Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild - Page 137 - JeepForum.com

 18Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2041 of 3908 Old 12-25-2011, 06:06 AM
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Hey Jim. Merry Christmas.

I was re-reading your post to see what saw blade you used for that cut pictured a few post up. I'm going to get one for when I make my winch plate.

You stated you cut 1/2" HRS. Can you explain what HRS is, and why you specified it?

Also, wanted to mention that when I finish my Scout build, I plan to install OME YJ springs on my CJ. While I'm at it, I will add in the steering box mount and receiver bumper. I will be ordering your parts for the conversion of course.


'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 3908 Old 12-25-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Hey Jim. Merry Christmas.

I was re-reading your post to see what saw blade you used for that cut pictured a few post up. I'm going to get one for when I make my winch plate.

You stated you cut 1/2" HRS. Can you explain what HRS is, and why you specified it?

Also, wanted to mention that when I finish my Scout build, I plan to install OME YJ springs on my CJ. While I'm at it, I will add in the steering box mount and receiver bumper. I will be ordering your parts for the conversion of course.
Merry Christmas to you too Eric!

I'm sure you'll like the metal cutting saw blade. I do although was skeptical at first but not anymore! I've even thought it would work on my table saw too but didn't want the mess of the meatl chips so I haven't tried it.

HRS is just the abreviation for Hot Rolled Steel. It's simply what you'd go down to the steel supply to buy for building most anything you'd weld together. Flats, angle, sheetmetal, and beems are made this way.

The technical version in the name is that the material has been heated to a certain tempurature and ran through rollers. This compacts it and sizes it. The process also leaves a scale on the surface of the material and really should be cleaned off pryor to painting, sometimes it'll flake off if you don't. Your trusty sandblaster is the perfect tool. You can also buy it with the scale removed. They do this by "pickling" it and that is what allot of the bigger shops are using. Especially when its to be cut with a laser.

I tried looking at your Scout build the other day but the pictures wouldn't show. I'll try again sometime. Hope it's coming along good .

Just holler when you need the parts for the CJ. I worked on the steering box mount some yesterday but didn't make any real progress. Trying to measure the factory mount with all of it's angles and different hole locations looks simple till you get started! But I'll get it right.
Jim1611 is online now  
post #2043 of 3908 Old 12-25-2011, 09:23 PM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,380
Merry Christmas!

1978 Cherokee, TBI 360/T400/QT...6.0/6L80/NP241C in the works...
243 is offline  
post #2044 of 3908 Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 AM
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Jim,
Went shopping for one of those Evolution blades, and not sure which one will work. I'm thinking the 230BLADEST is what you used?

'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline  
post #2045 of 3908 Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Jim,
Went shopping for one of those Evolution blades, and not sure which one will work. I'm thinking the 230BLADEST is what you used?
Actually Eric it's the 185BLADEST 7-1/4' with 40 teeth. http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/7...e-p/116711.htm
Jim1611 is online now  
post #2046 of 3908 Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler
 
jeepsterjc's Avatar
1977 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Creston
Posts: 1,997
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jim!

So... you done yet?
jeepsterjc is offline  
post #2047 of 3908 Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Actually Eric it's the 185BLADEST 7-1/4' with 40 teeth. http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/7...e-p/116711.htm
Thanks Jim, I ordered one.

'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline  
post #2048 of 3908 Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,494
Okay, Jim. It's a new year. Hint, hint! Where iz u at?

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2049 of 3908 Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jim!

So... you done yet?
Thanks Jim! Happy New Year to you too. Done...what's that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Thanks Jim, I ordered one.
You're welcome Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Okay, Jim. It's a new year. Hint, hint! Where iz u at?
Been broke down for a few days. Computer has been anyway. Malware, virus and infections is what the invoice says from the place that fixed it.
Jim1611 is online now  
post #2050 of 3908 Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Been broke down for a few days. Computer has been anyway. Malware, virus and infections is what the invoice says from the place that fixed it.
Oh yeah... you told me that. I forgot!! Glad to see you back.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2051 of 3908 Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,093
I decided to cut the bumper off the frame that I had made at one time to replace the rear crossmember that was rusted too much to repair. At the time I didn't give enough thought to having room for a swing away tire carrier. As you can see I didn't have enough room. The vertical edge of the square is where the tub would be and there just isn't room for the carrier spindle. So off it came.



I had acquired one of the aftermarket crossmembers that are made a little thicker, 3/16" verses 1/8" for stock so that's what will replace the bumper.



