Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 212 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Reply
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #3166
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,274
Jim, my opinion after owning an 89 Auto hatchback with 3.23 gears and a 93 Standard notchback with 3.73 gears I would save my money and build it stock. The little motors loved to spin and still provided 18 mpg with me drilling them constantly. Sure, pick up another 25-50hp with add-ons but what do you really gain? More wear and tear, maybe 16 mpg and a lighter wallet.

__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #3167
mvbrady
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Farmington, New Mexico
Posts: 325
Another .02 cents,
you could use use Crane roller rockers #F3ZE-6529-AB....same as a 93 cobra
TFS-2500100 spring kit..ditch the valve seals in the kit...factory valve seals are better.
and keep the cam stock... for good drivability and idle....the extra power from better flowing heads is totally worth it.

I found out that building up a set of GT 40 is pretty much the same cost of a nice set of used alum. heads
gt 40 heads used...$250
rebuild...$400
roller rockers....$150-200
spring kit...$150
that's $950 for some old cast iron heads....trickflow/edelbrock/ even AFR's go for that....used of course.
just something else to consider.
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #3168
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Mannnn... I'm glad I'm engine ignorant! It will be good to sit and watch you pros build this thing.
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #3169
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Jim, my opinion after owning an 89 Auto hatchback with 3.23 gears and a 93 Standard notchback with 3.73 gears I would save my money and build it stock. The little motors loved to spin and still provided 18 mpg with me drilling them constantly. Sure, pick up another 25-50hp with add-ons but what do you really gain? More wear and tear, maybe 16 mpg and a lighter wallet.
It's going to be close to stock. Unless I change my mind I'll put a new factory spec cam back in. Depending on how the cylinders look will decide on the pistons. They stock ones may stay. If they do I think I'll shave a little off the head to bring the compression up to about 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvbrady View Post
Another .02 cents,
you could use use Crane roller rockers #F3ZE-6529-AB....same as a 93 cobra
TFS-2500100 spring kit..ditch the valve seals in the kit...factory valve seals are better.
and keep the cam stock... for good drivability and idle....the extra power from better flowing heads is totally worth it.

I found out that building up a set of GT 40 is pretty much the same cost of a nice set of used alum. heads
gt 40 heads used...$250
rebuild...$400
roller rockers....$150-200
spring kit...$150
that's $950 for some old cast iron heads....trickflow/edelbrock/ even AFR's go for that....used of course.
just something else to consider.
Good points on the heads. I got a call from my cousin the other day and was talking to him about the engine. Seems he has a valve grinding machine, I didn't know that, so my valve job will be free. My biggest expense will be the rockers and springs. I can machine the head if it needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Mannnn... I'm glad I'm engine ignorant! It will be good to sit and watch you pros build this thing.
Pros. Well maybe the other guys but not me. Engines are like tooling though Scott and they need to be put togther so evrything fits right and is clean. As far as what to get for the rebuild there's a world of info on these Ford engines so it's just a matter of looking around. Lots of little details to take care of and that's what really matters.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #3170
SonicR1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CenCal
Posts: 1,495
Well, now that we are talking engines, I have to chime in... LQ4!!! None of this mamby pamby ford junk... hehehehe
__________________
[COLOR="Red"]... I guess I'm gonna have to fix that too…….[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #3171
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Well, now that we are talking engines, I have to chime in... LQ4!!! None of this mamby pamby ford junk... hehehehe
You young, wet behind the ears, TJ owner, that's on vacation and harassing an old guy like me about a wimpy engine.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #3172
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You young, wet behind the ears, TJ owner, that's on vacation and harassing an old guy like me about a wimpy engine.
Where's the "Like" button for your comment, Jim? I'd click it if there was one.
__________________
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #3173
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Thinking about the gas tank. Jegs has a tank that measures 20x20x10 and it's a 20 gallon tank. I'm thinking mine could be 26x16x14 and it should hold about the same by the time the angle is made on the bottom and I make a cut out area to clear the back side of the 9" third member. This is no bigger than the stock tank that holds 16 gallons except this will be heavy enough to not need the factory skid. Here's what I'm thinking, just a rough sketch. Anyone ever made a fuel tank? Ideas?

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #3174
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,274
Good thinking Jim, the extra 4 gallons will get you up to 20 years between fill-ups driving around Perry
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #3175
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Where's the "Like" button for your comment, Jim? I'd click it if there was one.
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!

Jim's back checking out Jim...wait a minute, you playing favorites???
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #3176
TKFireman
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Apex, North Carolina
Posts: 1,229
Jim, I have a 26 gallon tank made by Aero. Is huge and sticks down a little farther than I like, but its nice not looking for a gas station so often. I got it used for a good deal, only reason I have it. It has a heavy duty plate welded to the bottom of the tank as a built-in skid. I think its similar to what you are talking about
__________________
"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
Build Thread
TKFireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #3177
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good thinking Jim, the extra 4 gallons will get you up to 20 years between fill-ups driving around Perry
Nice part of small town area . Besides I'd like to starve all those Arab oil people as much as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
Jim, I have a 26 gallon tank made by Aero. Is huge and sticks down a little farther than I like, but its nice not looking for a gas station so often. I got it used for a good deal, only reason I have it. It has a heavy duty plate welded to the bottom of the tank as a built-in skid. I think its similar to what you are talking about
That's just what I'm thinking of building. Could you get some rough measurements off of it for me please? Looks heavy duty! Thanks
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #3178
TKFireman
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Apex, North Carolina
Posts: 1,229
I can get measurements tomorrow, here is their website, mine doesn't have the in-tank pump option. They want around $450 new for them, got mine for $150 if I remember correctly. The make a 33 gallon for a CJ8 too. I'm sure you can build one yourself better and cheaper, don't trust my welding enough to make one myself.
http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
__________________
"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
Build Thread
TKFireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #3179
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Went and looked at the Aero website. They look to be well made. $598.00 for the tank with everything. Considering I will have to find a shop to make my bends for me, and it's 40 miles away, then the work to build it....hmmmm I might not make this after all.

Last edited by Jim1611; 08-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: mistake on the price
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #3180
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
I can get measurements tomorrow, here is their website, mine doesn't have the in-tank pump option. They want around $450 new for them, got mine for $150 if I remember correctly. The make a 33 gallon for a CJ8 too. I'm sure you can build one yourself better and cheaper, don't trust my welding enough to make one myself.
http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
Our post must have crossed paths. Your tank looks well made. I think I'll check with them Monday and see if they can move the filler to the other side. I used the YJ tub and didn't move the filler, I'd rather have it on the driver's side.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.