Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Hi guys,

I've sold off my YJ with the LT1 engine and megasquirted TPI on top to help finance my Scrambler build.I'll start off to answer you first question- "Why TJ Tech Forum?" <edit>Moved now to CJ Forum</edit> Well, the hybrid Scrambler frame I had throttledowncustoms.com build for me is a hybrid with 4 corner coils and control arms- TJ style.

<edit>June 16th/2011- thread moved to CJ forum where the real round headlights live</edit>

I have a Aqualu Scrambler tub being delivered to my home tomorrow for it. With the rolling CJ7 I have my eye on I'll turn it into a CJ7/8 one-off.
Then

Now

I've had the replacement frame setup to take a 20 gal poly YJ tank just rear of the rear axle (CJ7 style) rather than use a deeper Scrambler poly tank between the last two members.

The 8 control arm mounts match TJs. I'll be using ironman4x4fab solid arms. [EDIT] Now Currie double Johnny Jointed [/EDIT]

OK- First really big question. Axles? I want to use Dana 60s front and rear. I have an NP205 Chevy pass drop tcase. I'll look for a Chevy style D60 for the pass side pumpkin.

What are the drawbacks if I just use full width axles? Any thoughts appreciated. [EDIT]Used full width with H2 rims. They have 5.5 inches backspacing)[/EDIT]

Edited Dec 2010 For new readers. The first 10 to 15 pages are me asking lots of questions... and getting very great answers
  1. Went with 1 Tons- Ford '95 Dana 60 front and Sterling 1 Ton rear. It took months of deliberation to settle on what axles to use. After months of searching I found these two trucks and bought them both. Both 1 tons. : Donor truck and new daily driver
  2. Picked up a sweet 5.0: Engine- Explorer 5.0 It wasn't this engine- bait and switch but got everything in the end. Good poser pic though, eh?
  3. Then the carnage began: Let's strip that baby down!
  4. Had the axles and knew where I was going with tires- BIG!So off to eBay I went for rims. I took another month or more figuring out if 17s or super cheap 16.5s were the way to go: I went with H2s that would need to get machined out for the larger Ford hubs- mine took a fair bit of work to do compared to others... I bought 17's so I could go with more back-spacing.H2 rims:
  5. Then the rest was just good old hard work for a while: Axle work Those axles got sandblasted 3 times. Man that was plenty of work!
  6. I bought Currie brackets. They took some grinding but were easier to use than building my own. I did have to do something different though with the front driver-side myself that turned out nicely.A bit of custom brackets work.
  7. Then a certified welder and tons and tons of pre-heating then a final third sandblasting: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ji...ml#post9960583
  8. And more axle work: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ji...ml#post9982530
  9. I basically spent 3 months through the summer on and off working on the geometry.
  10. Finally tires!! Woohoo!! 40" Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar
  11. Then brakes: Jim's brake setup Finally able to see how things fit in the rim.
  12. Then finally building a vehicle begins: Real building work!! And I get to see if all of my measuring an eye-ball engineering really allowed things to fit without rubbing. NO RUBBING!!
  13. Poser shots! poser
  14. Then brake bracket design and mock-up: Brake mock-up still happening.

15. Want to use long monotubes in as close to zero lift as possible. Built my own bar-pin mounts and located them outward of the mounting plate on the frame and axle to effectively stretch the possible shock stroke: Shock bar pins.

16. Finished the rear brakes- GM 3/4 ton 4x4 front calipers on the rear with E350 Frod cargo van disks: Rear brakes done.
  17. Finished the front brakes- stock Ford 1 ton calipers and disks: Front brakes done.
  18. 1 ton power brake capabilities for 40" rubber. Did a ton of shopping and looking around then found some smoking hot deals: Settled on dual diaphram booster and Vette master cylinder using YJ mounting bracket.
  19. Assembled those hot deals to see what fit: Parts assembled.
  20. De-greased, bead blasted old bracket, primed and painted everything: Parts together- waiting for chrome MC cover....

