Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #106
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well being as the computer is nothing they can check perse as OBDs did not come into vehicles until 1996 that is something to plug in and read codes. As long as your engine is tuned right you should have no problems.

Yep do over just pay another 35 bucks ask why it failed they will most likely tell you and fix it and come back the next day.

Unread 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #107
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
Here's the question, if I Nutter it and remove all the junk that goes with the Nutter and I fail the emissions test, then what? Do over?
Nope. Your Jeep is over 25 years old and under current Texas State Law, is only required to pass the Safety Inspection portion...you're emission exempt.
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #108
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES View Post
Nope. Your Jeep is over 25 years old and under current Texas State Law, is only required to pass the Safety Inspection portion...you're emission exempt.
Saweeeeeet!

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #109
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

I'll be moving to Kaufman County...
Jeep will be exempt from emissions too!
Looking good on the blower motor upgrade...
Did you know about the Crow's mud bog and races over in Kaufman?
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #110
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyray2929 View Post
I'll be moving to Kaufman County...
Jeep will be exempt from emissions too!
Looking good on the blower motor upgrade...
Did you know about the Crow's mud bog and races over in Kaufman?
No sir, but I found out about this place a few months ago, and I will be visiting it when I get trail worthy.

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/

Unread 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #111
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
I got a guy that does it for $125-$150, depending on the number of items I give him. Set up fee is a minimal $125.
Depending on what you are bringing him, if its just small stuff, and a standard color like black, that sounds pretty pricey.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #112
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

After a good scrubbing with some hot soap and water, then a light sanding with some 220, I'm real happy with the way this plastic heater shroud turned out. Looks new!

yeti85.jpg

Before, nasty with worn out foam...

yeti86.jpg

After a quick trip to the wire grinder.

yeti87.jpg

And the finished product. Even though they were not painted before, I might shoot a coat of flat silver on those brackets just to tidy the assembly up. They were super nasty. Now I'm just waiting on foam. Hurry up and wait. :|

yeti88.jpg

Unread 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #113
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Got some parts in the mail this past week. We had a very nice day up in the Big D and I capitalized on it and worked on the Yeti most of the day.

I'm getting ready to cut the new hole in the firewall for the new Blazer motor. But before I do that, I noticed that the seal around this hole had a big leak in it and it was rusting from both sides. So I took off the little metal plate, sanded the rust and paint off it, and repainted it. But not before I took a wire wheel to the rusty spots. I'm probably going to roll some of that roll-on bed liner on the engine compartment side of the firewall after I clean this mess up. Does anyone know what the purpose of this hole is? (in the yellow circle).

yeti89.jpg

Here's a look at it from inside the tub. You can see that water has gotten in at the bottom and caused a lot of rust.

yeti90.jpg

Here's a quick patch job I did just to keep it from rusting anymore. I'll clean up that over spray and sand that area down again before I paint it.

yeti91.jpg

While I had the valve cover off, I decided to de-grease it and make it look clean. It's amazing what some engine degreaser, Dawn dishwashing detergent, and hot water will do. I had no idea that it would look this good. Looks like a brand new one. I'm happy with that.

yeti92.jpg

Looking at the area under the valve cover, it sure doesn't look like this engine has 160,000+ miles on it. The PO said the engine had never been out of it, nor was it ever rebuilt. I'm beginning to have my doubts. There should be some sludge in that area for that many miles, right?

yeti93.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? Sorry for the bad lighting. It's screwed into the exhaust manifold. Oxygen sensor maybe? Either way, mine's not hooked up. Adding that to the list of things that need to be fixed.

yeti94.jpg

Also, what is this contraption? Again, mine is not hooked up either. That green line goes nowhere. Anybody have a clue where those other ports should be connected to?

yeti95.jpg

I finally got my shock boots in so I decided to finish up the assembly of the lift kit in the rear end. I'm rather pleased with the quality of this Rubicon Express lift kit.

yeti96.jpg

Now this is something I haven't seen in a while, the beast has all four feet firmly planted on the ground. I'm liking the looks of this.

yeti97.jpg

Unread 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #114
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

The contraption is the charcol canister keeps the gas fumes out of the garage and air. The green line should go to the fuel tank I think one of the ports goes to the carb not sure about the others. Looks great !!!
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #115
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

You still going to be able to get it out of the garage?...lol
Valve cover looks great!...Lucky you don't have one of them leaky plastic ones...
I don't have that access cover on my Jeep...Maybe for AC lines?
Your Jeep is cleaning up nice!...
What size tires are you going to run?
Unread 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #116
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
The contraption is the charcol canister keeps the gas fumes out of the garage and air. The green line should go to the fuel tank I think one of the ports goes to the carb not sure about the others. Looks great !!!
Ahhhh, thanks for that. I'll make sure it's hooked back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyray2929 View Post
You still going to be able to get it out of the garage?...lol
Valve cover looks great!...Lucky you don't have one of them leaky plastic ones...
I don't have that access cover on my Jeep...Maybe for AC lines?
Your Jeep is cleaning up nice!...
What size tires are you going to run?
LOL. I don't know if I can get it out of the garage or not. I may have to take the top off or let some air out of the tires.

I plan on running 33 inch tires although I haven't decided about what size wheels yet. But I'm thinking it will be ATX 186 slots (chrome)...like these:

atx_186_chrome_1000.jpg

Unread 01-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #117
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Got some parts in the mail this past week. We had a very nice day up in the Big D and I capitalized on it and worked on the Yeti most of the day.

I'm getting ready to cut the new hole in the firewall for the new Blazer motor. But before I do that, I noticed that the seal around this hole had a big leak in it and it was rusting from both sides. So I took off the little metal plate, sanded the rust and paint off it, and repainted it. But not before I took a wire wheel to the rusty spots. I'm probably going to roll some of that roll-on bed liner on the engine compartment side of the firewall after I clean this mess up. Does anyone know what the purpose of this hole is?
Thats is where the A/C lines run into the cab for the drop down air. Most all later CJ7's had it and all YJ's as well. Usually if it didnt come with A/C, there was a plate and gasket there.
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #118
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES View Post
Thats is where the A/C lines run into the cab for the drop down air. Most all later CJ7's had it and all YJ's as well. Usually if it didnt come with A/C, there was a plate and gasket there.
Ah, that would explain a lot. The seal was definitely broken. I do plan on putting an A/C unit in this Jeep next summer (2014). Too many more important things to work on this year.

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #119
spward

1985 CJ7 

The charcoal canister from top to bottom based on a pic I saved:

Carb bowl
Fuel tank
PCV Valve
Distributor vacuum ( I think)

However, I am more than willing to research it tonight when I get home for you and see where they go.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #120
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's a sexy valve cover Jester. Jeeps looks good too, Bud.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.