Jevy's 84 CJ-7 build/repair thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jevy's 84 CJ-7 build/repair thread

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Jevy's 84 CJ-7 build/repair thread

Hey everyone,

Well I finally got my 1984 CJ'7 home and unfortunately it wasn't in near a good condition as I was told. Here are the specs on the Jeep as far as I can tell:

'84 CJ-7
Fiberglass tub (with front tilting cap)
350 Chevy Small block(hence my username Jevy half Jeep half Chevy)
TH400 transmission
4"(?) suspension lift
Shackle lift
2-3" body lift
35" BFG MT's

Known mechanical issues I will be addressing:
-Heater doesn't work
-frame cracks where the rear shackles connect to the frame
-Frame crack under the passenger side seat
-power steering pump has a real moan to it whenever any steering is done going down the road
-HUGE amounts of play in the steering while going down the road
-speedometer jumps while going down the road(cable hopefully)
-gas gauge doesn't work
-e brake light is on all the time
-brakes are very spongy feeling through the brake pedal....hopefully they just need to be bled some but they do stop very well
-I plan to fully service all fluids on it so I know when everything was serviced.

The plan is to use the Jeep for weekend camping/kayak/hunting trips. I do not have near the skills of a lot of people on here so this will be a budget/average Joe project.

Here are a few pics from the listing

So for the list of things planned in the near future(this is where it'll get interesting)

-I have a DIY JCR Offroad rear bumper (ordered)
-Monsterliner interior/exterior(ordered)
-Install a rear seat with seat belts
-Replace the seat belts on the front seats
-Replace steering shaft on steering column(one on there is WORE out!!! ordered)
-install front rollcage
-security console with stereo(just basic radio nothing fancy)

Long term:
replace front seats
front/rear lockers
winch

Things to determine:

-whether to leave all of the lift on there. I may end up taking off the shackle lift and maybe the body lift as well.

-Debating on whether to keep the tilting front cap. I don't know if I will be able to have a winch on the front and still have the cap tilt. I will be doing some measuring in the near future to try to decide what to do. I'm concerned that going back to a conventional front end may take a great deal of work and $$$ to get the front grill/fenders/hood back to a conventional front end.

-Jeep came with a hardtop but soft doors. I will need to figure out whether to go soft top all the time or buy the hard doors. At this point I'm leaning towards a soft top but I have a while to figure that out.

I am also in the process of putting together an M-416 trailer to pull behind the Jeep but that's another thread.

Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Hey jevy,

I am in the same spot as you with my 86 cj7. I am still waiting for mine to be shipped in next week! I am going to subscribe to this thread so I can follow your lead!
Unread 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Woke up today to a load of back pain so I didn't get anything done. I did get a couple of new pics. The paint looks better at a distance than it really is. I hope to get the carpet tore out this week and prepped for the monster liner I have ordered.

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Jevy,

The body and frame look pretty clean from the pics. Surprised you have cracks
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

From what i see you have an older frame and running gear. Older than 84. I cant see that the shackles are that long. Check the steering box make sure it isnt loose or brackets broke. Pics look good

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbatt View Post
Jevy,

The body and frame look pretty clean from the pics. Surprised you have cracks
well the body is fiberglass so I don't know why it was replaced(salt/rust rot crash or what). The cracks in the frame shouldn't be too big of a deal. The biggest part of it will be taking the shackles loose to make room to do the welding.
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
1983 CJ7 

You said it doesn't look as good as you expected but it sure looks sweet on my screen

Welcome to JF!
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

well today I got a bikini top put on and it shows my steering parts will be in tomorrow. I'll try to grab a few pics once I get it all back together.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

steering parts arrived and naturally they don't fit. Looks like maybe I'm running a different steering box than stock. I'm probably going to have to get someone that knows better than me to fix this one. I'm having some back trouble and this is really an aggravation that I don't need. The stock shaft fell apart when I took it loose. The U-joint at the steering box fell into pieces once removed. Lucky somebody didn't get killed with it like that.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy
steering parts arrived and naturally they don't fit. Looks like maybe I'm running a different steering box than stock. I'm probably going to have to get someone that knows better than me to fix this one. I'm having some back trouble and this is really an aggravation that I don't need. The stock shaft fell apart when I took it loose. The U-joint at the steering box fell into pieces once removed. Lucky somebody didn't get killed with it like that.
I bet your steering box is 70's not an 84 what i see in the pics you have an older frame and axles not 84. Looks like narrow track to me but your frame is older if it has the steering box that came on it and you got parts for an 84 they wont work

Unread 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

the replacement shaft itself is about 5-6" too short. Do you think I should order one for a mid 70's to see if that fits first? The replacement shaft collars do not fit the steering box or the column so something is definitely not right. Looks like I really got screwed on this purchase.
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy
the replacement shaft itself is about 5-6" too short. Do you think I should order one for a mid 70's to see if that fits first? The replacement shaft collars do not fit the steering box or the column so something is definitely not right. Looks like I really got screwed on this purchase.
I would call and ask what the difference is in the years. Some one on here can probably tell you. You might get the number off the box and run it. The later frames have bolt on shock towers and yours has the short weld on ones. Im just guessing the box is 70's as well. Probably the column as well

Unread 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

thank you for the info. I obviously don't know much about older Jeeps. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of ?'s before it's all said and done.

Quadratec has another shaft listed as a cut to length shaft and it looks more like the one on there so I have one ordered.
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

I wouldnt do much untill i knew what i had. Youll throw good money after bad if your not carefull

Unread 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

I counted the splines and measured the shaft. I'm pretty sure this is the right one......keeping my fingers crossed. Quadratec also said I can return the first shaft so all I'm out is the shipping.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.