Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 143 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #2131
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Now what do you do?
Just sweep that into the driveway?

bbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #2132
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
looks like bare metal to me, I'm happy to hear how fast it went for you, I was thinking it would take allot longer. be sure to take pics of the tanks it's going into, I would love to hear and see details on the way they do that
I'll see about getting pictures but they may not allow that. Allot of the places I go into won't allow pictures of their operations to be taken but I'll ask. Yep it did go pretty quick, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Now what do you do?
Just sweep that into the driveway?
It's already in the driveway. I thought about saving it but it's been damp here and it really didn't seem worth the time to save it knowing I'd have to spread it out in the shop to let it dry.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #2133
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Take the sand down to the lake. That way when I come over. I can play in the sand, and swim, without getting muddy.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #2134
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Jim, I am amazed at how quickly you blasted the frame! What kind of nozzle do you use? My pot blaster, as someone here described, is like blasting with a sharpie.

Paul
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2135
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

That looks great, Jim! How's your back feeling?

Unread 02-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #2136
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Take the sand down to the lake. That way when I come over. I can play in the sand, and swim, without getting muddy.

Bill
Don't worry Bill I've got a really big sand pile for you to play in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Jim, I am amazed at how quickly you blasted the frame! What kind of nozzle do you use? My pot blaster, as someone here described, is like blasting with a sharpie.

Paul
Paul my blaster is a pressure pot. That makes a big difference over the siphon type. Your compressor being able to keep up helps too. Picture is below of the tips I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
That looks great, Jim! How's your back feeling?

Thanks Jim. It's getting better but I still have a long way to go before I'm back to normal. I'm trying to really be careful with it and that's hard to do!

My build thread
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #2137
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I'm just another voice saying, "that frame looks great!" Nice work, Jim.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #2138
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I just might have to move to Perry, MO...nice work once again!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #2139
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

looking good Jim
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #2140
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

was that the h.f. blaster? I saw the way you modified it on Scott's thread, but wasn't sure were you got it.
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2141
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I'm just another voice saying, "that frame looks great!" Nice work, Jim.

Rich
Thanks Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I just might have to move to Perry, MO...nice work once again!
It's a nice place to live Mike. Let me know when to start looking around! Thanks, I'll be glad to get it with a finish on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
looking good Jim
Thanks man! I look forward to being able to use it the way you have yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
was that the h.f. blaster? I saw the way you modified it on Scott's thread, but wasn't sure were you got it.
Dog I bought that blaster from Northern Tool & Hydraulics. I think H.B. has the same thing too. It's been a good one for the money.

My build thread
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #2142
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

In getting the frame ready for galvanizing I wanted to have all the holes drilled in it that I would need. There are two extra holes that are required for the YJ/CY front shackle hangers and someday I may put YJ springs on this, so the holes will be there if I do.

You can see that the hanger lines up with the two existing holes and has a clearance hole for the rivet. It needs another clearance hole for the 7/16 threaded hole in the bottom of the hanger. Some conversion hangers have you grind the rivet off. I don't do that with my hangers, you just drill the extra hole. Better idea I think.

So we need a place to measure from in order to get the extra hole in the right location. I am measuring from the furthest forward mounting hole.

Here's a fairly accurate way to find the center of that hole. I measured the i.d. of the threaded hole, which was .375, and divide that by 2. Take a drill bit that size, 3/16, and insert it in the hole and slide your square up against it. That does a nice job of making sure the edge of the square is on the center of the hole. Now just scribe a line.

Now you need to find the center of the hole from the edge of the frame so you can mark that where the new hole goes. Just use the same method and slide an adjustable square up against the drill bit. Now move the square in the general location of the new hole and scribe a mark along the end of the scale.

Now you need to measure from the mounting hole on the hanger that I marked the center of on the frame to the new hole. In this case that distance is 2.427. Now scribe a line at that location. You now have both directions marked on the frame. Center punch it and you're ready to drill.

I drilled the final hole 1/2". I stepped that up in three smaller drills, started about 1/8" then 5/16" then the final 1/2" and chamfered the hole to get rid of the sharp edge.

My build thread
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #2143
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Very neat little trick, Jim. Thanks for sharing it. And you have a very good eye with the center punch too. I couldn't have made it that perfect even with the crosshair!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #2144
Cyclone
1980 CJ5 

Just started following a few builds as I have stared my own in November. Great ideas all throughout and a REALLY good bunch of guys! I recently purchased a sand blaster simular to yours to do my frame and other parts. How did you modify it to get more control on the amount of sand that comes out? Did you replace the nozzle holder to another type?
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #2145
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Very neat little trick, Jim. Thanks for sharing it. And you have a very good eye with the center punch too. I couldn't have made it that perfect even with the crosshair!
Thanks Scott. I was wearing my dollar store glasses so I could see the lines better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Just started following a few builds as I have stared my own in November. Great ideas all throughout and a REALLY good bunch of guys! I recently purchased a sand blaster simular to yours to do my frame and other parts. How did you modify it to get more control on the amount of sand that comes out? Did you replace the nozzle holder to another type?
Glad you're finding some good info and nice people.

If yours is like mine it should have a valve on the bottom that's where the sand comes out of the tank. That will be adjustable so you can regulate the amount of sand that comes out of the nozzle. I have mine turned down quite a bit to conserve sand but it also works better that way too since the air is really moving faster to make the sand hit the metal. You're not regulating pressure just sand output.

Also when it first starts up it spits and sputters. Give it about 30 seconds and that goes away. Enjoy your build too.

My build thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.