Here's where I'm at now- June 16th, 2011:
    Building crossmembers and setting the driveline in place: Crossmembers

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 01-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: last edited to add points 15 - 20
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
element54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, it doesn't even have an engine and it is already dripping oil.

Seriously though, it sounds like you are going to have a fun time building this thing up. I won't have much constructive to say but I'll definitely enjoy crawling this thread and learning through your experience.

Good luck with the build.
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i cant wait to see this build, its my dream jeep!! What drivetrain?
lumpster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what drivetrain and tire combo will determine your axles
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element54 View Post
Wow, it doesn't even have an engine and it is already dripping oil.

Seriously though, it sounds like you are going to have a fun time building this thing up. I won't have much constructive to say but I'll definitely enjoy crawling this thread and learning through your experience.

Good luck with the build.
OMG I'm laughing Yep- story of my happy life!

<edit> September 17/2011
I've got the engine in position and rolled it out for a couple of poser shots:

At this point I'm building a steering box relocation mount and about to modify the driver side shock and coil tower for better engine positioning.

Also- I began work on the design of an engine-mount/cradle:

and it has gone through a few iterations...

and finally this:

I should have this wrapped up pretty soon and be finished with the steering relocation box as well before the New Year... hopefully.
</edit>
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
what drivetrain and tire combo will determine your axles
Yes- ok here goes:

Chevy small block 327 this time with the TPI on top of it- I'm only going for 300 hp.

700R4 on my slab waiting for a new output shaft. Also, 4.10s are planned.

Chevy NP205 without a doubler for now- I know- only 2:1 low range! I'll live with it as is for a bit.

Maybe 35s later, but for now BFG 33 ATs.

I figure I may as well do the Dana 60s as I only have one life to play. May as well go big, and if I have to live with a low pinion front Dana 60, well, it won't kill me!
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the 700R4 is going to be a pisser to get a driveshaft around from what I understand. Are you married to the pass drop 205? would you consider a 300?

for 33's or 35's I wouldn't mess with 60's. 44/9 would be a better set up.
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
the 700R4 is going to be a pisser to get a driveshaft around from what I understand. Are you married to the pass drop 205? would you consider a 300?

Isn't the 300 a pass drop?
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:

My T350 is pretty much the same shape as the 700. It is only a titch longer than the t350.
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed & crawled. This is gonna be a fun one!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Yes- ok here goes:

Chevy small block 327 this time with the TPI on top of it- I'm only going for 300 hp.

700R4 on my slab waiting for a new output shaft. Also, 4.10s are planned.

Chevy NP205 without a doubler for now- I know- only 2:1 low range! I'll live with it as is for a bit.

Maybe 35s later, but for now BFG 33 ATs.

I figure I may as well do the Dana 60s as I only have one life to play. May as well go big, and if I have to live with a low pinion front Dana 60, well, it won't kill me!
Isnt 33s on a dana 60 pretty much gonna give you like no ground clearance at all? if youre never gonna go over 35s why not just put in a set of 44s?

Unread 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSJ View Post
Isnt 33s on a dana 60 pretty much gonna give you like no ground clearance at all? if youre never gonna go over 35s why not just put in a set of 44s?
44s with chromo shafts incase 37s happen

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSJ View Post
How much ground clearance will be lost going from a D35 to D60?? Never seen one. OK, maybe I have- not to sound dumb, but i'm not doing that sort of wheeling.

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 02-21-2010 at 07:27 PM..
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

you can have the same ground clearance with a D60 as you do with a D35, but it will cost you a rockjock d60 housing.
lumpster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
you can have the same ground clearance with a D60 as you do with a D35, but it will cost you a rockjock d60 housing.
I can just do this.

Shaving a Dana 60 Housing for Clearance

Ground clearance issue resolved. I guess I just want to see that massive set of axles under there. This could be a really nice build.

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.