Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 210 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #3136
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Sorry to hear of your spine episode Jim but glad everything is much better. Some things are just beyond the ability of mortal man to correct.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #3137
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Just saw your post Jim... glad you are feeling better... hope things continue to improve for you.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #3138
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I am glad you have relief from the pain Jim.

Don't be afraid of surgery, you may not get it if you need it a year from now.

A coworker in his early 60's was having back pain, started about 8 months ago and slowly crippled him to the point he could not sit, he slept in the living room in a recliner, when he would finally fall asleep it would be hell getting up to take a leak. His feet were swollen too without any explanation.

He started off with the medical doctor who ran him through a long series of drugs to keep the pain down.

Xray didn't turn up anything.

Back to the medical doctor for more pain meds and physical therapy.

He did acupuncture and that didn't do squat.

I emailed a family member who is a medical doctor and explained what was going on, he is older than me but a few years younger than my coworker and dealt with the pain of bad hips and having both replaced...he said the medical doctor would just try to treat the problem with meds', so go see a neurologist.

My coworker did, and they found a nerve that was being pinched between vertabrai and a restriction where the spinal cord passed through a vertabrae. They scheduled a roto-rooter and shave but it took like 6 more weeks. He was back to work about 10 days later and walking upright about 4 weeks later.
Thanks Dave. It's nice to feel better and get back to work. I hear you about waiting on surgery and the chance of not being able to get it later. I'm going to ask the doctor what he thinks about obama care the next visit I have there, I know that's what you're talking about it the chance of not getting it. If I find out he thinks the new health care bill is good it will be my last visit to him. I simply will not trust my health to a person that buys into that bill of goods that was shoved down our throats. I'd better spool down Dave before I get all cranked up about all that stuff.

From the sound of things for my condition surgery would be an outpatient thing and not alter the spine at all. It's about as minimum as you get for back surgery. So far though I feel great and am back to full force at work, well as full as I ever got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Sorry to hear of your spine episode Jim but glad everything is much better. Some things are just beyond the ability of mortal man to correct.
Thanks for the well wishes! You are so right. If I can alter my lifestyle and help this I sure will. The doc says walking is some of the best therapy you can get. Well that's easy for me to do here where I live. I've kept a path mowed around my property and it measures 7/10s of a mile. I plan to walk that every day I can at least twice. That I can do easy enough but as you say some things are just beyond our ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Just saw your post Jim... glad you are feeling better... hope things continue to improve for you.
Thanks Bob. I hope they do too and so far they have.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #3139
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Enough warm wishes, get back to Jeep work! I know, I have no room to talk.
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #3140
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Enough warm wishes, get back to Jeep work! I know, I have no room to talk.
You, Sir, are qualified!

Jim... do what Paul says.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #3141
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Okay guys I'll see about getting busy.

A couple of weeks ago I took the oil pan off the Ford 5.0 just to see what things looked like. It was pretty clean in there. No sludge in the pan or debris. It's coming all apart for a rebuild though. In my reading about rebuilding Ford small blocks I ran across something I didnt know. The lifters sit on the cam lobes offset to one side, roller lifters don't, that's so they'll rotate and wear even. Didn't know that.

See this lump on the casting? Places like this are all over on anything that's cast. Likely this was either a vent in the mold for trapped air to escape through when the steel was poured into it or it might have been a sprue where material was poured in. Anyway can you imagine some little piece of cast breaking off and maybe getting slung around in there doing damage or causing guald somewhere. Also to the right of that is the webbing where the main journals are. See that raised line on that flat area? Places like that are where a crack can start. When I get this block all apart I'm going to get rid of that sort of thing. I'll use a small air grinder to smooth them out. Just makes for a better job in the end and it's not hard to do if you're willing to take the time.

Unread 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #3142
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Jim when you get done grinding the block will you coat in in Gyptal?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #3143
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I was thinking I would George. I haven't heard anything bad about using it and it seems to do a good job for what it's intended.

Guess I need to back the wagon up a little though. First thing after it's apart will be to get it magnafluxed to make sure there's no cracks.
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #3144
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Gyptals?? That's them fellas that run around from town to town, sleeping in wagons, and wear earrings?? They can do acrobatics and shout "HEY" all the time?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #3145
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Hey Jim, didn't we discuss one time about you doing a 351 build?.. or was that somebody else?

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #3146
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Multi quote not working for me either, Scott. Nope, it's paint for the inside of the engine. Makes the oil drain back to the pan better and good things like that.

Yes we did Bob. I have this engine already so I think, as far as cost, it'll work out better that way. I like the 351 just fine though and it would make a great engine, as you're fixin to find out.
There's always that but though and I might change my mind and get a 351, I have a hard time liking too many things, kinda like owning guns.
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #3147
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Yes we did Bob. I have this engine already so I think, as far as cost, it'll work out better that way. I like the 351 just fine though and it would make a great engine, as you're fixin to find out.
There's always that but though and I might change my mind and get a 351, I have a hard time liking too many things, kinda like owning guns.
I understand about already having the engine... rock on. And remember... you can't have enough guns! (And ammo!)

Unread 06-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #3148
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry bout your back man. My dad had 3 back surgeries by the time he was 25 I think. And his back is still messed up. I'm glad you are doing fine though.

That info about the engine is pretty cool I didn't know that. When I get to rebuilding my 350 I will do that because I don't wanna mess any of it up. It was a free engine too so might as well make it run like a 10000 dollar engine right? Haha I will love to see more on this engine build if you can post pics haha because of this crappy JF pic size thing.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #3149
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

As we can see the translations has been lost on Skipper!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #3150
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Sorry bout your back man. My dad had 3 back surgeries by the time he was 25 I think. And his back is still messed up. I'm glad you are doing fine though.

That info about the engine is pretty cool I didn't know that. When I get to rebuilding my 350 I will do that because I don't wanna mess any of it up. It was a free engine too so might as well make it run like a 10000 dollar engine right? Haha I will love to see more on this engine build if you can post pics haha because of this crappy JF pic size thing.
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your dad's bad fortune with his sugery. It's going to be a last resort thing for me, most people I know that have had back sugery have not improved. Although what would be done in my case is the least invasive.

Yep you might as well do your best on the 350. There's allot of really good info to be had in books and on the internet. Look up blueprinting an engine and you'll see many great ideas.

Quote:
As we can see the translations has been lost on Skipper!
George we have to be easy on the old boy, his wife left him to fend for himself over the weekend and he didn't get any grits for breakfast Saturday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.