Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 215 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #3211
1983 CJ7 

Looks good Jim

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #3212
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Taking a little break from work to work on the gas tank, might be a short lived break though! I cut the passenger side end of the tank out this evening and it fits up real nice. Also notice the seams are all cleaned off to bare metal. Hot rolled steel has a surface coating on it that really ought to always be ground off before welding. I don't always do that but in this case it will be done. I want to make sure my welds don't have any impurites in them as best I can and this is one way to do so. Some of you may be wondering why the holes are not cut in for the filler and vent. I'm using a YJ tub and the filler is located on the driver's side. I like it on that side so instead of moving the filler on the YJ tub to match that of a CJ I left it alone.

Here's the fit I want for all the seams. The corners for a V that will be filled with weld. It'll make for a nice looking weld that really won't need any clean up at all and it's much easier to weld than if the ends were allowed to be fluch where all you have is the flat seam.

Here's the end tacked in place and another look at the seam. When I did the tacks I cut the heated, oxidixed end off the wire between each tack. It makes for a better tack that does not have contaminates in it and requires less heat to strike the arc. This is something that ought to be done when welding patch panels in the body too. Try it next time and see how much better the tack weld looks. Also before I weld that solid the metal will be cleaned off with a wire wheel so that I am back down to a clean surface.

I also cleaned the metal on ths inside of the tank. I may weld those seams there too. Not sure about that yet though.

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3213
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I wish I had this advice before welding up my plasma table water reservoir! I had a pin-hole leak that was a pain to fix... Awesome as always, Jim!
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #3214
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Looks great Jim. Nice work as always
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #3215
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Real nice Jim. I cut that little ball off the wire on my MIG as well, 90% of the time.

I wouldn't weld the inside of the tank, at CAT on the tank line , they don't weld them either.

I think it really depends on how much abuse you think the tank will have. Are you going to use a baffles in the tank?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #3216
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Nice work Jim. Do you need to use a sealer on the inside and when welding the last piece how do you make sure no wire passes thru the groove and into the tank?
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #3217
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I wish I had this advice before welding up my plasma table water reservoir! I had a pin-hole leak that was a pain to fix... Awesome as always, Jim!
Thanks Jim. I'm hoping not to have any leaks but won't be surprised if I end up with some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
Looks great Jim. Nice work as always
Thanks Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Real nice Jim. I cut that little ball off the wire on my MIG as well, 90% of the time.

I wouldn't weld the inside of the tank, at CAT on the tank line , they don't weld them either.

I think it really depends on how much abuse you think the tank will have. Are you going to use a baffles in the tank?

Bill
Thanks Bill. I'll weld the outside first then if that turns out good I likely won't weld the inside fillet. There will be two baffles equally spaced running parralell to the frame. I have some 14 gauge steel that I'll use for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Nice work Jim. Do you need to use a sealer on the inside and when welding the last piece how do you make sure no wire passes thru the groove and into the tank?
Thanks Rob. I'm going to do some checking on the sealer. It seems like a good idea but I'm going to call some of the manufacturers to see what they can tell me first. If the top fits right there won't be a gap for wire to pass through. I'll just have to be extra careful in cutting and fitting it.
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #3218
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Monday I decided to do the final work on the block before I took it to the machine shop. Thanks to Dave and Bill for giving me the nudge.
I took all of the freeze plugs out and cleaned the gasket surfaces. I also ground off some of the roughness off from the casting process. The engine showed very little signs of wear but when I took the freeze plugs out the water jacket was full of sludge. Enough to have clogged up a radiator. No doubt there'd been overheating problems. This alone made me glad I tore the engine down. Not yet sure whether the block will be bored or not. One cylinder was .004 oversize and after honing that might not work out. The rotating assembly is going to be balanced too. Going to polish the crank and chamfer the oil passage holes in it. They also have the heads and will just be grinding the valves and seats. I checked the deck surfaces with my straigh-tedge and they all looked good.

Unread 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #3219
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Our engine rebuilders only use furnaces here to clean out all that old sludge. At the moment, as my 302 is also about to get a going over..., I wish there was a place with a caustic dipping pool to eat all that garbage away. My Explorer 302 came from Georgia, so it has seen lots of humidity and heat, too.

Why not weld the inside seams of your tank? You'll have it open so it's double the insurance, isn't it? Just asking.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #3220
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

They dipp the block here, Jim. I think it's some kind of acid. Been thinking on the tank welds and will likely weld both inside and out, except for the top. It goes on last.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #3221
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wow! That really IS sludgey. Glad you caught that.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #3222
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Jim, I read this entire thread and wanted to say thank you for the education. What a great bunch of guys on this thread and on JF in general, I am glad to have found this place.

Lee
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #3223
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The tank construction looks great Jim, nice job.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #3224
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jim,

I always learn something when I click on your thread.

Thank you, sir.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #3225
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Jim,

I always learn something when I click on your thread.

Thank you, sir.

Matt
YOU learn something when you read the back panel of a cereal box!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.