Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 142 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #2116
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Does that mean that it removes the paint too, or do you have to clean it first? If you don't have to strip it yourself, then to me it's a no-brainer. Attach everything you can to your frame and get it all galvanized.
Yes I'll have to remove the paint otherwise it'll have to be dipped twice to get it clean and that'll double the price. Also after experimenting with what I've sent them in the past if it's sandblasted it really turns out allot nicer finish. Besides it won't take too long to blast it. Especially if you'd drive up and help me.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #2117
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I hope your recovery is faster than my crushed disc took to heal, Jim. It happened when I was in my early 30's and I was out of action for harder work for over 1/2 a year. Recovery after that was slow, but 20 years later the pain and lack of mobility is just a old memory. I'm as good as new, still (lol), and some days when I think about my injured back I would rather donate a live organ or go see my dentist and sit through repeated root canals without pain killers rather than heal from a crushed disc again.

I've found that keeping a regular campaign of walking/hiking has helped my back stay the way it should.

Good luck.

Quote:
Ruptured disc?? Yikes! I feel for you, Jim. You need some help?? I'll send BIll over! I hope you mend quickly. Funny how that happened once you hit maturity!!! We will keep you in our prayers, Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
I gotta agree with Dave... Fork lift is cool, but cheating... I dragged my wife out to help me with my tub!!!

Scott, I posted in Clay's thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Dave I was grinnin and thinking of you when I was using the old forklift. Hey it's what happens when you get as old as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
somebody sure is spoiled with his fork lift and pallet jack
Quote:
Well Eric after a guy turns 50 he no longer relies on those special talents. He uses wisdom

Quote:
Hey it's what happens when you get as old as me.
Quote:
Quote:
Oh be quiet you're older than me.

OMG, you *old* guys, not me of course Hobbling around talking about injuries that happened twenty years ago, walking instead of running up the mountains, using all forms of crutches to do your work like pallet mules, forklifts, wive's, and the like...AND, can't stop reminding each other how old you are every other post, need to start a club.

Let me get you started...

The Fraternal Order of Geriatric Jeep Owners

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #2118
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

the F.O.G.J.O., I don't know thats quite a mouth full, it doesn't really roll off the tung. We might have to come up with some thing easier to remember.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2119
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Dave you're not that far behind us. You crack me up!!

Nice club by the way...wanna join?????

My build thread
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #2120
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

we all join it sooner or later
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #2121
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've been wanting to get started on the frame sandblasting so I figured I'd fill the blaster up, 100 lbs. and blast till that ran out. Didn't want to overdo the back so I figured that wouldn't take long. I think I blasted about 1 hour and got almost half the frame cleaned.

I used silica sand and you have to wear a respirator when using the stuff, really should with sand too. Silica doesn't break down very quick and it will get in your lungs. Not good!

I hope to get some more sand tomorrow and maybe finish it. Then it'll be ready for galvanizing! Next pictures I'll take outside and maybe they'll show better detail.

My build thread
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #2122
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Nice job, Jim!! Isn't sand great stuff to use!...?

I've gone through bags of the stuff and despite overalls, masks, respirators, hoods, gloves and ... well you get the picture.... I still have sand coming out of my ears!
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #2123
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Good deal Jim, progress
The back must be feeling a little better.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #2124
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work, My blaster (like yours) has never worked that great. Keep up the good work, but take care of the back as well.
W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #2125
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Nice job, Jim!! Isn't sand great stuff to use!...?

I've gone through bags of the stuff and despite overalls, masks, respirators, hoods, gloves and ... well you get the picture.... I still have sand coming out of my ears!
Thanks Jim. Sand breaks down quicker than silica sand does. It's really glass and it's sharper than sand so it cuts quicker.

I don't have too much trouble with it getting past my hood. Need a long tailed shirt to keep it out of your pockets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Good deal Jim, progress
The back must be feeling a little better.

Bill
Thanks Bill. You know about noon today it was doing pretty good. About 1:30 it started hurting so I walked around outside for a while and that helped. The sandblasting didn't bother it at all. It therapy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
Nice work, My blaster (like yours) has never worked that great. Keep up the good work, but take care of the back as well.
Thanks Will. When I first got mine it didn't work so well either. I had two problems. One thing is that I had way too much sand coming out in the air stream so I adjusted that where it hardly came out, used allot less sand too. The other thing was my air compressor. It just wouldn't keep up. I have a much better one now and it cycles on and off while I'm blasting so that's a big help.

Thanks on my back. Every day I see progress. Very slight but at least it's better.

My build thread
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #2126
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks good Jim, glad to hear the back is doing better. Just don't push it too hard too fast.
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2127
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Jim in the future what you can do is save the sand by getting a big tarp and lay it down under your work. You'd be surprised how much sand it catches. Then at the end when the blaster tank runs out, I scoop the sand and use an old window screen to sift the sand into 5 gallon buckets before I put it back into the tank. The screen eliminates all the debris other than the sand itself. It can take a while but will save you some time and money for new bags of sand. I was spending like $12 per 100lb bag of sand and I would have went thru lots of them had I not saved the sand.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #2128
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
looks good Jim, glad to hear the back is doing better. Just don't push it too hard too fast.
Thanks my friend! Seems that staying active helps, sitting or laying around seems to make me stiff and takes a while to get limbered back up. Of course if you ask Dave it's just my age!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Jim in the future what you can do is save the sand by getting a big tarp and lay it down under your work. You'd be surprised how much sand it catches. Then at the end when the blaster tank runs out, I scoop the sand and use an old window screen to sift the sand into 5 gallon buckets before I put it back into the tank. The screen eliminates all the debris other than the sand itself. It can take a while but will save you some time and money for new bags of sand. I was spending like $12 per 100lb bag of sand and I would have went thru lots of them had I not saved the sand.
Good idea of catching the sand. I'm doing it over a concrete slab and have swept some up since most of it stays on there. I have been paying $4.99 for a 100 lb. bag here. My next project is going to be a sandblast booth and that'll do most of what's left.

My build thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #2129
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Finished sandblasting the frame this afternoon. It ended up taking 4 1/2 bags of sand, 225 lbs. of sand and about 2 1/2 hours. I also sandblasted the shock towers and will get them galvanized too. There's still some prep work to do. I am going to go over it and grind down any sharp edges, burrs or weld slag. Places that will make a spot for the finish to be knocked off. If it's flat and smooth that's not as apt to happen. Then it'll be ready to go and made to look like a guard rail!

My build thread
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #2130
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks like bare metal to me, I'm happy to hear how fast it went for you, I was thinking it would take allot longer. be sure to take pics of the tanks it's going into, I would love to hear and see details on the way they do that

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.