Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #91
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

A shot of the other side. Yep, it's going to rub. Where's my hacksaw....sigh.

yeti61.jpg

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #92
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

I managed to get some work done on the Yeti today. It was 25 degrees outside in Tejas so nothing better to do than to get the lift kit finished. Texans don't do so well in the cold, or at least this one doesn't. I started by taking my shackles over to a friend's garage where he had a ban saw. He cut right through those long bolts in no time. I had them installed right after I got home. Here's a shot of the left shackle with one of Jim Crabtree's shackle hangers finally installed.

yeti62.jpg

Changing out the brake hose was no easy task. At first it felt like the two ends were welded together, but I eventually got the new on on there without too much trouble.

yeti63.jpg

Installing the right leaf spring in the right rear shackle.

yeti64.jpg

And a little grease on the main eye bushing...

yeti65.jpg

and they slide right in with no trouble.

yeti66.jpg

yeti67.jpg

yeti68.jpg

yeti69.jpg

I need to take some time and clean up all the stickers that came on the leaf springs and do a little touch up paint and I'll be G2G.

yeti70.jpg

Both rear sides are completed now. I'll pick up some shock boots tomorrow and get those installed. I will probably clean up the frame and shoot a coat of black on it to make it look somewhat descent. After I get the tires on it, I might not get it out of the garage!

yeti71.jpg

I did manage to order a good bit of new brake line material this morning from Jegs. I'll install new brake lines on the rear when the new material gets in. I also managed to swing by NAPA and pick up a new fuel pump (not that I needed it but...), a new heater core, 10ft of heater hose, and the Chevy Blazer motor upgrade. I'll be tackling that project as soon as the suspension is complete. It's a never ending list....ugh....

Unread 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #93
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

yeti72.jpg

Unread 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #94
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

For grade 5 & 8 bolts, you can try Tractor Supply. They have a decent selection.
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #95
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

Them bushings going to the frame look like they are to small...
Did they fit real snug?
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #96
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyray2929 View Post
Them bushings going to the frame look like they are to small...
Did they fit real snug?
Very snug. I had to hammer them in with a rubber mallet.

Unread 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #97
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

Great!...
They fit snug in the spring pack also?
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #98
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Yeppers. Snug everywhere. This suspension is tight!

Unread 01-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #99
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Doing the Chevy Blazer heater motor upgrade

First and foremost, I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder or document step by step how to do this. As a matter of fact, I'm giving all the props to rixcj for posting this "how to" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/). This is the thread that I used to upgrade mine as it was very informative. It should be a sticky on doing this upgrade.

Since I already had my dash off, I decided to do this as it would be easier without all that mess in my way. I'm getting ready to order a new dash from Double D Fabrication and install new Auto Meter gauges. This is a good time for this upgrade.

yeti73.jpg

I took out the computer. This thing is super dirty.

yeti74.jpg

The computer was a mess and had 25+ years of oil and grime on it. Most of that junk on it is oil. I do not know where that came from. I did not see any lines or leak around this area. Weird.

yeti75.jpg

yeti76.jpg

I pulled the heater hoses off and drained what anti-freeze that I could. I also bought new heater hoses and a new core from NAPA. Those will be going in as well. Also, there are four bolts that hold the heater assembly to the firewall. Three are super easy to find and remove (inside the yellow circles).

yeti77.jpg

The fourth one took some searching. I've been frustrated before, but not like this in a long while. The last bolt is hiding behind the valve cover on my 258. I thought I would NEVER get that last nut removed!

yeti78.jpg

Once it was gone, the whole heater assembly came right out. This thing is filthy, but I've seen a lot worse. It should clean up nicely.

yeti79.jpg

yeti80.jpg

The heater motor is obviously caked with years of dirt and grime. I'll be glad to get the new one installed.

yeti81.jpg

Some jackwagon had crimped one side of the outtake hose. It's no wonder I wasn't getting the proper amount of heat from the heater.

yeti82.jpg

Unread 01-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #100
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

I managed to get the large metal piece sanded down and shot with a fresh coat of paint last night before calling it a day. I'm happy the way it turned out. It's definitely rust free and clean now.

yeti83.jpg

yeti84.jpg

I just ordered new foam from McMaster-Carr. Dunno when that will get here. I'm also documenting this as I go, so it might take a little while to post everything.

Unread 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #101
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
Some jackwagon had crimped one side of the outtake hose. It's no wonder I wasn't getting the proper amount of heat from the heater.
Even uncrimped, you wouldn't be getting a lot of heat from the heater, CJ heaters just aren't that good... The Blazer blower motor upgrade, or one from a YJ will give you plenty more flow, a new heater core will just give you a lot more heat transfer... all in all, good job, just do these little bits while you have it all aparts as when it is all together and you hvae to rip it apart, you thought you were frustrated with one nut? You will be learning and screaming new words when you have to "re-do" it... we have all done it, and none of us like to admit it... A few bucks now will save you a whole lot of time and screaming later.

Craig

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #102
CJ7Madness
1984 CJ7 

Great build good luck.
CJ7Madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #103
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

re

very nice job, jester;
You have given to me a lot of informations, also the others contributors (DD dash for exemple)
thank you
jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #104
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
Even uncrimped, you wouldn't be getting a lot of heat from the heater, CJ heaters just aren't that good... The Blazer blower motor upgrade, or one from a YJ will give you plenty more flow, a new heater core will just give you a lot more heat transfer... all in all, good job, just do these little bits while you have it all aparts as when it is all together and you hvae to rip it apart, you thought you were frustrated with one nut? You will be learning and screaming new words when you have to "re-do" it... we have all done it, and none of us like to admit it... A few bucks now will save you a whole lot of time and screaming later.

Craig
X2^^^ Lots of info on the Blazer motor upgrade.

Also, were you going to Nutter your rig? I don't remember reading about it. If you do you can throw away your computer. Search Nutter.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #105
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Here's the question, if I Nutter it and remove all the junk that goes with the Nutter and I fail the emissions test, then what? Do over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.