Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #16
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I am so glad you decided to do this. You started out really well with some good parts, and everyone can learn from you. I have had the pleasure of dealing with Jim on a more personal level, and I can tell you he is a talented machinist. I think your shooting rest is suitable for punt guns and 6 pounders, however! It probably won't wobble any. Glad you're IN... Subscribed!!
Scott you're one of the most complimentary people I've ever seen. Thanks for the good words! Not enough good can be said on your behalf either!! I'm subscribed to your and Clay's build myself. Everyday I look to see what's going on. This stuff is almost addictive! At least it's moral

Hey if you have the same ball joints as I do I have the special socket it takes for the sleeve that goes in the upper joint, just let me know and I'll send it to you.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Saturday I worked on the tie rod. It's a bit overkill but I like working with this material. I made it out of 1 1/4 dia. solid stress proof. It threads and machines like butter but has almost twice the tensile strength of cold rolled steel. I had to order the 11/16-18 taps and found them at Speedway Motors - Street Rod Parts, Race Parts, Ford Flathead Parts, Sprint and Midget Racing Parts, Pedal Car Parts none of the typical places had them except Fastenal and they wanted $129.00 for the left hand tap. I got both taps from Speedway for about $25.00 apiece and they are made in the USA!

I had, some time back, did the tie rod flip. I ordered the reamer from Snap On and made my own tapered bushings out of some stainless I had. I'm not the best at welding on cast or forged stuff so the tapered route kept me from needing to weld the bushings in.
100_0111.jpg   100_0107.jpg   100_0116.jpg   100_0118.jpg   100_0117.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
The 44's you have are nothing to sneeze at. I really like the rear lockouts you have. Dana 44's have allot more options too when it comes to lockers.
Yeah, the 44 in the back should hold up the the 35's. It's the Dana 30 in front I need to replace with another 44 at some point. I'll do that as an add on to the build a couple years from now, or whenever I happen to find one I can use.

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask, if you don't mind, do live in the vicinity of Byron, Il.? I've got a very good friend there.
I live about 20 minutes from Byron so yes I am pretty close. If you ever come up to visit, we need to hook up for a homebrew.

Love the machining pictures. Those steering rods are sweet! I wish I had the machines and the know how to use them. Looking forward to following your progress.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Yeah, the 44 in the back should hold up the the 35's. It's the Dana 30 in front I need to replace with another 44 at some point. I'll do that as an add on to the build a couple years from now, or whenever I happen to find one I can use.

I live about 20 minutes from Byron so yes I am pretty close. If you ever come up to visit, we need to hook up for a homebrew.

Love the machining pictures. Those steering rods are sweet! I wish I had the machines and the know how to use them. Looking forward to following your progress.
I agree that the 44 will hold up with your 35's. In thinking about the 30 up front. I wonder if the front end gets a little less stress anyway compared to the rear? It seems most of the time there's more traction in the rear than the front.

Next time we are up that way for a visit I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!!

Mike all you need are the machines, you already have the know how to make stuff, I've seen plenty of evidence of that!!

My build thread
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
jdmartie
1980 CJ5 

Yeah in the military currently displaced in Djibouti Africa, and stationed at Moody Afb GA. Ready to get home and out of this crap hole. I used to live in Sparta MO, near Springfield, but lived in Cameron and had grandparents that lived in St Joseph. Every day in GA is another day in hell but what can you do. Anyways thats a freakin serious tie rod.
jdmartie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmartie View Post
Yeah in the military currently displaced in Djibouti Africa, and stationed at Moody Afb GA. Ready to get home and out of this crap hole. I used to live in Sparta MO, near Springfield, but lived in Cameron and had grandparents that lived in St Joseph. Every day in GA is another day in hell but what can you do. Anyways thats a freakin serious tie rod.
Sparta is a nice area from what I know. Cameron is on our way to my wife's mom's home in southwestern Iowa. We stopped there on our way up this past 4rth of July weekend and ate at a place on the south side of highway 36, great place to eat and nice people. I also always liked driving out that way and seeing the elk that are raised right off 36, makes me want to get out and West and go hunting. I live about 2 hours from Cameron. Lot's of famous military leaders from your part of the state.

You folks in the military are in my prayers everyday. I'll be praying for your safety and the return home. Always remember all of us back here in civilian life that are true patriots hold all of you in the very highest esteem and have great respect, honor and gratitude for what you are doing. Be encouraged my friend!!

Thanks on the tie rod. I plan to make almost everything on this thing myself that needs beefed up. Lot's of it can be bought but metal work is my trade and my business so I figure why not make it myself, besides it's cheaper and I enjoy it.

You have a great day!!

My build thread
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Not that it's any great earth shattering news but today is kinda a milestone for me. 31 years ago today I started in the tool & die trade. That really makes me old don't it you younger guys. I can remember when I thought 30 was over the hill.

My build thread

Last edited by Jim1611; 08-28-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #23
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Not that it's any great earth shattering news but today is kinda a milestone for me. 31 years ago today I started in the tool & die trade. That really makes me old don't it you younger guys. I can remember when I thought 30 was over the hill.
Please, you're just starting to dry behind your ears
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Yep. You're retired and had a quite diverse experience in the trade. I remember us discussing that a while back, I think. You know how it is for us self employed guys, we never retire.

My build thread

Last edited by Jim1611; 08-28-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Unread 08-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #25
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Were ya able to get the engine harness, ecm, ccrp and fuse box? The 94 & 95 engine/harness/ecm are different than earlier models. Finished putting a 94 HO in my 80 CJ7 this past spring. Let me know if I can help ya out with figuring this part out.
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Living View Post
Were ya able to get the engine harness, ecm, ccrp and fuse box? The 94 & 95 engine/harness/ecm are different than earlier models. Finished putting a 94 HO in my 80 CJ7 this past spring. Let me know if I can help ya out with figuring this part out.
Got everything but the fuse box. How do you like your since you got it running and how is the fuel economy? Thanks for the offer of help. I will most likely need it!

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
1983 CJ7 

Jim, you are going with a 4.0 HO?

A friend of mine had one in a Cherokee and it seemed to have plenty of power, quiet and smooth too.
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Jim, you are going with a 4.0 HO?
I believe it is a 5.0 HO FI Ford out of a 1995 Mustang.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #29
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Yep it's a Ford 5.0 like Mike said. I've always liked Fords, especially Mustangs. The 65-68 are my favorites. Anyway it makes me feel like I'm on the side of the underdog in running a Ford engine when there's so many Chevys being used and there is more stuff avaiable for a Chevy swap. SBF's have it on almost any V-8 in that they weigh less than most of the others though which to me is + when it comes to what engine to use. If I'm not mistaken they weigh less than the inline-6 but not very much.

Guess I'll spend most of the rest of the day mowing the yard. Hey Dave that's the bad part about living out in the country and having room to shoot, I spend about 4 1/2 hours a week mowing but it does give me time to think of things to do when I get time, not much thought process in mowing the yard.

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Can't wait to see this unfold. If it's anything like Dave's build, I know I won't be disappointed!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.