Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 144 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #2146
Cyclone
1980 CJ5 

That sounds like it will work. I tried closing off that bottom valve a couple of times but when the flow started to sputter I just turned it all the way back on. I just need to not be so impatient!

Thanks for the info.

Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #2147
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Jim,

Been a while since I got to check in on your build. Top quality work. The galvanized will sure be nice!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #2148
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Yep, I have the same blaster tank and I keep that valve open only about half way too. Like you say when it spits and sputters at first, I keep a 5 gallon bucket right there to catch all that sand before I start blasting parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks Scott. I was wearing my dollar store glasses so I could see the lines better.

Glad you're finding some good info and nice people.

If yours is like mine it should have a valve on the bottom that's where the sand comes out of the tank. That will be adjustable so you can regulate the amount of sand that comes out of the nozzle. I have mine turned down quite a bit to conserve sand but it also works better that way too since the air is really moving faster to make the sand hit the metal. You're not regulating pressure just sand output.

Also when it first starts up it spits and sputters. Give it about 30 seconds and that goes away. Enjoy your build too.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #2149
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
That sounds like it will work. I tried closing off that bottom valve a couple of times but when the flow started to sputter I just turned it all the way back on. I just need to not be so impatient!

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome Guy. Hope it works well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Jim,

Been a while since I got to check in on your build. Top quality work. The galvanized will sure be nice!
Thanks Jeremy. You coming up for air from all of that work.
We'll see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Yep, I have the same blaster tank and I keep that valve open only about half way too. Like you say when it spits and sputters at first, I keep a 5 gallon bucket right there to catch all that sand before I start blasting parts.
Thanks Rob.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #2150
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I knew the frame had allot of sand it it left over from the blasting so I figured the best way to get that out was tip it up on end and let it go out the holes I drilled through the crossmember on the rear of the frame. I beat all over the sides of it with a hammer to knock things lose too. I got several mud dobber nest and a mouse nest out of each frame rail. Some rust flakes also came out. Looks pretty good on the inside from what I can see. Now its ready for the trip to the galvanizer. Hopefully next week.

My build thread
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #2151
_Ross
1984 CJ7 

So, I'm reading through, at page 90 right now...THIS IS BADASS, I'll be ordering some hangers soon. And now I've got a lot of ideas for my CJ-7 when I get back home.
_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2152
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

go Jim go, can't wait to see how it comes out.
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #2153
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ross View Post
So, I'm reading through, at page 90 right now...THIS IS BADASS, I'll be ordering some hangers soon. And now I've got a lot of ideas for my CJ-7 when I get back home.
Ross thanks for taking the time to read through my thread. Hope something is useful and helpful to you. Stay safe over there and thanks for serving our country!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
go Jim go, can't wait to see how it comes out.
I'm looking forward to that too.

Not much work getting done lately on the CJ, been busy in the shop with customer's work. I did get my frame paint in today though. I'm going to paing most everything with this stuff that doesn't get the O.D. Green paint on it. It'll go right over epoxy primer.

My build thread
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #2154
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great!! Something else to put on the shelf. When you gonna haul that metal monstrosity to the galvanizer?? That's all we're waiting on! To see that treated frame!

How's the back, Jim? You feeling spry yet?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #2155
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Spry enough to kick your and Gmakra butts, I'll bet. If the short stuff don't stop. I'll bet Dave would help to.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #2156
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Spry enough to kick your and Gmakra butts, I'll bet. If the short stuff don't stop. I'll bet Dave would help to.

Bill
Awww, shucks... you know Jim is napping in his recliner, or sitting there watching The Weather Channel eating chicken gizzards! Ain't skeered...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #2157
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You should be, we've seen those chicken legs when you and the boys were carrying the tub. "TIMBER" . Your gonna topple faster than Oprah to the donut shop.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #2158
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
You should be, we've seen those chicken legs when you and the boys were carrying the tub. "TIMBER" . Your gonna topple faster than Oprah to the donut shop.
Bill
Yeah, I guess I better be protecting my knee caps. I wouldn't want to fall on either of you and squash ya!

Unread 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #2159
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Great!! Something else to put on the shelf. When you gonna haul that metal monstrosity to the galvanizer?? That's all we're waiting on! To see that treated frame!

How's the back, Jim? You feeling spry yet?
I'm hoping to get the frame there next week sometime Scott, depends on work though. I've all of a sudden gotten busy in the shop. Feast or famine when it comes to this business.

My back is slowly getting better. Bothers me quite a bit at night and makes it tough to sleep.

Quote:
Bill
Sounds to me Bill that all we need to do is kick him in the knee and he'll go down.

Last Saturday I made this cabinet for my reloading room. It's going to hang on the wall above my bench, haven't made that yet though.

My build thread
Unread 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #2160
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

nice cabinet, are you going to stain or paint it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.