Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 141 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #2101
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey it's what happens when you get as old as me.
Hey your not old if I'm not. We still have three years until we reach the peek intelligence age, that is according to a news story I heard tonight.

Will

W_A_Watson_II is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #2102
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
Hey your not old if I'm not. We still have three years until we reach the peek intelligence age, that is according to a news story I heard tonight.

Will
I want in on this my dear Watson!! Share....

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2103
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Will
This is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I want in on this my dear Watson!! Share....
See Scott there is hope for us after all.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #2104
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Well now the frame is bare. I have a few things to do on it before any finish work is done so to make it easier to get to from all sides I rigged up a rotisserie. I used my engine stand on one end and my home made shoplift on the other. It works prett good too. I need to finish welding the rear crossmember in and while I'm at it I'm going to drill the frame for the YJ spring shackle hangers because at some point I'm sure I'll be putting a set of those on.

I also want to input from you all. I have intended to take all of the paint off and have the frame galvanized so I thought I'd try some aircraft stripper on a small place and see how much work that's going to be, I'd use the stripper first then sandblast. Well I found out this is some pretty tough paint. In using a putty knife to remove the stripper and paint I scratched around and found this paint is pretty durable. I had the frame blasted and painted a few years back but it's been inside the shop since. Well I'm thinking of saving some money and time and cleaning the frame up and spray it again with some epoxy primer then put a good quality frame paint on it. What do you guys think?

The shoplift is on wheels too anb also adjustable up and down.

My build thread
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #2105
bbc
1985 CJ7 

I wouldn't want to strip and blast again.
I think it will be fine to use some self etching primer on the spots that you added and welded to and then scuff, prime, and re shoot the frame bright Pink!
But, If you feel you Really need the galvanizing, Then I wouldn't bother with the stripper. I would drop it off somewhere and pay to have it re blasted. Especially with your back!
Your choice, Brother.
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #2106
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Primer and pant on the outside frame is easy to keep up with but Galvanizing will help the inside of the frame
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #2107
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
I think it will be fine to use some self etching primer on the spots that you added and welded to and then scuff, prime, and re shoot the frame
I'd agree (not on the color) especially since it was stores inside.
W_A_Watson_II is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2108
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Jim, I'm not sure what your intentions are when your done (I know....it's NEVER really done...) building your jeep, but if you're going to go into situations where the inside of the frame is going to end up with mud and debris in it quite often, then perhaps galvanizing is worth it.

If you DO decide to have it dipped, I'd take bbc's advice and have it sandblasted. Actually, I thought that I read once, that places that galvanize can dip the frame into a tank and strip the frame clean (but I'm not absolutely positive on that). It'd be a good question to ask the potential galv. shop before you pay to have it sandblasted.

If you're not going to get crap inside the frame, or, if you can hose it out after an offroad trip, then a good paint job with some sort of internal frame coating would probably suffice. Eastwood has a few choices on that.

When I restored my frame, I cut away two small areas of the front crossmember to leave access openings into the frame, and bolted on the rear crossmember to be able to remove it and have access to the rear openings of the frame. This will (hopefully) allow me to hose out any gobs of stuff that might get in the frame.

I used boiled linseed oil inside my frame, after painting the outside. I used Eastwoods 3-step frame coating on the outside, but your idea of epoxy primer and a good quality paint sounds good.

The boiled linseed oil is great stuff, as far as durability goes, but getting it all around the inside of the frame was the hardest part of my frame restoration! And VERY messy!

Very long story, there. I won't bore you with the details. I finally got it, though! After all I went through, I wouldn't recommend that.

For most of us who are restoring our jeeps, much of the "damage" ( rust, rot, etc.) was caused as a result of the PO's not knowing at the time, what rusting would occur on these jeeps, until it was too late. Plus the fact that we're painting and protecting the surfaces more thoroughly than the factory did. And....we know that we have to maintain the jeep better than the PO's did, especially after all the hard work we've done to them. This should help the jeeps last a pretty long time.

Just my $.02.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #2109
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

bite the bullet, sandblast and galvanize and then you will never have to worry about it again...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2110
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You asked for it!

Jim,
I'm going to get banned for life for this, but I'll just blame it on you!

Some eyecandy of my current build
Before:

After:

And the engine bay after detailing:

Guages before:

And After:

front-clip-after.jpg   engine-final-006.jpg   gauges.jpg   engine-final-009.jpg  
front-clip-before.jpg

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #2111
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
I think it will be fine to use some self etching primer on the spots that you added and welded to and then scuff, prime, and re shoot the frame bright Pink!
But, If you feel you Really need the galvanizing, Then I wouldn't bother with the stripper. I would drop it off somewhere and pay to have it re blasted. Especially with your back!
Your choice, Brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
Primer and pant on the outside frame is easy to keep up with but Galvanizing will help the inside of the frame
Quote:
I'd agree (not on the color) especially since it was stores inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Jim, I'm not sure what your intentions are when your done (I know....it's NEVER really done...) building your jeep, but if you're going to go into situations where the inside of the frame is going to end up with mud and debris in it quite often, then perhaps galvanizing is worth it.

