Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 133 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #1981
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Ha!! You guys ought to see my UPS guy. He's 6' 3 and I bet wieghs over 300 and the other day I had him try out my seat placement just to see if a large person could get in without a bunch of trouble. He fit great but after Scott said what he did it got me thinking that he was sitting in that seat with just tack welds holding. I rest my case.
OK then! Guess who else is likely to weld up his anchors the same as you?? Thank, Jim!

Unread 11-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #1982
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

cage looks great Jim, I'm going to shop for a bender next week.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #1983
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys. My cage is in the process of being tig welded today! My neighbor who is a certified welder and has a portable rig is making all the welds solid today. Allot of guys can really make some nice mig welds on tubing but I'm not one of them so I hired him to tig all of the joints. Makes for a much stronger weld too. Here's how they're looking so far. More pictures later.
100_1062.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #1984
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That is one pretty weld Jim. You're neighbor is good at what he does. I work with a bunch of welders, they mainly use a TIG welder because of all the aluminum we fabricate but not many of them can weld that nice.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #1985
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Moving ahead, Dude!! Looking great... So what ELSE you got going on? Collecting anymore roadkill??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #1986
thomask
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks guys. My cage is in the process of being tig welded today! My neighbor who is a certified welder and has a portable rig is making all the welds solid today. Allot of guys can really make some nice mig welds on tubing but I'm not one of them so I hired him to tig all of the joints. Makes for a much stronger weld too. Here's how they're looking so far. More pictures later.
Hey JIM,

IMO Those welds should be in the text book of welding.

Nice to have talent right in your neighborhood.

A SUPER JOB there.

"Hey wave at a classic JEEP owner and make a new JEEP friend"
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #1987
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
That is one pretty weld Jim. You're neighbor is good at what he does. I work with a bunch of welders, they mainly use a TIG welder because of all the aluminum we fabricate but not many of them can weld that nice.
I've known him since he was born and he's always been top notch at everything he does. He went to tech school to learn the welding trade and has been with it since. Great thing about him too is that he's humble about it. A very good trait in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Moving ahead, Dude!! Looking great... So what ELSE you got going on? Collecting anymore roadkill??
I'm as excited about getting this cage welded as anything that I've done so far! He's still at it but should finish this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Hey JIM,

IMO Those welds should be in the text book of welding.

Nice to have talent right in your neighborhood.

A SUPER JOB there.
Thanks! He is doing a super job and I told him you said so.

Here's a little more of the welding. I'll have more later after he's done, don't want to get in his way.
100_1068.jpg   100_1066.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #1988
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Those are good looking welds, done in the Heart of the USA.

Whats next on the agenda?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #1989
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm as excited about getting this cage welded as anything that I've done so far! He's still at it but should finish this evening.
You have a right to be excited about it. Clay and I are excited for you, and just a bit envious! How many hours do you have in the construction phase, Jim? I hope we can make something as nice as yours.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #1990
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Those are good looking welds, done in the Heart of the USA.

Whats next on the agenda?

Bill
Thanks Bill. I'm going to let him read all of these comments in the thread at some point. To say that I'm pleased with the work he did for me is not enough. Yes USA!!!

I need to add a couple of tabs for the seat belts and this will be done. My next step is going to be to sit the cage back into the tub and bolt it down. My friend at the body shop has a porta power and said he'd push the area of the tub forward that was pushed back in the accident it went through. The tub will be coming off the frame before then too. I feel like working on the body work for a while now and have everything here to do so with, meaning not much money will need to be spent in doing so. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You have a right to be excited about it. Clay and I are excited for you, and just a bit envious! How many hours do you have in the construction phase, Jim? I hope we can make something as nice as yours.
Thanks Scott. Just guessing I'd say there's 40 hours in the cage, not counting all day today to weld it. If I had a bender with a ram on it the time could be cut down a good bit, pulling on that handle is tiring! Time spent in figuring everything out isn't in that either, that consumed allot of time. Time well spent though.

Scott you and Clay can do as good a job or better. After you get started you'll be surprised at how things come easier to you. Just like making the bends come out where you want, that is a technique you learn and there can be many ways to get to that point. What works for me may not work for you. Always take it slow and make sure what you're doing is what you really want. I bent my first main tube on this and had a feeling from the start it was wrong. And it was. The plywood pattern kept me from making that mistake again. Check your work as you go and if it goes to plan then it'll work.

My build thread
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #1991
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here's some more pictures of the finished job. I added several braces in the corners to counter against the cage racking if it flips or rolls. I used 1 1/4 dom for all of them. I think they'll serve the purpose well. Also in the 4rth picture I'm pointing to an extra tube I added today. I felt like the main part of the cage needed another point to tie it to the mounting plates. It also reduces the chances of the tube the seats and the one brace that attach to of bending.

The last picture just shows what an outstanding job Jeremy did for me in the welding. If I ever start selling anything welded to you guys this is the quality I'd want going out the door. It sells itself.
100_1069.jpg   100_1070.jpg   100_1071.jpg   100_1072.jpg   100_1074.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #1992
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Jim,

Those welds look awesome! Cage came out outstanding!!! I see a tig coming my way in the future!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #1993
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Jim,

Those welds look awesome! Cage came out outstanding!!! I see a tig coming my way in the future!
Ditto, Jeremy. Maybe it's just because yours is the first cage I've seen from scratch, but I have to say it's the best engineered, straightest, squarest, most attractive (that means cool, btw!) bundle of tubes ever formed into something useful!! We are looking forward to building something, ANYthing out of tubing, but I know my purse is thin, so we can't have a lot of sacrificial steel. I was making some rough estimates in the shop this evening, and I came up with about 60' of tubing. We'll go with 1 1/2". I know we'll probably need more than that, but it's a good start. The local yard (according to Clay) sells it in 24' sticks for $50. I'm going to get 4 sticks to start. Are you going to get it dipped?

I gotta get a hold of Jeremy for a set of dash tie-ins.

I know I'm glad I'm not painting your cage!!

Jim, what do you think about the different kinds of pipe benders that are available? Yours has a metering surface that tells you when you reach your desired angle... correct? The plans you sent me doesn't have that feature, or I didn't catch it. The pipe benders at HF don't appear to have a metering device either. How important is it to have that scale?

BTW- I think your cage shrunk!!

Unread 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #1994
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Beautiful job, Jim!

TIG is a slow welding process, and there are a lot of joints on your cage. That's a lot of TIG welding! Jeremy did a great job. You're lucky to know someone close by that could weld that for you. Welders like him are few and far between.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #1995
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.