Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #46
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Skerr,

I appreciate the info and you would be correct sir. The plug that I'm holding feeds the electrical components to the rear of the Jeep (turn signals, brake lights, etc.). I have discovered, since posting those pics, that the orange and black wires that have been snipped off are for the factory dome light (for hardtops). The problem now is trying to find a female version of that factory plug so I can connect the two wires together. If I can't find some female factory two-wire plugs, I have some other two-wire connectors that I can solder on each end for a new connection. Problem is, there is not much room for my fat self to work under the dash or enough wire sticking out from the back of the fuse panel to apply a new connector on that end (easily).

Quote:
Just because there is a plug doesn't mean something is disconnected.
I'm learning this the hard way. I was under the dash last night and noticed there were a couple of plugs that were not connected. Since this CJ-7 is a base model, I assume that some of these plugs are for items like cruise control, A/C controls, tachometer, etc.

On the cardboard and duct tape, there are more than a few tragedies that I'll eventually get around to fixing on the Yeti. I'll keep at it.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #47
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

I need professional help...

A few years ago I knew nothing about electronics. So to alleviate my frustration, I picked up the hobby of refurbishing and repairing old 1980s arcade video games (you know, Pacman, Donkey Kong, Asteroids, etc.). One thing I learned over the years about 30 year old electronics is they fail. Wires break, connectors crack, and shorts happen....I'm used to that aggravation.

While I was lying there under the Yeti's dash last night inspecting the soup of electrical wires, I accidentally "snapped" off one of the instrument panel indicator lamps. They were so brittle and old that it took no pressure to snap the rest of them off. So I ordered a new set of lamps. Half of the knobs I have are missing, so I ordered a new control cable kit for the heater, temp, and air. If there's one thing I love about this project is that you can buy just about anything new for a CJ-7.

While I have the dash ripped apart, I might as well do the Blazer blower motor upgrade so I'll have a real "working" defrost and heater (although it doesn't stay too cold in Texas for long).

I've been hating on my dash's instruments since I bought the Yeti and have been wanting to replace them with "better" gauges. I've never liked combo-gauges (speedo, water temp, fuel) anyway. Half of my gauges don't work (fuel, water temp, oil pressure). Instead of leaving well enough alone and just fixing what I have, I've decided that I'm going to build a custom dash layout with new Auto Meter gauges. I had planned on adding a clock and tachometer to this beast anyway, might as well just do it now and get it over with. I'm planning on replicating the indicator lamps from around the factory speedometer (bright, 4x4, etc.) with LEDs. Other than a straight jacket, you guys got any other ideas I should add to this dash while I'm in there?

I love a good challenge. Stay tuned kids, this drama is just getting ready to get kicked into four wheel low!

(I need therapy...)

Unread 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #48
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Man you got too much time! Pulled the dash to fix an indicator! I reckon you're just looking for excuses for a full tear down rebuild, why I've even heard that some folks even take the "frame off" in order to replace the slave cylinders in the rear! You get into it tiger, I'm lovin your thread......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #49
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Check these out:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd836.htm

I wish these had been out when I re-did my dash....
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #50
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES
Check these out:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd836.htm

I wish these had been out when I re-did my dash....
Impressive.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #51
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

And I bet those work ALL of the time!
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #52
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Man you got too much time! Pulled the dash to fix an indicator! I reckon you're just looking for excuses for a full tear down rebuild, why I've even heard that some folks even take the "frame off" in order to replace the slave cylinders in the rear! You get into it tiger, I'm lovin your thread......
HA! That's hilarious. I have a full time job (50+ hours per week), I go to school full time (16+ hours per semester), and a jeep addict. I'm drinking from a firehose!

REDnBLUES - I saw those and appreciate the tip, but I think I'm going to stick with Auto Meter as I have more options.

Jester

Unread 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

I hear you...I have the Autometer Phantoms myself
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #54
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
A few years ago I knew nothing about electronics. So to alleviate my frustration, I picked up the hobby of refurbishing and repairing old 1980s arcade video games (you know, Pacman, Donkey Kong, Asteroids, etc.). One thing I learned over the years about 30 year old electronics is they fail. Wires break, connectors crack, and shorts happen....I'm used to that aggravation.

While I was lying there under the Yeti's dash last night inspecting the soup of electrical wires, I accidentally "snapped" off one of the instrument panel indicator lamps. They were so brittle and old that it took no pressure to snap the rest of them off. So I ordered a new set of lamps. Half of the knobs I have are missing, so I ordered a new control cable kit for the heater, temp, and air. If there's one thing I love about this project is that you can buy just about anything new for a CJ-7.

While I have the dash ripped apart, I might as well do the Blazer blower motor upgrade so I'll have a real "working" defrost and heater (although it doesn't stay too cold in Texas for long).

I've been hating on my dash's instruments since I bought the Yeti and have been wanting to replace them with "better" gauges. I've never liked combo-gauges (speedo, water temp, fuel) anyway. Half of my gauges don't work (fuel, water temp, oil pressure). Instead of leaving well enough alone and just fixing what I have, I've decided that I'm going to build a custom dash layout with new Auto Meter gauges. I had planned on adding a clock and tachometer to this beast anyway, might as well just do it now and get it over with. I'm planning on replicating the indicator lamps from around the factory speedometer (bright, 4x4, etc.) with LEDs. Other than a straight jacket, you guys got any other ideas I should add to this dash while I'm in there?

I love a good challenge. Stay tuned kids, this drama is just getting ready to get kicked into four wheel low!

(I need therapy...)
MAW!!!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #55
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Possible New Dash Layout

Kicking this layout around. Any thoughts?

yetidash.jpg

Green LEDs = turn signals
Blue LED = high beam indicator
Amber LED = 4x4 mode
Red LED = Parking brake

I think I'm going with the Auto Meter Phantom II series (electronic with short sweep). Anybody see any issues with these gauges in a CJ-7?

Should have plenty of room to add rocker switches when I add some auxiliary items (fog lights, air compressor, etc.).

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #56
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Too busy... IMO. But if YOU like it, go for it. I would definitely angle the gauges, whatever you decide to do. A couple guys have some insight on what to use and how to do it (rixcj, for one). Besides making it easier to see, it adds a sporty, classy look.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #57
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

That dash panel that rixcj put together is absolutely sick! I wish I had access to some metal working tools that would allow me to build a dash like that. Having the gauges angled would definitely be a benefit.

Unread 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #58
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
That dash panel that rixcj put together is absolutely sick!.....
Link?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #59
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Here you go

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/im...-pics-1037163/

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #60
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Fresh in from the powder coaters. That tire carrier and all its pieces were covered in rust. Not anymore!

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

yeti52.jpg

yeti53.jpg

yeti54.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.