Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #31
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Can't wait to see this unfold. If it's anything like Dave's build, I know I won't be disappointed!
I hope it turns out as well as Dave's has!! There are several great standards on here to try and duplicate as far as builds go and Dave's is one of them that I've been watching for a while.

I hope to get more work done but for a few days this week and next weekend we will be busy getting ready for some family and friends that are going to be here next Saturday to try and eat us out of house and home, the kids are getting good at that. Should be getting a few parts in the first of next week!!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Got everything but the fuse box. How do you like your since you got it running and how is the fuel economy? Thanks for the offer of help. I will most likely need it!

Just turning the key gets a smile on my face. FI is the way to go. Fuel economy is about 17mpg but having a V8 implies the owner to hit it hard. You gonna need a set of OEM wiring prints. You need these. 1994 Mustang Wiring Diagram - Helm Incorporated

Go to some of the mustang forums and find a fuse box, it's gonna help.
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #33
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Living View Post
Just turning the key gets a smile on my face. FI is the way to go. Fuel economy is about 17mpg but having a V8 implies the owner to hit it hard. You gonna need a set of OEM wiring prints. You need these. 1994 Mustang Wiring Diagram - Helm Incorporated

Go to some of the mustang forums and find a fuse box, it's gonna help.
Thanks for the link. I'll see about getting it ordered Monday.

Yes I have that same problem. The better my right foot bearing down on the long pedal works the more I want to do it. So there goes any economy. Oh well I don't do drugs so maybe this is my "high".

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

The 94, 95 mustang used a CCRM. I've found that other fords use them also, only difference is single speed vs dual speed radiator fan control that the 94 95 mustang uses. I picked one up for a spare at the JY for $10. Also picked up a spare dizzy with remote mounted TFI and a spare TFI for $5.

Your choice of engine years has put you in a different realm. Only a few of us have attempted this. Not hard but be patient. Your gonna need it.

Give me a shout.
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
The 94, 95 mustang used a CCRM. I've found that other fords use them also, only difference is single speed vs dual speed radiator fan control that the 94 95 mustang uses. I picked one up for a spare at the JY for $10. Also picked up a spare dizzy with remote mounted TFI and a spare TFI for $5.

Your choice of engine years has put you in a different realm. Only a few of us have attempted this. Not hard but be patient. Your gonna need it.

Give me a shout.
Are you running an electric fan on yours? Also what's you thoughts on the Painless Wiring harness for these?

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #36
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

I was able to grab everything, engine, harness, fuse box, ecm, radiator fan, ccrm. So I'm running the 94 mustang dual speed fan. Made mounts to attach to CJ radiator. Painless don't make a harness for these. Do a google for all mustang forums and you'll find everything you'll need
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #37
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I was able to grab everything, engine, harness, fuse box, ecm, radiator fan, ccrm. So I'm running the 94 mustang dual speed fan. Made mounts to attach to CJ radiator. Painless don't make a harness for these. Do a google for all mustang forums and you'll find everything you'll need
Wasn't aware that Painless didn't make a harness for these too. I do notice in Summitt and similiar places there aren't as many aftermarket parts for the 94 & 95. I didn't know all of this back when I bought it. So is there a benefit by using these years of engines?

My build thread
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

The engines by themselves can take whatever modification you want to do. The computer is the bottle neck. Ford was working towards the transition from OBD 1 to OBD 2 that each car manufacture had to comply with by 1996. The 94 mustang 3.8 was actually OBD 2 compliant several years early. So anyway ford was messing around with the computer and just didnít allow for engine modifications to work together in the SN94, 95 years. Only these years of mustang parts work together. But, I can tell you, Iím very happy how this swap turned out and donít see a need to change anything.

Painless actually does make a harness for this but for the $$$$ I decided to make the OEM stuff work for me. Plus I think its MAP not MAF. Like I mentioned before I took everything associated with the engine, engine harness, main harness, computer, CCRM, fuse box, electric radiator fan assembly, TFI. Your going to need all this from another mustang or spend the $$$$ for the painless stuff. Lots of mustang forums have classified sections. I had over 40 hours on modifying my harness. It takes time matching the wire print to actual wire and deciding what you need.
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #39
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

This kind of stuff is over my head. Looks like I may have to learn some new stuff. Thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll have questions later on. Sounds like once it's wired it's pretty well a done deal. Then if I want to make internal changes to the engine it won't have effect on what's been done.

My build thread
Unread 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #40
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
This kind of stuff is over my head. Looks like I may have to learn some new stuff.
That's the way I feel on my build, but dang if it ain't fun.

Really like your machine work, wish I had those skills. Looking forward to the rest of the build. Don't be surprised if I copy something from you.

Joe

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #41
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
That's the way I feel on my build, but dang if it ain't fun.

Really like your machine work, wish I had those skills. Looking forward to the rest of the build. Don't be surprised if I copy something from you.

Joe
Yep it is fun. If this starts to look like work then I'm in trouble. Joining this forum has been a big education for me. It also motivates me too.

Copy any idea you want Joe. I've copied some myself and will continue to do so. Some of what I've seen other guys doing I look at and think "why didn't I think of that". Great ideas. Watching other guys builds is a great way to keep track of ideas too. I'm subscribed to yours!! I may copy something from you too.

My build thread
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #42
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I bought something today that I hope will help me in putting things back together so they last. I've convinced myself, after seeing such good results from my friends on here, that I need a paint gun. I've did the rattle can thing for a long time and have always thought a paint gun would be the way to go but never did try it or have any experience at it. I do have a friend that is one of the best paint and body men around. He sold me a couple of spray guns that he can't use anymore, they're not HVLP. Anyway I got a pretty good deal on them. The second was only an extra $25.00 so I went with getting both. I don't plan to paint the tub myself but everything else I will.

Now I'll have paint questions to you guys that are in the know.

Here's my used/new tools.
100_0128.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #43
1983 CJ7 

I think you will enjoy painting with the spray guns, rattle cans have their place but for work of any volume the spray guns are king.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #44
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

There seems to be more paint available for a spray gun too. I'll have lots of things that need paint!

My build thread
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #45
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Got pretty much all the bugs worked out on NorthEastFL4x4.com. I'm looking forward to keeping up with the build on my site as well as this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.