Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #61
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I marked the location of the new holes to fit the YJ tub. I cut these body mounts off the other day and will need to make some new ones, I made them back when I was planning on using a CJ tub. Things change. The two white lines show the approximate location the holes need to be moved out. The two mounts in front of the wheels that are different between the YJ & CJ I plan to make new plates that will fit inside the tub where the bolt threads in instead of cutting the mounts off the frame.

Do you guys think I ought to spray the bare metal on the frame and bottom of the body mounts with weldable primer?

100_0126.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #62
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wow! You were REALLY busy! The flag pole looks awesome. You have a very pretty place. Can't wait to see your work on the Jeep.

I had bought a Kobalt brand spray gun for my painting. It was Lowe's "high end" gun... ~$60. I discovered later that there are NO rebuild kits/parts available for it. It is basically a "throw away" gun. I DID find some o-rings in the specialty drawer on the bolt aisle... that made the gun useable again. But like Dave, I ruined some of the rubber cleaning the gun with solvents, so be careful. I haven't tried an HVLP gun yet, but I'll get one for the tub paint on Clay's rig.

Keep the pics rolling, Brother! Can't wait to see your progress...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #63
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
The two mounts in front of the wheels that are different between the YJ & CJ I plan to make new plates that will fit inside the tub where the bolt threads in instead of cutting the mounts off the frame.

Do you guys think I ought to spray the bare metal on the frame and bottom of the body mounts with weldable primer?

It won't hurt to use the weld-thru primer.

Vince (85YellowCJ) built new body mounts for his CJ frame, YJ tub using a piece of rectangular tube. They looked great and very easy to fabricate, I am sure he will send you a PM with pictures; I have not been able to convince him to start a build thread

The flagpole and stacked stone base look very nice!

Scott, it will save you some money if you learn from *my* mistakes
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #64
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

Scott, it will save you some money if you learn from *my* mistakes
In theory... I just haven't been able to master the concept! I keep discovering mistakes that you haven't made!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #65
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys about the flagpole. I enjoy making stuff like that and my wife does too. It's nice to use stuff that free too! Just some effort.

Dave I did see the mounts that Vince made. We sent a couple of pms back and forth about them and discussing what we were going to do. You're right his look great. They may get copied!!

My build thread
Unread 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #66
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Today I started on the job of moving the body mounts, also needed to clean and organize the shop some to make room to work. You guys ever have to do that . I turned the tub over to confirm the specs I found online, I don't trust other people's information very much. Everything measured out fine. My tub dimensions matched the ones on the drawing perfect.

I had made my own rear bumper that replaced the rear crossmember that was rusted too far to keep. Matkins frames utilizes the same thing in their frames in that they offer them with the rear tub mounts made into the bumper. I liked it so that's how I made mine, similiar. They also do a good job of tying the bumper to the frame. I also want to order some weld through primer before I weld any of these mounts in place, might give it a bit more protection between the frame and new mounting plate.

Also the tub mounts in front of the rear wheels need to be moved forward about 4 1/16". I had thought of simply making an insert that would fit into the existing pocket where the YJ tub mounts are located so that I could use the CJ tub mounts but have decided against it. I'll get some 4" square tubing and make my own. Wish I'd have had that today! Anyway here's some pictures of what things are looking like.
100_0146.jpg   100_0148.jpg   100_0150.jpg   100_0149.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #67
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You are Bad to the Bone!

Unread 09-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #68
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I got a chance to work on the Jeep some this afternoon. I've been wanting to get started on the mount in front of the rear wheels. I bought some 1/8" 4x4 tubing and after looking at it decided it's too light for the mounts. I had some 1/4" 4x4 tubing and made some out of that. They have a little more material on the bottom edges than needed but I don't want to trim any more off till I get the tub on. I may somehow tie the role bar mount to it. I do plan to tie the entire cage into the frame as well. The mounts may need a little trimming where they sit against the frame but that will also wait till the tub is on. Right now they look to be a bit too long, that's good. I can line everything up that way by cutting some off the backside.

Ordered the body mount bushings too, they ought to be here tomorrow. Anyway here's what things are looking like. You guys have a great day.
100_0154.jpg   100_0156.jpg   100_0155.jpg   100_0157.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looking good Jim. I envy guys like you! I was thinking... your frame could rot away but your mounts will still be there!!

Unread 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #70
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Looking good Jim. I envy guys like you! I was thinking... your frame could rot away but your mounts will still be there!!
Thanks Scott. Some of the guys been talking about preventing frame rot, rustproofing and cleaning frame.. and there has been talk of hot dip galvanizing frames. My frame wasn't too bad when I painted it, as far as rust. I'm thinking after all the welding, cutting and grinding are done and everything fits I may get it galvanized and then put some Raptor bed liner on it. It'll outlast me!! You know I am a bit younger than you, I need to be looking long term

My build thread
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #71
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Very nice work Jim, looking great. Those mounts will last forever.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #72
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Hey Jim. Just caught whim of you build thread. Excellent work thus far!

SUBSCRIBED!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #73
1983 CJ7 

Nice work Jim

I did not measure them but the original mounts look close to 1/8" thick, did you you find the 1/8" tube to be thinner than 1/8"?
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #74
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

I just spent a good while going through your thread, Jim. I'm getting inspired to start working on my project again after a year long hiatus. Keep up the great work!
caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks Scott. Some of the guys been talking about preventing frame rot, rustproofing and cleaning frame.. and there has been talk of hot dip galvanizing frames. My frame wasn't too bad when I painted it, as far as rust. I'm thinking after all the welding, cutting and grinding are done and everything fits I may get it galvanized and then put some Raptor bed liner on it. It'll outlast me!! You know I am a bit younger than you, I need to be looking long term
Galvanizing would be, IMO, the ultimate frame protection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... to make paint stick to galvanize (long term) you will have to rough it up, which diminshes the whole galvanizing process. At least, this is what I have been taught. But you could be the first in your neighborhood to ride around with a galvanized frame! Think of the fad you'd create!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.