Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #751
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jim,
I've been following the thread, and love your work (play). Since the thread is getting quite long, I didn't want to go back and see if you already have sliders made. I have a set of shrockworks sliders, and they were $500 plus shipping.

Seems to me you could start on yours next, and then add those to your list of growing orders.

BTW:
I have some money set aside for my tube bender, so you can start on that anytime now...

Keep up the good play, and quit sticking your finger where it doesn't belong please!
Eric

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #752
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildt View Post
i agree, i think the most pressure if hit hard will be more towards the frame than the engine side, looks great Jim, take pictures when you go snowboarding in your CJ

Thanks!! I'm getting to where I carry my camera with me almost everywhere I go, I'll be taking plenty of pictures when this is done too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Hey Jim,
I've been following the thread, and love your work (play). Since the thread is getting quite long, I didn't want to go back and see if you already have sliders made. I have a set of shrockworks sliders, and they were $500 plus shipping.

Seems to me you could start on yours next, and then add those to your list of growing orders.

BTW:
I have some money set aside for my tube bender, so you can start on that anytime now...

Keep up the good play, and quit sticking your finger where it doesn't belong please!
Eric

Hi Eric, we do talk allot on here. Guess that's why the thread is so long.

You're reading my mind on the sliders. That's what I plan to work on next. Here's my plan. I want them firmly attached to the frame, not welded either so that means either drilling through the frame and intsalling crush sleeves or making some kind of mount like a reciever hitch would use.

This stuff is going to be heavy duty too since my roll cage tie in for the front bar will be mounted to this too. I also think I need to make some kind of removeable step, the Jeep is pretty high, I'll be 50 next year. You get the picture.

Friday I was thinking of what I need to schedule time for on the cnc and one of the things will be the bender parts. I plan to make several sets so I have them ready.

Thanks for the finger advice too, which I will take!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #753
1983 CJ7 

Jim, I am pretty sure Fatman built sliders using receivers mounted to the frame. I have not found nerf bars that are not priced out of sight so I may build sliders with a built in step running below the rails.
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #754
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Jim, roughed in receiver for step a while back, (got idea somewhere on JF)might incorporate into sliders

Unread 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #755
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks!! I'm getting to where I carry my camera with me almost everywhere I go, I'll be taking plenty of pictures when this is done too.

Hi Eric, we do talk allot on here. Guess that's why the thread is so long.

You're reading my mind on the sliders. That's what I plan to work on next. Here's my plan. I want them firmly attached to the frame, not welded either so that means either drilling through the frame and intsalling crush sleeves or making some kind of mount like a reciever hitch would use.

This stuff is going to be heavy duty too since my roll cage tie in for the front bar will be mounted to this too. I also think I need to make some kind of removeable step, the Jeep is pretty high, I'll be 50 next year. You get the picture.

Friday I was thinking of what I need to schedule time for on the cnc and one of the things will be the bender parts. I plan to make several sets so I have them ready.

Thanks for the finger advice too, which I will take!!
OK. What were they called in the old KungFu tv series? Master and Grasshopper or something? You guys I'll refer to as Master (like it's obvious) and I'll be Butterfly here...

My wife will need a step to get up and I thought about incorporating it into a nerf bar setup. Also, I don't want to go right out and crush my new shiney tub...

I've been thinking about drawing up a combined slider with a step up- either sprung hinged or electric retract... I know- overkill but all the options are wide open.

So, little Butterfly (at 52 years of age) still looking for a better combo than exists right now, is sitting and watching...

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Master Po: Did you slip on that step again?
Po: No master, it was so well engineered I found harmony by using it to get in!:
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #756
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
50!!! SO WHAT! BIG DEAL!! What's 50?? You Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Jim, roughed in receiver for step a while back, (got idea somewhere on JF)might incorporate into sliders

This is a cool idea and good detail. I wonder, though, if it will bounce around, knocking, making rattling sounds on the trail? I've never seen a reciever that didn't if it didn't have enough weight on it, like a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
OK. What were they called in the old KungFu tv series? Master and Grasshopper or something? You guys I'll refer to as Master (like it's obvious) and I'll be Butterfly here...

So, little Butterfly (at 52 years of age) still looking for a better combo than exists right now, is sitting and watching...

Po: No master, it was so well engineered I found harmony by using it to get in!:
Another Old Fart!! I'm feeling good these days!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #757
1983 CJ7 

Easy fix, weld a nut on top or bottom and install a bolt to keep it from rattling!
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #758
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Jim, I am pretty sure Fatman built sliders using receivers mounted to the frame. I have not found nerf bars that are not priced out of sight so I may build sliders with a built in step running below the rails.
He did Dave, now that you mention it. He also made a set of steps that fit in a reciever too. I like the idea. Thanks.

[quote=Davidnex;10757997]Jim, roughed in receiver for step a while back, (got idea somewhere on JF)might incorporate into slidersQUOTE]

Thanks David. I had seen yours a while back and liked the idea.

