Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #151
1983 CJ7 

Very nice shackle hangers

Unread 10-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #152
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Thanks Vince. Well machining things is what I do for a living. I plan to make some more when I figure out how to make them work right, I've thought about selling them.
I think you should think about it more. You could be funding your build. THose are good and heavy. Much nicer then what we can buy out of the catalogs and thy get big bucks for them
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #153
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Very nice shackle hangers
Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
I think you should think about it more. You could be funding your build. THose are good and heavy. Much nicer then what we can buy out of the catalogs and thy get big bucks for them
Thanks for the encouragement. I've looked at several of the others and noticed their prices. If I count my material, labor and powder cote charge I have about $50.00 for two of them invested. Add to that shipping charges and some mark up and they need to sell somewhat higher. I've also thought about leaving them unfinisihed like Besrk does his bumpers and let the buyer apply the finish. For me to get a decent price on the powder cote I have to have 100 of them to get finished, then they will charge $2.00 per part. Not a bad price.

If enough people would show an interest I'd make several sets and have them ready to sell. At this time I don't think it's fair to do any advertising here on the site since I don't have a vendors membership, that could be changed though.

Here's the rear hanger. I added an extra hole in in hopes it would make for a better way to mount it and take some stress off the other two bolts. Most anyone that is doing a frame off or some kind of rebuild could figure out how to get the extra threaded hole in the frame.
100_0206.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #154
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I know I'd be in for a set of those hangers
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #155
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks Nick!

I sent an pm to one of the mods to see about a vendors membership. I think that's a $300.00 fee.

I got the hanger on the driver's side machined to clear the steering box bracket. I think if I make any more they will be profiled a little differntly. I'll POR them sometime later on after I get some other things ready to finish. Now I can get back to the engine mounts.
100_0207.jpg   100_0208.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #156
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

Verry nice work
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #157
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is awesome!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #158
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepjohn View Post
Verry nice work
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicr1 View Post
That is awesome!!!
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I spent the afternoon taking the steering sector off the old tub and bolting it in the tub that I'm going to use, along with the steering box and shaft. There's not going to be any problem with them being too close to the engine.

I double checked all of the angles on the pinions and transfer case yokes. They look pretty good. The rear pinion is at a steeper angle than the transfer case yoke, by 4 degrees. That may be enough to cause some vibration with a single u-joint. I can fix that later if I need to. I gained some extra length on the rear driveshaft by about 3", that will be a benefit.

My next thing to check will be whether or not my headers interfere with how I plan to make the engine mounts. They should be here Tuesday. One of my fellow CJ owners, and a member here, with a Ford engine made me a great deal!

If that looks good then I will get started on the mounts.

My build thread
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #159
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

If I were not going all TJ suspension i would.

Another thing you could look at since they are small pieces is buying an oven and powder coat system yourself. I see them on ebay occasionaly. High upfront but cheaper in the long run
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #160
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Jim

You got a winner with the mounts. They make my stock mounts look pathetically weak. Hope you take the plunge; I'll buy a set if you do.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #161
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
If I were not going all TJ suspension i would.

Another thing you could look at since they are small pieces is buying an oven and powder coat system yourself. I see them on ebay occasionaly. High upfront but cheaper in the long run
Al that's a great idea on the powder coat oven. That could come in handy for other stuff as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Jim

You got a winner with the mounts. They make my stock mounts look pathetically weak. Hope you take the plunge; I'll buy a set if you do.
Thanks. I thought the stock mounts were too weak too. I have quite a bit of work in the shop right now but plan to make some more of these very soon. Thinking about getting things rounded up and doing a write up on the fab forum showing all the machining operations from start to finish.

My build thread
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #162
CJFF29
1979 CJ7 

Wow! You older guys (and I mean that with a great deal of respect) Definitely have tons of knowledge and attention to detail I just don't see in alot of us young fellas. Everytime I start reading one of these builds I am so impressed by your skills. There doesn't seem to be as many younger folks out there with the ability to create things with their bare hands and some hard work. I am really kicking myself for not getting into welding, metal work or even rebuilding cars at a younger age. I really feel behind the power curve here. Oh well, time to play catch up, let the Fabrication addiction set in.
CJFF29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #163
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My brain designs things all the time, when it comes to fabrication, the design gets lost somewhere between my brain and my fingers!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #164
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Us older guys were younger too.

You're on the right track. Learn how to do one thing then do it as well as you can then learn something else. You'll surprise yourself as to what you really are able to do.

My build thread
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #165
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Us older guys were younger too.

You're on the right track. Learn how to do one thing then do it as well as you can then learn something else. You'll surprise yourself as to what you really are able to do.
Oh Yeah, Baby! Young and dumb...

Good Advice, Jim. Learn how to use your hands and everybody else will hire you... because all they can do is type!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.