Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 22 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 1968 Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Wow, you find all the good Fords out there. Now you have the perfect tow rig and plus if you break a shaft you can take them from the tow truck, LOL we did
Those look like utilty line's trucks, somthing that would see some power line trails.

One thing I wanted to add about the H2 rims is the center ID needs to be clearanced alittle, Ive been meaning to say something about it but allways forget.
But its not a big deal, you just take a Dies grinder or a dremel and cut them your self till they slide over the hub. I figure I will warn you so when you get them and they dont slide over you dont freak out. Really its no big deal just one more thing to add to the fabractoin list.

Two trucks now, I'm seeing a buggy in your future

Jason.
Yes, after we spoke I called my 82 year old father in-law who worked in a Ford dealership as an alignment man for his adult life. He figures I couldn't go wrong. I got it for $2000 and it has a good engine. That's what I figured, too, about parts, now I have some emergency spares that are totally AC-DC so to speak! Lots of spare parts from my axle donor F350 to put into storage for those rainy days later on when this one needs something.

They were both tree planting trucks. The roads around here that they saw are tougher than what some week-end Jeep warriors may see. Especially when you add in year-after-year-after-year pounding. It really is a sign of good tough Made-In-America pride. At least for me it is.

Thanks for the heads up about the center diameter on the rims.

I got a 5th rim out of Rochester and its on the way here. Thanks Jason


Last edited by jeepsterjc; 05-19-2010 at 12:26 PM.
jeepsterjc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #317 of 1968 Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
good deal on the radiator...seems like JEGS has good customer support. You have enough ford 3/4 ton trucks?
Yes, I've had the rad for over a year I think. I was really surprised that they were so accommodating. I'm paying for the shipping of the Chevy style back to Jegs. They are paying for the new Ford to ship back to me. Awesome.

Hey- those are one tons!!! I don't know- can a guy ever have too many truck parts?
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #318 of 1968 Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Wow, you find all the good Fords out there. Now you have the perfect tow rig and plus if you break a shaft you can take them from the tow truck, LOL we did
Those look like utilty line's trucks, somthing that would see some power line trails.

One thing I wanted to add about the H2 rims is the center ID needs to be clearanced alittle, Ive been meaning to say something about it but allways forget.
But its not a big deal, you just take a Dies grinder or a dremel and cut them your self till they slide over the hub. I figure I will warn you so when you get them and they dont slide over you dont freak out. Really its no big deal just one more thing to add to the fabractoin list.

Two trucks now, I'm seeing a buggy in your future

Jason.
So how much of an increase do I need on the center rim opening? Just a chamfer or is there more?? Thanks.
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #319 of 1968 Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM
jason m
Nothing but the facts
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
So how much of an increase do I need on the center rim opening? Just a chamfer or is there more?? Thanks.
Ya its only a 1/8" or so difference, heres a good thread Hummer H2 Wheel Upgrade

I'm told certon year GM's will have a larger boar, but the two sets I have ( one mine and one my friends ) bolth have the little lip on them. So some bring them to a machine shop and have them clearance them, me Ive done it with a 4" hard stone and a little time.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f149/...buggy-3693817/
jason m is offline  
post #320 of 1968 Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Ya its only a 1/8" or so difference, heres a good thread Hummer H2 Wheel Upgrade

I'm told certon year GM's will have a larger boar, but the two sets I have ( one mine and one my friends ) bolth have the little lip on them. So some bring them to a machine shop and have them clearance them, me Ive done it with a 4" hard stone and a little time.

Jason.
Yeah, when I was looking at the Hummer rim pics, I noticed the lugs weren't used to center the rims- no chamfers on the lug holes... these are the first rims that I can think of that I've had that are hub centered. I wonder how much the H2 lugs will cost and where I can buy them? I hope NAPA, and cheap!
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #321 of 1968 Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Yeah, when I was looking at the Hummer rim pics, I noticed the lugs weren't used to center the rims- no chamfers on the lug holes... these are the first rims that I can think of that I've had that are hub centered. I wonder how much the H2 lugs will cost and where I can buy them? I hope NAPA, and cheap!
OK- here we go. The lug holes are chamfer in these photos...

Off-road rim backspacing for the record.
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #322 of 1968 Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
OK- here we go. The lug holes are chamfer in these photos...

