Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

I don't know about charmed, have you seen all the bolts I'm snapping off? I might have all of them replaced before it's all over with.

Welding is definitely funner! (Is that a word? It should be!)

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I didn't see a response, but did you correct the orintation of those front shims when you swapped the aluminum for the steel? Hate like hell for you to do all this work then put her in the ditch on the way to the alignment shop due to a horrible caster angle.

I'm jealous of your progress.......I haven't made near as much headway as I'd like in the past couple months.......or the past couple years for that matter. Hopefully the subpanel in the garage gets put in this week so I can use my compressor and welder again.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #33
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

I haven't swapped the orientation on the front shims yet, but I definitely will before I torque the bolts down. I moved the CJ out of the garage this weekend (about 25 feet) to clean the garage bay and noticed that the leaf spring plate on the left side was only ratchet tight. Renegade82 has convinced me to swap out the stock shackle hangers I have with the ones from Crabtree Tool and Die. So when I replace the shackle hangers, I'll swap the orientation on the shims.

My neighbor has a car trailer with a winch and has offered to load up the Yeti and take it to the alignment shop for me when I get back from my trip so I won't have to drive it over there (or in a ditch).

I don't have 220V in my garage (yet), so I'm jealous of you if you have that for your welder. I'm limited on what I can do with a 115V MIG welder.

Unread 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Just got back in town from being on the road for 2 1/2 weeks, feels good to be home.

Just ordered a set of shackle hangers from Crabtree Tool and Die. I can't wait to get those installed and get this suspension upgrade complete!

Unread 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Yeah Boi!

Off to the powder coater's tomorrow! Now my shackle hangers won't be the weakest part of my suspension. Quality products from Crabtree Tool and Die.

yeti33.jpg

yeti32.jpg

Unread 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Those look sweet been eyeing them as one of my upgrades for sure
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #37
spward

1985 CJ7 

Mine will be on in the summer

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Let there be parking lights!

Out with the old, cracked, faded, spliced, broken and rusty parking lights...

yeti34.jpg

yeti35.jpg

And in with the new.

yeti36.jpg

yeti37.jpg

Hey, I know it's boring, but I'm waiting on parts and the powder coater. I need something to work on.

Unread 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #39
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Looking good so far. As far as the T/C shifter.. Why not find a friend with Oxy/Acetylene torch set up, heat the baby up nice and red hot and bend it to the correct orientation so it doesn't hit the cover? Then repaint it.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

That's a good idea. But I think I'm going to remove it and take it back to Collin's Brothers and make them give me the correct one. Then I won't have to mess with cutting a new hole in a transmission cover.

Unread 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Electrical Issue

I have been working on the Jeep most of the afternoon. While I'm waiting on the powder coaters to complete the suspension, I took the liberty to stop by NAPA and pick up some parts to do a tune up on the 258 as I hate being idle. I picked up a distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, ignition coil, starter solenoid, spark plugs, and a set of spark plug wires.

yeti38.jpg

When I got all the parts home, I happened to notice where they all were made. How many of these products do you think was made in the USA? Actually, I was surprised that the majority of the items were made in the USA. I would have lost money on that bet. Here's where they all were made:

spark plug wires - Mexico
spark plugs - USA (good old Champion!)
solenoid - China
ignition coil - China
rotor - Mexico
distributor cap - USA
fuel filter - USA

I honestly would pay extra to buy products that were made in the USA. I found out the other day that some of my Craftsman wrenches were now being made in China. After I got over being pissed off, it made me sad. It is pathetic how much of the products we use on a daily basis are made in China. ...and the Chinese own most of the USA's debt.....oh don't get me started.

Unread 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #42
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

And now, we're in a rabbit hole....