It needed a little refining to work. I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom to allow the use of the rearmost spring hanger bolt and also added a 1" hole that was in the center of the frame. That hole will allow water to get out of the frame and also since it's getting galvanized it was needed so the acid and zinc can have a place to drain out.





I also wanted to beef things up a bit where the crossmember meets the frame and where the bumper will bolt on so I made some weld on braces out of 1/4" thick angle iron.



Got some more figuring and work in on the power steering bracket too. This plate is the main attachment point for the unit. I am now at the point where I need to build a jig to locate everything for tack welding so that it all lines up as it should and so nobody needs to worry with holes not lining up after they buy it.

Jim1611 is online now  
post #2052 of 3908 Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,494
Glad to see some work coming out of that shop, Jim. I figured you had set around so long, doing nothing, that you got fat and couldn't move! I hate it that you removed your custom rear bumper/crossmember. It was pretty high-falutin'! You have the patience of Job, Brother!

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2053 of 3908 Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Good to see you back at it Jim. I'm going to be starting on my bumper soon. The Evolution blade came in the mail today for my skillsaw, but then I decided I needed one for my compound miter saw. It is 5200 rpm, and the blades are rated for that, so now I will have 10"s.

Anyways, welcome back from your virus. They seem to get nastier and nastier.

I have studied them over the years as they have evolved, (i'm retired from programming) and I know where they mostly hide out so I can usually fix them myself.

Fed-Ex just today delivered me a new computer I ordered. This one is going on 6 or 7 years old, and is just too slow since I do a lot of graphics work now.

I wanted to wait until the bugs were worked out of Win 7 before I purchased it. But now i hear the new Win 8 is on the way! I'm told it is going to make it very easy to repair viruses etc...

Back on topic, Are you selling the hinges for spare tire carrier like pictured?

'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline  
post #2054 of 3908 Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Glad to see some work coming out of that shop, Jim. I figured you had set around so long, doing nothing, that you got fat and couldn't move! I hate it that you removed your custom rear bumper/crossmember. It was pretty high-falutin'! You have the patience of Job, Brother!
Haven't been sitting much. Just been busy with other stuff lately. I can still use the bumper I made, just need to clean up the welds on the backside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Good to see you back at it Jim. I'm going to be starting on my bumper soon. The Evolution blade came in the mail today for my skillsaw, but then I decided I needed one for my compound miter saw. It is 5200 rpm, and the blades are rated for that, so now I will have 10"s.

Anyways, welcome back from your virus. They seem to get nastier and nastier.

I have studied them over the years as they have evolved, (i'm retired from programming) and I know where they mostly hide out so I can usually fix them myself.

Fed-Ex just today delivered me a new computer I ordered. This one is going on 6 or 7 years old, and is just too slow since I do a lot of graphics work now.

I wanted to wait until the bugs were worked out of Win 7 before I purchased it. But now i hear the new Win 8 is on the way! I'm told it is going to make it very easy to repair viruses etc...

Back on topic, Are you selling the hinges for spare tire carrier like pictured?
Thanks Eric. I got my spindle from a fellow member Jeremy. Here's his ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/handen-fabrication?_trksid=p4340.l2563. I have a feeling I'll need to get a new computer before long too. Been giving some thought to going with a Mac this time around. They say they're better made and less prone to attacks. Seems like such a waste for people to make up virusus and such. Guess it keeps allot of folks in business cleaning up after them though.
Jim1611 is online now  
post #2055 of 3908 Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
jatepper
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I decided to cut the bumper off the frame that I had made at one time to replace the rear crossmember that was rusted too much to repair. At the time I didn't give enough thought to having room for a swing away tire carrier. As you can see I didn't have enough room. The vertical edge of the square is where the tub would be and there just isn't room for the carrier spindle. So off it came.






Jim,

That sure is a NICE spindle and cap! lol.

Your frame tie-in kits look super! Might I suggest adding a little gusset? I think that would be a good idea!

1986 CJ7 Laredo - Auto 14k miles
1985 CJ7 Renegade - Auto 33k miles
1982 CJ8 Scrambler - T5 T-SPD
jatepper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
AMC 360 Rebuild gmshades Jeep CJ Forum 29 08-14-2015 12:44 PM
Rebuild 258 or 4.0 HO? 1979CJ7newguy Jeep CJ Forum 6 09-29-2011 11:04 PM
Jim's cj5 build up patchy_400 Jeep CJ Forum 10 11-24-2010 02:07 PM
Carter BBD rebuild: Does it matter which rebuild kit I use? Ken4444 Jeep CJ Forum 2 06-14-2010 11:01 AM
CJ tub rebuild paraman72 Jeep CJ Forum 5 06-07-2005 10:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome