JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jims-85-cj7-rebuild-1093702/)

Jim1611 08-25-2010 02:47 PM

Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
After years of owning other kinds of 4 wheel drives and always wanting a Jeep I finally bought one about 10 years ago. It was a typical rust bucket. As bad as the body was rusted the frame only had some rust in the rear cross-member area. I drove it and worked on it for about 3 years and finally decided to take everything apart and start from the ground up.

I got the frame sandblasted and painted after making repairs that need to be made. Acquired a Ford T-18 and an Advance adapter to mate it to the Dana 300. My intentions were to rebuild a 302 that came out of a 68 Mustang but I bought a 95 5.0 HO from a salvage yard. I also wanted lower gears and some kind of lockers but really didn't want to put the money into the factory axles so I bought Ford 9" front and rear housings from Currie. That's about where I stopped about 4 years ago. Since then it has been taking up room in the shop. Last year I joined this forum and that really got me interested in the Jeep again. Now I've started working on it as time and money permit.

Anyway I figured I'd start a build thread on here. Here's some pictures of what things look like back when I took it apart.

Jim1611 08-25-2010 02:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's how it sits today. The tub pictures are of a 94 YJ that I got this spring that I'll be using instead of the CJ tub.

4lowherewego 08-25-2010 03:14 PM

glad you started back up on the rebuild. I really like those tires!

Jim1611 08-25-2010 04:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm at a point now where I really want to get the front axle completed so I have a rolling chasis and then make the changes to the frame so the YJ tub will fit. Here's the axle housing and what stage it's in as of today, just waiting to have some extra money to buy the gears, locker, and axles. Those are the biggest expense left on that.

243 08-25-2010 04:32 PM

First in!!!

Another great build to follow and a cool shop to drool over :D

It also looks like you have enough land to setup a gun range :gunfight:

Jim1611 08-25-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4lowherewego (Post 10019006)
glad you started back up on the rebuild. I really like those tires!

Thank you!

Jim1611 08-25-2010 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 243 (Post 10019388)
First in!!!

Another great build to follow and a cool shop to drool over :D

It also looks like you have enough land to setup a gun range :gunfight:

You guessed the shooting thing right Dave. Here's the bench and backstop. That's 100 yards and the backstop can be used up to 375 yards. I need a more portable bench for that. Another project. I'll never get done.

Skerr 08-25-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim1611 (Post 10019446)
You guessed the shooting thing right Dave. Here's the bench and backstop. That's 100 yards and the backstop can be used up to 375 yards. I need a more portable bench for that. Another project. I'll never get done.

I am so glad you decided to do this. :thumbsup: You started out really well with some good parts, and everyone can learn from you. I have had the pleasure of dealing with Jim on a more personal level, and I can tell you he is a talented machinist. I think your shooting rest is suitable for punt guns and 6 pounders, however! :rofl: It probably won't wobble any. Glad you're IN... Subscribed!! :2thumbsup:

243 08-25-2010 07:34 PM

Now I am so dang jealous it is not even funny...my closest of two crappy shooting ranges is 30 miles away, my gun club is 96 miles away :pout:

jdmartie 08-25-2010 07:54 PM

Glad you got started back up. It's always nice to see what everyone else is doing for ideas. I have a CJ5 but military and time is not on my side to getting her done. Just enjoy driving her when I can. Keep it up and where from MO are you from?

FamillyCJ7 08-25-2010 08:24 PM

Dude this looks like a great build. You got some nice quality parts there! Wish I had the dough to get some nice built axles that I never have to worry about. And I want a T18a so bad with the 6.32 first gear and mate it to the D300 with a 4:1 terra low kit. I think it gives a 98 crawl ratio in first gear with 4.56 gears lol.

I might have to stick to just upgrading my stock stuff, but I think it'll do for what I'll be doing with the jeep.

Are you running the axles full length or are they stock CJ width?

I would love to have you document your build on my website North East FL 4x4 :thumbsup:
I should be ready to shoot the Chassis Saver in the next couple days. It's been raining like crazy though, I hope to see your progress on my site, but I'll be watching it here too.

Coiz 08-26-2010 12:17 AM

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...9/popcorn2.gif

Sure wish I had a set of 9" axles under mine. Oh, and a shooting range in my backyard. I haven't shot my guns in almost 6 years. :ignore:

Jim1611 08-26-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmartie (Post 10020510)
Glad you got started back up. It's always nice to see what everyone else is doing for ideas. I have a CJ5 but military and time is not on my side to getting her done. Just enjoy driving her when I can. Keep it up and where from MO are you from?

Thanks for the encouragement. I had a friend wanting to buy everything I had laying around last year and considered selling the Jeep and parts to him but decided against it. Besides you never get any where close to what you have invested and if I had sold it I'd be back looking for another Jeep to start over on.

I live in northeast Missouri, about 30 miles southwest of Hannibal. Perry is the name of the town. Little farming community. You from Missouri? I take it you're in the military. Thanks for taking care of our country if that's the case.

Jim1611 08-26-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 (Post 10020680)
Dude this looks like a great build. You got some nice quality parts there! Wish I had the dough to get some nice built axles that I never have to worry about. And I want a T18a so bad with the 6.32 first gear and mate it to the D300 with a 4:1 terra low kit. I think it gives a 98 crawl ratio in first gear with 4.56 gears lol.

I might have to stick to just upgrading my stock stuff, but I think it'll do for what I'll be doing with the jeep.

Are you running the axles full length or are they stock CJ width?

I would love to have you document your build on my website North East FL 4x4 :thumbsup:
I should be ready to shoot the Chassis Saver in the next couple days. It's been raining like crazy though, I hope to see your progress on my site, but I'll be watching it here too.

Thanks for the compliments! The axle housings are standard CJ width. It's not the housings that cost so much but what goes inside. I called Currie, Randy's, and several other drivetrain places and they all wanted anywhere from $1200.00 to $1500.00 just for the gears, locker, and drop out housing. Then for the front end you have to buy the inner axles. In looking back, especially after watching the builds on here, I kinda wish I'd have left the stock axles and concentrated on the rest. I might even be close to driving it now.

I've been watching your progress. Everything is looking like it's going great for you! Glad you got the compressor problems taken care of. That thing out to outlast you and me both and put out all kinds of air. I took a look at your website. Let me see how things go for my documentation on here for a bit first. This is my first attempt at doing this and I'm not the most commputer savy guy around. I like the way you have the site laid out!!

Jim1611 08-26-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coiz (Post 10021851)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...9/popcorn2.gif

Sure wish I had a set of 9" axles under mine. Oh, and a shooting range in my backyard. I haven't shot my guns in almost 6 years. :ignore:

Mike you've been too busy making beer and rebuilding your Jeep to have time to shoot. :) I honestly don't see how you get so much done and still hold down a full time job! You're one of the people on here that has convinced me to finish my project too. You've been a great help.

The 44's you have are nothing to sneeze at. I really like the rear lockouts you have. Dana 44's have allot more options too when it comes to lockers. Ox doesn't make one for the 9". There are some others too but I can't remember.

I've been meaning to ask, if you don't mind, do live in the vicinity of Byron, Il.? I've got a very good friend there.

The time now is 10:43 PM.