The Yeti didn't come with any turn signals. I guess the PO decided that he didn't need any. I bought a new set from Crown a few weeks ago and decided to put them on before I did the tune-up as I figured it would be quick and painless. WRONG!

yeti39.jpg

The under side of the driver's fender.

yeti40.jpg

yeti41.jpg

But first I had to stop for some home made pizza. Very healthy...and gooooood!

yeti42.jpg

But, back to the turn signals troubleshooting....So I took off the headlights so I could get to the wires more easily.

yeti43.jpg

That's when I slipped in fell down the rabbit hole. I got the passenger side turn signal wired up and working pretty quickly. The driver's side was a different story. I couldn't get any juice to the turn signal wires coming from the firewall/fuse panel. So I decided to take the dash off so I could get to the fuse panel more easily.

But, I had to take the hard top off first to lay the windshield down to get to the screws that hold the dash pad on. For those of you that have never taken a dash pad off a CJ (like me), you'll never think to lay down the windshield to get to the four screws that are hidden (represented by the yellow arrows). After I laid the windshield down a bit, you can see that someone had placed some duct tape and cardboard over the holes that give you access to the windshield wiper arms (red arrows).

yeti44.jpg

I removed the headlight switch and noticed that there were three things under the dash that were not hooked up. I circled them with yellow circles. Does anyone know what the purpose of these wires/connectors are? The orange wire has 12V coming off it all the time (doesn't matter what position the headlight or ignition switch is in). The black one was dead. I have no idea on the group with the black connector.

yeti45.jpg

Here's a shot of the back side of the headlight switch plug.

yeti46.jpg

As I was trouble shooting the driver side turn signal (the driver's side rear turn signal works), I disconnected the harness that goes to the left rear. There were two other wires (orange and black) hanging out of that harness that I have no idea where they go. I believe they are for the rear dome light, even though they were not hooked up. The rear harness was plugged into a connector near the fuse panel as indicated by the white arrow. However, there was also another plug that was empty (not plugged into anything) near the fuse panel (the one with the yellow circle). Does anyone know what that connector plugs into?

yeti47.jpg

Any help getting me out of this rabbit hole would be greatly appreciated.

Jester

Unread 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #43
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

We have turn signals!

I know it doesn't look like much, but I spent the better part of two days trying to figure out why the left front turn signal would not work. I finally traced it down to a lose wire in the connector that connects to the fuse panel from the engine compartment firewall side. But now at least I have new working turn signals all around....which is nice.

The right side looks just like the left, just in reverse. While I was at it, I replaced the hood latches with new powder coated black ones (well, actually an entire hood kit).

yeti48.jpg

I also bought a roll of Painless' Powerbraid wire covering. I'm very pleased the way it turned out.

yeti49.jpg

As it turns out, I didn't need to remove the dash after all. However, after finding a few tragedies under there, I'm glad I did. Now waiting on a box from Morris 4x4 in order to button up the dash. After a new headlight switch, instrument lights, and I fix a couple of non-working gauges, I'll be G2G.

yeti50.jpg

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #44
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

The puzzle is unraveling.

I do believe that the wires in the green circles connect to each other (for the dome/courtesy lights). Unfortunately, someone has snipped off the female end of the connector. Does anyone know where you can get these connectors for a CJ-7?

yeti51.jpg

Unread 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Jester, without going back thru my notes, I believe the plug you are holding in the above pic is the plug for all the electrical components in the rear of the Jeep. Rear turn signals, reverse lights, fuel sender, brake lights, running lights, uhh uhh... that's all I can think of! Very possibly the two wires you're holding are for the factory dome light, but our Jeep didn't have a hard top, so I can't confirm. I do know that the Chiltons manual has a good wiring diagram that shows that plug, and that's how I discovered ours. I don't recall a dome light in the description.

The second pic is typical of all Jeeps in that wiring was in place for factory options that were never installed. Just because there is a plug doesn't mean something is disconnected. Again, the Chiltons shows that plug, but somebody may chime in with a "for sure" answer. Sorry I can't be more helpful. BTW- love the cardboard and duct tape! That's a first for me!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.