If you DO decide to have it dipped, I'd take bbc's advice and have it sandblasted. Actually, I thought that I read once, that places that galvanize can dip the frame into a tank and strip the frame clean (but I'm not absolutely positive on that). It'd be a good question to ask the potential galv. shop before you pay to have it sandblasted.

If you're not going to get crap inside the frame, or, if you can hose it out after an offroad trip, then a good paint job with some sort of internal frame coating would probably suffice. Eastwood has a few choices on that.

When I restored my frame, I cut away two small areas of the front crossmember to leave access openings into the frame, and bolted on the rear crossmember to be able to remove it and have access to the rear openings of the frame. This will (hopefully) allow me to hose out any gobs of stuff that might get in the frame.

I used boiled linseed oil inside my frame, after painting the outside. I used Eastwoods 3-step frame coating on the outside, but your idea of epoxy primer and a good quality paint sounds good.

The boiled linseed oil is great stuff, as far as durability goes, but getting it all around the inside of the frame was the hardest part of my frame restoration! And VERY messy!

Very long story, there. I won't bore you with the details. I finally got it, though! After all I went through, I wouldn't recommend that.

For most of us who are restoring our jeeps, much of the "damage" ( rust, rot, etc.) was caused as a result of the PO's not knowing at the time, what rusting would occur on these jeeps, until it was too late. Plus the fact that we're painting and protecting the surfaces more thoroughly than the factory did. And....we know that we have to maintain the jeep better than the PO's did, especially after all the hard work we've done to them. This should help the jeeps last a pretty long time.

Just my $.02.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
bite the bullet, sandblast and galvanize and then you will never have to worry about it again...
Thanks for the help guys. I do see some rust that's formed on the outside even though it's been inside all this time, not much but it'll keep coming unless it's got the air cut off to it. I'm leaning towards the galvanizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Jim,
I'm going to get banned for life for this, but I'll just blame it on you!
Thanks for posting those pictures Eric. Even though it's not a Jeep it's still interesting and shows some great work on your part, which is top notch!!

It sure brings back some great memories too. I had a 71 Scout back about 1980. Put a Ford 390 in it with a C6 tranny and did a spring over with 36" tires. Back then those were considered big tires. Had allot of fun with it.

My build thread
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #2112
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I know it's going to be pricey but I'd say go with the galvanizing, you can't get penetration into all the nooks and crannies with paint as well as you would with the dip in the pool.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #2113
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I agree with Rich about the galvanizing process. I thought they had to clean the frame first, some kind of stripper, that removes everything?? That would be my route if, I had the dough. That was your original plan, and I know you're tired of working on it, but you will be pleased if you continue with your FIRST plan. We all change up, however, and it's no big deal if you do. At the very least, I would HAVE IT SANDBLASTED, prime and paint again. You are too precise, too accurate in your work, to take a shortcut now. Everything on your Jeep will be quality, new, and strong. As a last remark... there is no time limit on your build. You don't HAVE to have this done by such-and-such date. Do it when it fits.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #2114
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
I know it's going to be pricey but I'd say go with the galvanizing, you can't get penetration into all the nooks and crannies with paint as well as you would with the dip in the pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I agree with Rich about the galvanizing process. I thought they had to clean the frame first, some kind of stripper, that removes everything?? That would be my route if, I had the dough. That was your original plan, and I know you're tired of working on it, but you will be pleased if you continue with your FIRST plan. We all change up, however, and it's no big deal if you do. At the very least, I would HAVE IT SANDBLASTED, prime and paint again. You are too precise, too accurate in your work, to take a shortcut now. Everything on your Jeep will be quality, new, and strong. As a last remark... there is no time limit on your build. You don't HAVE to have this done by such-and-such date. Do it when it fits.
You guys bring up good points. That's why I asked.

This may suprise you all to know that it's going to cost $150.00 to have it galvanized. I have had several of my projects for my regular customers galvanized and have already spoken to the owner about getting the frame done. They first dip the frame in an hot acid bath, 800 degrees, and that cleans the metal and opens op the pores in it allowing for a better bond. Then it's dipped in the liquid zinc tank for the galvanizing. Their minimum is 500lbs. and that cost $150.00 so the frame is less than 500 lbs.

My build thread
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #2115
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You guys bring up good points. That's why I asked.

This may suprise you all to know that it's going to cost $150.00 to have it galvanized. I have had several of my projects for my regular customers galvanized and have already spoken to the owner about getting the frame done. They first dip the frame in an hot acid bath, 800 degrees, and that cleans the metal and opens op the pores in it allowing for a better bond. Then it's dipped in the liquid zinc tank for the galvanizing. Their minimum is 500lbs. and that cost $150.00 so the frame is less than 500 lbs.
Does that mean that it removes the paint too, or do you have to clean it first? If you don't have to strip it yourself, then to me it's a no-brainer. Attach everything you can to your frame and get it all galvanized.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.