Quote:

My wife will need a step to get up and I thought about incorporating it into a nerf bar setup. Also, I don't want to go right out and crush my new shiney tub...

I've been thinking about drawing up a combined slider with a step up- either sprung hinged or electric retract... I know- overkill but all the options are wide open.

Jim I think you're being a bit modest. I think from the work you're doing on your current build and what you've done in the past, I watched your videos , you're an old hand at this stuff.

What would be nice in a step would be something that would move out of the way when it hit something solid then resume it's postion.

Wish I were the grasshopper, then I wouldn't need the step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
50!!! SO WHAT! BIG DEAL!! What's 50?? You Old Fart!

This is a cool idea and good detail. I wonder, though, if it will bounce around, knocking, making rattling sounds on the trail? I've never seen a reciever that didn't if it didn't have enough weight on it, like a boat.

Another Old Fart!! I'm feeling good these days!
Hey Scott at 50 we're some of the older guys on here. I feel as good as I did when I was 20 andddddddddd much wiser . Not all that comes with age is bad. Besides as high as these lifted CJ's are everyone needs a step, although the younger guys won't admit it.

Dave's idea to fix the rattle is what I'd do.

My build thread
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #759
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Quote: This is a cool idea and good detail. I wonder, though, if it will bounce around, knocking, making rattling sounds on the trail? I've never seen a receiver that didn't if it didn't have enough weight on it, like a boat.

To stop the rattle and create a tight fit, weld some beads on tube then grind them down, fit, grind, fit. Worked on previous project.
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #760
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I think I'll build something permanent for a nerf/step and skip a tub mounted slider.

Probably hinged down step that manually retracts and uses a hefty torsion coil spring to keep it up when not being stood on.

To stop it from bouncing while on washboard or constantly irregular choppy terrain I'll just use a lock pin and spring ring to get locked up.

Thanks for the brainstorming here!

Also- don't for forget to have a functioning winch and gear before you go out to test your brand new rig. You should see the rear corner of my YJ where the tree ran into me from behind while I was roaring around in the scrub trying to climb back onto the logging road!
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #761
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Easy fix, weld a nut on top or bottom and install a bolt to keep it from rattling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Quote: This is a cool idea and good detail. I wonder, though, if it will bounce around, knocking, making rattling sounds on the trail? I've never seen a receiver that didn't if it didn't have enough weight on it, like a boat.

To stop the rattle and create a tight fit, weld some beads on tube then grind them down, fit, grind, fit. Worked on previous project.
Great ideas! Either method would work.

Quote:
...Also- don't for forget to have a functioning winch and gear before you go out to test your brand new rig. You should see the rear corner of my YJ where the tree ran into me from behind while I was roaring around in the scrub trying to climb back onto the logging road!
OUCH!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #762
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I think I'll build something permanent for a nerf/step and skip a tub mounted slider.

Probably hinged down step that manually retracts and uses a hefty torsion coil spring to keep it up when not being stood on.

To stop it from bouncing while on washboard or constantly irregular choppy terrain I'll just use a lock pin and spring ring to get locked up.

Thanks for the brainstorming here!

Also- don't for forget to have a functioning winch and gear before you go out to test your brand new rig. You should see the rear corner of my YJ where the tree ran into me from behind while I was roaring around in the scrub trying to climb back onto the logging road!
I'm with you on not mounting to the tub. I like the looks of sliders made thay way but it looks like another place to introduce rust later on, and I've had enough of that suff.

I've got one of the old Warn 8724 that a guy gave me, needs rebuilding. That's what I plan to use. To be so rooted down it has always amazed me how quick they can move and get ya.

My build thread
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #763
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trees moving??? I've had more problems with the road disappearing below me!!! The winch save me from that!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #764
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Trees moving??? I've had more problems with the road disappearing below me!!! The winch save me from that!!!
In your line of work Bill I figured you'd have heard that excuss before.

Guy I have a question about sliders. I see them made where they either bolt right to the tub or attach to the frame and have a square tube under the tub. Both have dom bent and welded to them that protrude past the outside edges of the tub. Most of what I see the tubes are welded on at an angle pointing up. Why is this? Why could they not just be welded on at a 90 degree angle to the side of the tub. To me that would make a better step and give just as good of protection.

Ideas???

My build thread
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #765
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
In your line of work Bill I figured you'd have heard that excuss before.

Guy I have a question about sliders. I see them made where they either bolt right to the tub or attach to the frame and have a square tube under the tub. Both have dom bent and welded to them that protrude past the outside edges of the tub. Most of what I see the tubes are welded on at an angle pointing up. Why is this? Why could they not just be welded on at a 90 degree angle to the side of the tub. To me that would make a better step and give just as good of protection.

Ideas???
Wouldn't they be more prone to getting hung up on something at 90*?

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=-Zona-]For some reason I keep underestimating you.[/QUOTE]
CACooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.