Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

436K views 2K replies 124 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've sold off my YJ with the LT1 engine and megasquirted TPI on top to help finance my Scrambler build.I'll start off to answer you first question- "Why TJ Tech Forum?" <edit>Moved now to CJ Forum</edit> Well, the hybrid Scrambler frame I had throttledowncustoms.com build for me is a hybrid with 4 corner coils and control arms- TJ style.

<edit>June 16th/2011- thread moved to CJ forum where the real round headlights live:p</edit>

I have a Aqualu Scrambler tub being delivered to my home tomorrow for it. With the rolling CJ7 I have my eye on I'll turn it into a CJ7/8 one-off.
Then

Now

I've had the replacement frame setup to take a 20 gal poly YJ tank just rear of the rear axle (CJ7 style) rather than use a deeper Scrambler poly tank between the last two members.

The 8 control arm mounts match TJs. I'll be using ironman4x4fab solid arms. [EDIT] Now Currie double Johnny Jointed [/EDIT]

OK- First really big question. Axles? I want to use Dana 60s front and rear. I have an NP205 Chevy pass drop tcase. I'll look for a Chevy style D60 for the pass side pumpkin.

What are the drawbacks if I just use full width axles? Any thoughts appreciated. [EDIT]Used full width with H2 rims. They have 5.5 inches backspacing)[/EDIT]

Edited Dec 2010 For new readers. The first 10 to 15 pages are me asking lots of questions... and getting very great answers
  1. Went with 1 Tons- Ford '95 Dana 60 front and Sterling 1 Ton rear. It took months of deliberation to settle on what axles to use. After months of searching I found these two trucks and bought them both. Both 1 tons. : Donor truck and new daily driver
  2. Picked up a sweet 5.0: Engine- Explorer 5.0 It wasn't this engine- bait and switch but got everything in the end. Good poser pic though, eh?
  3. Then the carnage began: Let's strip that baby down!
  4. Had the axles and knew where I was going with tires- BIG!:thumbsup:So off to eBay I went for rims. I took another month or more figuring out if 17s or super cheap 16.5s were the way to go: I went with H2s that would need to get machined out for the larger Ford hubs- mine took a fair bit of work to do compared to others... I bought 17's so I could go with more back-spacing.H2 rims:
  5. Then the rest was just good old hard work for a while: Axle work Those axles got sandblasted 3 times. Man that was plenty of work!
  6. I bought Currie brackets. They took some grinding but were easier to use than building my own. I did have to do something different though with the front driver-side myself that turned out nicely.A bit of custom brackets work.
  7. Then a certified welder and tons and tons of pre-heating then a final third sandblasting: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jims-new-hybrid-scrambler-build-tons-questions-coming-976744/index29.html#post9960583
  8. And more axle work: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jims-new-hybrid-scrambler-build-tons-questions-coming-976744/index30.html#post9982530
  9. I basically spent 3 months through the summer on and off working on the geometry.
  10. Finally tires!! Woohoo!! 40" Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar
  11. Then brakes: Jim's brake setup Finally able to see how things fit in the rim.
  12. Then finally building a vehicle begins: Real building work!! And I get to see if all of my measuring an eye-ball engineering really allowed things to fit without rubbing. NO RUBBING!!
  13. Poser shots! poser
  14. Then brake bracket design and mock-up: Brake mock-up still happening.

15. Want to use long monotubes in as close to zero lift as possible. Built my own bar-pin mounts and located them outward of the mounting plate on the frame and axle to effectively stretch the possible shock stroke: Shock bar pins.

16. Finished the rear brakes- GM 3/4 ton 4x4 front calipers on the rear with E350 Frod cargo van disks: Rear brakes done.
  17. Finished the front brakes- stock Ford 1 ton calipers and disks: Front brakes done.
  18. 1 ton power brake capabilities for 40" rubber. Did a ton of shopping and looking around then found some smoking hot deals: Settled on dual diaphram booster and Vette master cylinder using YJ mounting bracket.
  19. Assembled those hot deals to see what fit: Parts assembled.
  20. De-greased, bead blasted old bracket, primed and painted everything: Parts together- waiting for chrome MC cover....

Here's where I'm at now- June 16th, 2011:
    Building crossmembers and setting the driveline in place: Crossmembers

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, it doesn't even have an engine and it is already dripping oil. :D

Seriously though, it sounds like you are going to have a fun time building this thing up. I won't have much constructive to say but I'll definitely enjoy crawling this thread and learning through your experience.

Good luck with the build.

#5 ·
Wow, it doesn't even have an engine and it is already dripping oil. :D

Seriously though, it sounds like you are going to have a fun time building this thing up. I won't have much constructive to say but I'll definitely enjoy crawling this thread and learning through your experience.

Good luck with the build.
OMG I'm laughing :cheers2: Yep- story of my happy life!

<edit> September 17/2011
I've got the engine in position and rolled it out for a couple of poser shots:

At this point I'm building a steering box relocation mount and about to modify the driver side shock and coil tower for better engine positioning.

Also- I began work on the design of an engine-mount/cradle:

and it has gone through a few iterations...

and finally this:

I should have this wrapped up pretty soon and be finished with the steering relocation box as well before the New Year... hopefully.
</edit>

#6 ·
Yes- ok here goes:

Chevy small block 327 this time with the TPI on top of it- I'm only going for 300 hp.

700R4 on my slab waiting for a new output shaft. Also, 4.10s are planned.

Chevy NP205 without a doubler for now- I know- only 2:1 low range! I'll live with it as is for a bit.

Maybe 35s later, but for now BFG 33 ATs.

I figure I may as well do the Dana 60s as I only have one life to play. May as well go big, and if I have to live with a low pinion front Dana 60, well, it won't kill me!

#21 ·
Ironman4x4 sells solid steel arms for a great price. These arms will allow me to scoot my axles around 4 inches or so.

The mount points are located for standard length arms.

Also, I'm only looking for an inch or two of lift. I'll open up the wheel wells and raise the fenders for wheel fit.

#25 ·
Still trying to figure out what axles to use. I was going to go with a Ford 8.8 rear with disks, a 4.10 and lsd...

But... the massive Dana 60 has caught my attention. No reason in particular, but I would like this to be my one special project to enjoy and be a little different than the rest around here.

Also, I'm going to have this as a daily driver. Ground clearance had never been an issue for my YJ. I know the Scrambler will be longer and thus prone to tagging the odd lump, but I can always raise it more it I want to, later. Those arms will give tons of room for adjustment.

#26 ·
I think I would go ahead and do the 60's, but I would up the tire size to 35's rather than 33's. My reasoning on this is that it is much easier to do the axles up front and never have to worry about upgrading them if you make other changes later on. Plus you should be pushing more torque to the axles running a 327, than those of us who are running a stock 4.0.

#42 ·
wow, idk if i was the only one but the title scared me for a second, i thought u were going to attempt to build an electric powered crawler. im glad to see that is the opposite of what u are planning. good luck with the build.

#44 ·
Is there an axle/truck model guide anywhere?

I've got a really cheap GM 3/4 ton truck that i can buy but i don't know what axles may be in it, or even if the 1991 gm is ifs... Anyone know?

I should have mentioned that it is 150 km from here so I haven't seen it. Thanks

#48 ·
you want to do something unique? put unimog 404 portal axles under there. no lift with 37s. that would be awesome.

#61 ·
Well have you figured out what size tires you want to run? Decide on that and then JF can help you pick out axles :D (IMHO if I were to start all over, I would go for 37's and stop it there. RARELY do you really need to go larger) Depends what your doing with it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.