Off-road rim backspacing for the record.
And here is a nice clean efficient way to do it:
TDR Roundtable - View Single Post - Another Way to Adapt H2 Wheels

jeepsterjc is offline  
post #323 of 1968 Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Anyone know anything about ORO AiRock air ride systems- besides being expensive? I've emailed them to see if they will only sell 4 airsprings and 4 shocks.
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #324 of 1968 Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Douglas S.
Registered User
1991  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 2,645
Seems pretty sweet, the air suspension on my Dad's old Range Rover was really nice until we got tired of fixing it and swapped it out for coils.

I'm sure we'll change it back eventually. It was great when you had the rear loaded down because it would still sit level.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81
1987 YJ Laredo
Douglas S. is offline  
post #325 of 1968 Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 3,487
Good Idea with the router bit, I think I will try that.

Yes the rims are hubs centerted, but the lug nuts in the Pic look like the one's my friend used.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f149/...buggy-3693817/
jason m is offline  
post #326 of 1968 Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Seems pretty sweet, the air suspension on my Dad's old Range Rover was really nice until we got tired of fixing it and swapped it out for coils.

I'm sure we'll change it back eventually. It was great when you had the rear loaded down because it would still sit level.
Yes- leaks would be a big concern- that and moisture. Especially where I live. Very high humidity.
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #327 of 1968 Old 05-22-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
OK- like this is a tweet! For most- who the he|| cares ;-0 But I finally got around to swapping some F350 parts and then drove the hell out of the one with the good 460... NICE

The parts truck goes to get some major pressure hosing tomorrow, then pulling the axles and other goodies. The rims arrived yesterday and they look like they are new. They will look awesome on the Scrambler when I finish up.

So, here are a couple of poser pics just because, like- when ever will I own two registered F350 4x4 Crewcab Long Boxes ever again!!! These things are a hoot! I'm putting more time into the Fords than the Scrambler!



jeepsterjc is offline  
post #328 of 1968 Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts
 
jason m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland mass USA
Posts: 3,487
Sweet rims

And I still cant belive you got two very good looking trucks there, well one is short for this life

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f149/...buggy-3693817/
jason m is offline  
post #329 of 1968 Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Sweet rims

And I still cant belive you got two very good looking trucks there, well one is short for this life

Jason.
Yep- really short! After pressure hosing the donor truck engine, axles and frame down I found a solenoid controlled PCV valve on the passenger side rocker cover of the 460 that was torn off. I'll repair it and then see if oil still blows out the dip stick. I bet it won't.

I've got that old Waggy taking up too much space. It has to go or things will be too complicated in the back yard. I've got a short list of parts to swap from the donor into the daily driver. You can see the daily driver in the garage. The rear bumper will be one of the first things to swap. I'm now thinking that a 24' long garage would have been nicer, but my back yard wasn't wide enough... I can still stand up under the F350 when it is on the hoist. There is more room under there than i thought. Did a lube job and oil change.


jeepsterjc is offline  
post #330 of 1968 Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Yep- really short! After pressure hosing the donor truck engine, axles and frame down I found a solenoid controlled PCV valve on the passenger side rocker cover of the 460 that was torn off. I'll repair it and then see if oil still blows out the dip stick. I bet it won't.
Oh yeah.

A bad fitting to the PCV valve. The valve was clean and OK. The rubber T that connected to it was broken. There was a constant huge vacuum leak and the case was not venting properly. I didn't bother to trace where the solenoid controlled line went to, but it was not between the PCV and the manifold... It was on the other side of the T going to somewhere else. Now I have two great clean 460s!! A little tired, but neither burning any oil and no engine noises. Woohoo!

Now to change out the rear bumper.
jeepsterjc is offline  
Reply

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Questions about 1 tons and V8s ace2001 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 05-27-2009 07:35 AM
Noobie with tons of questions:Suspension/Lifting killamike YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 02-25-2005 12:16 PM
New Scrambler Coming Soon!!! SaharaStu TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 07-11-2004 06:02 AM
New scrambler...When is it coming just1byte TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 05-12-2004 07:59 PM
Tons of 258 Questions - Please help! Zeke YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 04-01-2002 01:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome