JFI fuel injection system, anyone have any info? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > JFI fuel injection system, anyone have any info?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

JFI fuel injection system, anyone have any info?

I just got my cj running and all of the other good things like that and now its time for CALIFORNIA smog testing! I have read that this is the first system to qualify under the C.A.R.B. law or something like that for california. but it seems to be running rich because you can see the smog comin out the tail pipe like when a car hasnt warmed up yet....but always. so if anyone knows anything about this system and could help my out with diagrams and things that would be awesome, thanks

thebeast64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bump! Anyone know anything? Or am I SOL?
Unread 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast64 View Post
I just got my cj running and all of the other good things like that and now its time for CALIFORNIA smog testing! I have read that this is the first system to qualify under the C.A.R.B. law or something like that for california. but it seems to be running rich because you can see the smog comin out the tail pipe like when a car hasnt warmed up yet....but always. so if anyone knows anything about this system and could help my out with diagrams and things that would be awesome, thanks
I think that sounds like the Electromotive system they put out. JFI stands for Jeep Fuel Injection. Should have a crank sensor bolted to the front of the crankshaft, wasted spark and a mass air flow sensor to go with the TBI.

If it was running rich you would see black smoke out the tailpipe. If you are seeing more white colored exhaust like when an engine is warming up then I would suspect you have a breach between the coolant system and the combustion chamber, such as a bad head gasket or a cracked/warped head.

There are still dealers out there for Electromotive kits. I even found a local dealer and they still had the trigger wheel, VR sensor and mount available for the 4.2 six (I was thinking of using it with my MegaSquirt fuel injection system). You might even find the user manual on their website, look at the TEC 1 and TEC 2 manuals and see if they look similar.

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/manuals.html

I would love to play around with and old Electromotive system.

HTH, Brian.
bleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
slacker92104

If you want, you can take it to a "smog check" station and have it pre-tested. When they ask for your registration, tell them it's not yours. You're thinking about buying it and want it checked. That way it hopefully won't be logged if it fails (I'm not sure that it really matters if it is logged though).
Unread 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
UPJ Wheeler

if you have any questions about the kit, electromotive is still in business (as far as I know). I bought a JFI kit on ebay about a year and a half ago (although I may have been a little hasty about the purchase). I havent installed it yet, but when I was going through all of the wiring, I gave them a call and they techs were able to answer all of the questions I had.

They stopped making the JFI kit because there was a lack of consumer interest and good competition.
'79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, HEI, T5 World Class, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers

4.0 Head and TBI on the way
UPJ Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes! thanks you guys so much, i really havent run it a LONG time, for maybe 20 mins at a time, do you think thats a long enough time for it to not be making the greyish exhaust Also the exhaust dissipates approx 2 ft from the tail pipe....im just wondering if that points to anything as well.... since it was running before they decided to store it, im thinking not a cracked head, but maybe a bad head gasket? would it go bad from just sitting?
Unread 12-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

If all you have done is run it for 20 min with no load, and the white-ish colored exhaust dissipates that quick, your engine/exhaust system may not have been fully warmed up yet.
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

maybe not, but it does seem to drip at lot of water...more than ususal, is it possible that there is some water that has ended up in the muffler or something like that because it has been sitting for 8 years?
Unread 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
slacker92104

Water can collect in the exhaust system. I would run it longer. Make sure everything is fully up to operating temperature. Then take another look.
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok i will do that, however on the same note, if i do end up having to change the gasket, im going to just do the 4.0 head swap, but what will this do to my emissions? can i not do this under California emissions?
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

I am not sure about the rules in California, but from an air fuel ratio perspective you should be fine with a 4.0 head assuming the injector's flow rate they use is not maxed out currently. This assumes JFI is a MAF system and will adjust for the amount of air you are moving through the engine to keep the fuel correct. Were you able to find documentation for your system from the Electromotive website?

As opposed to a speed density system that uses a MAP sensor along with a VE table. With those small changes can be handled with O2 feedback but you would need to tune the VE table to get maximum results from upgrades to the engine.
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the JFI is a MAF system, and yes i was able to find documentation, however it states that its not programmable, and that its not supposed to be used with different highlift camshafts.... so does that mean that its not a good match?
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
thebeast64
1994 YJ Wrangler 

there is a programmable version but its not california legal! DOH
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
awils10
1984 CJ7 

If you are confidant in programming it buy the programmable prom on ebay. The software is free from electromotive. This alowes fuel delivery and timing to be programmed. Just changing the comprssion ratio will not affect the electromotive system. The only reson I believe they recomend using a mild cam is due to ignition timing differences between cams. Personally I would see what gasses they check for at emmisions and go from there. in Pima AZ they only check for CO and Hydrocarbons making passing ez. other states and counties are different though
awils10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.