Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 137 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Reply
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #2041
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Hey Jim. Merry Christmas.

I was re-reading your post to see what saw blade you used for that cut pictured a few post up. I'm going to get one for when I make my winch plate.

You stated you cut 1/2" HRS. Can you explain what HRS is, and why you specified it?

Also, wanted to mention that when I finish my Scout build, I plan to install OME YJ springs on my CJ. While I'm at it, I will add in the steering box mount and receiver bumper. I will be ordering your parts for the conversion of course.

__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #2042
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Hey Jim. Merry Christmas.

I was re-reading your post to see what saw blade you used for that cut pictured a few post up. I'm going to get one for when I make my winch plate.

You stated you cut 1/2" HRS. Can you explain what HRS is, and why you specified it?

Also, wanted to mention that when I finish my Scout build, I plan to install OME YJ springs on my CJ. While I'm at it, I will add in the steering box mount and receiver bumper. I will be ordering your parts for the conversion of course.
Merry Christmas to you too Eric!

I'm sure you'll like the metal cutting saw blade. I do although was skeptical at first but not anymore! I've even thought it would work on my table saw too but didn't want the mess of the meatl chips so I haven't tried it.

HRS is just the abreviation for Hot Rolled Steel. It's simply what you'd go down to the steel supply to buy for building most anything you'd weld together. Flats, angle, sheetmetal, and beems are made this way.

The technical version in the name is that the material has been heated to a certain tempurature and ran through rollers. This compacts it and sizes it. The process also leaves a scale on the surface of the material and really should be cleaned off pryor to painting, sometimes it'll flake off if you don't. Your trusty sandblaster is the perfect tool. You can also buy it with the scale removed. They do this by "pickling" it and that is what allot of the bigger shops are using. Especially when its to be cut with a laser.

I tried looking at your Scout build the other day but the pictures wouldn't show. I'll try again sometime. Hope it's coming along good .

Just holler when you need the parts for the CJ. I worked on the steering box mount some yesterday but didn't make any real progress. Trying to measure the factory mount with all of it's angles and different hole locations looks simple till you get started! But I'll get it right.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #2043
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,273
Merry Christmas!
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #2044
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Jim,
Went shopping for one of those Evolution blades, and not sure which one will work. I'm thinking the 230BLADEST is what you used?
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #2045
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Jim,
Went shopping for one of those Evolution blades, and not sure which one will work. I'm thinking the 230BLADEST is what you used?
Actually Eric it's the 185BLADEST 7-1/4' with 40 teeth. http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/7...e-p/116711.htm
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #2046
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,734
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jim!

So... you done yet?
__________________
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #2047
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Actually Eric it's the 185BLADEST 7-1/4' with 40 teeth. http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/7...e-p/116711.htm
Thanks Jim, I ordered one.
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #2048
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Okay, Jim. It's a new year. Hint, hint! Where iz u at?
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2049
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jim!

So... you done yet?
Thanks Jim! Happy New Year to you too. Done...what's that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Thanks Jim, I ordered one.
You're welcome Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Okay, Jim. It's a new year. Hint, hint! Where iz u at?
Been broke down for a few days. Computer has been anyway. Malware, virus and infections is what the invoice says from the place that fixed it.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #2050
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Been broke down for a few days. Computer has been anyway. Malware, virus and infections is what the invoice says from the place that fixed it.
Oh yeah... you told me that. I forgot!! Glad to see you back.
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #2051
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
I decided to cut the bumper off the frame that I had made at one time to replace the rear crossmember that was rusted too much to repair. At the time I didn't give enough thought to having room for a swing away tire carrier. As you can see I didn't have enough room. The vertical edge of the square is where the tub would be and there just isn't room for the carrier spindle. So off it came.



I had acquired one of the aftermarket crossmembers that are made a little thicker, 3/16" verses 1/8" for stock so that's what will replace the bumper.



It needed a little refining to work. I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom to allow the use of the rearmost spring hanger bolt and also added a 1" hole that was in the center of the frame. That hole will allow water to get out of the frame and also since it's getting galvanized it was needed so the acid and zinc can have a place to drain out.





I also wanted to beef things up a bit where the crossmember meets the frame and where the bumper will bolt on so I made some weld on braces out of 1/4" thick angle iron.



Got some more figuring and work in on the power steering bracket too. This plate is the main attachment point for the unit. I am now at the point where I need to build a jig to locate everything for tack welding so that it all lines up as it should and so nobody needs to worry with holes not lining up after they buy it.

__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #2052
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Glad to see some work coming out of that shop, Jim. I figured you had set around so long, doing nothing, that you got fat and couldn't move! I hate it that you removed your custom rear bumper/crossmember. It was pretty high-falutin'! You have the patience of Job, Brother!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #2053
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Good to see you back at it Jim. I'm going to be starting on my bumper soon. The Evolution blade came in the mail today for my skillsaw, but then I decided I needed one for my compound miter saw. It is 5200 rpm, and the blades are rated for that, so now I will have 10"s.

Anyways, welcome back from your virus. They seem to get nastier and nastier.

I have studied them over the years as they have evolved, (i'm retired from programming) and I know where they mostly hide out so I can usually fix them myself.

Fed-Ex just today delivered me a new computer I ordered. This one is going on 6 or 7 years old, and is just too slow since I do a lot of graphics work now.

I wanted to wait until the bugs were worked out of Win 7 before I purchased it. But now i hear the new Win 8 is on the way! I'm told it is going to make it very easy to repair viruses etc...

Back on topic, Are you selling the hinges for spare tire carrier like pictured?
__________________
'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #2054
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Glad to see some work coming out of that shop, Jim. I figured you had set around so long, doing nothing, that you got fat and couldn't move! I hate it that you removed your custom rear bumper/crossmember. It was pretty high-falutin'! You have the patience of Job, Brother!
Haven't been sitting much. Just been busy with other stuff lately. I can still use the bumper I made, just need to clean up the welds on the backside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Good to see you back at it Jim. I'm going to be starting on my bumper soon. The Evolution blade came in the mail today for my skillsaw, but then I decided I needed one for my compound miter saw. It is 5200 rpm, and the blades are rated for that, so now I will have 10"s.

Anyways, welcome back from your virus. They seem to get nastier and nastier.

I have studied them over the years as they have evolved, (i'm retired from programming) and I know where they mostly hide out so I can usually fix them myself.

Fed-Ex just today delivered me a new computer I ordered. This one is going on 6 or 7 years old, and is just too slow since I do a lot of graphics work now.

I wanted to wait until the bugs were worked out of Win 7 before I purchased it. But now i hear the new Win 8 is on the way! I'm told it is going to make it very easy to repair viruses etc...

Back on topic, Are you selling the hinges for spare tire carrier like pictured?
Thanks Eric. I got my spindle from a fellow member Jeremy. Here's his ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/handen-fabrication?_trksid=p4340.l2563. I have a feeling I'll need to get a new computer before long too. Been giving some thought to going with a Mac this time around. They say they're better made and less prone to attacks. Seems like such a waste for people to make up virusus and such. Guess it keeps allot of folks in business cleaning up after them though.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #2055
jatepper
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I decided to cut the bumper off the frame that I had made at one time to replace the rear crossmember that was rusted too much to repair. At the time I didn't give enough thought to having room for a swing away tire carrier. As you can see I didn't have enough room. The vertical edge of the square is where the tub would be and there just isn't room for the carrier spindle. So off it came.






Jim,

That sure is a NICE spindle and cap! lol.

Your frame tie-in kits look super! Might I suggest adding a little gusset? I think that would be a good idea!
__________________
1985 Jeep CJ-7
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.