Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #286
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
I had been thinking about ya wondering where you were she's looking good.
School mostly (and some trips), but that's over with for the year. My goal is to get this finished before Christmas. I promised myself that I wouldn't watch another episode (after tonight) of The Walking Dead until it's complete.

That will motivate me!

Jester

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #287
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

LED Tail lights

Well, I finally completed the new rear wiring assembly. I built a new one (from the firewall back) that feeds the dome light, fuel sensor, brake lights, turn signals, hazard lights, reverse lights, and a good solid ground. I used some waterproof Tyco Electronics (TE) connectors, 16AWG stranded hookup wire, and Painless 1/2" power braid to tidy it all up.

yeti291.jpg

A three-position TE connector. Everything was crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk where applicable.
yeti292.jpg

I also ran an 8AWG OFC cable from the negative terminal on the battery to a terminal block located under the left wheel well to supply a good ground source to any accessories I hook up in the rear.
yeti293.jpg

Here's a shot of the cable that runs up under the gas tank that feeds the right tail light assembly.
yeti294.jpg

The left tail light with the Kentrol stainless license plate holder.
yeti295.jpg

I used Rugged Ridge LED Tail Lights from Quadratec. Also, the new gas tank and fuel sender (with accoutrements) is piled in those boxes in the back.....my next project.
yeti296.jpg

I also finally got around to putting the steering wheel back on.
yeti297.jpg

And the DD dash looks rally nice. It looks nicer in the dark with all the instruments lit up.
yeti298.jpg

And here's my little shame. He just came back from an operation and he has to wear the cone-of-shame for ten days. He's the sad dog...or at least he thinks he is.
yeti299.jpg

Unread 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #288
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

That looks really nice and clean. Nice work.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #289
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Great job love those connectors whats the link again for them. And boy he has grown lol
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #290
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

No problem. They're Tyco Electronics Superseal 1.5 series connectors. Depends on how many positions you want, depends on the part number. You can buy them at Mouser or Digikey. I'm personally a bigger fan of Mouser because they are located in Mansfield, TX and I can get order the next day (since I live so close).

Yes he is. He's close to 140lbs now.

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #291
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

[QUOTE="Jester77;19891465"]No problem. They're Tyco Electronics Superseal 1.5 series connectors. Depends on how many positions you want, depends on the part number. You can buy them at Mouser or Digikey. I'm personally a bigger fan of Mouser because they are located in Mansfield, TX and I can get order the next day (since I live so close).

Hmm. I hadn't thought of Mouser...and I drive past it every day. Are their parts decent quality?
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #292
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES View Post
Hmm. I hadn't thought of Mouser...and I drive past it every day. Are their parts decent quality?
They sell just about everything electronic. Top quality and very fair prices. Their selection is hard to beat.

Unread 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #293
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

Sweet. Thanks
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #294
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

Only slightly off topic but I can't resist. Yes Mouser sells quality merchandise and they have good customer service. At least they did in the early 70's when I worked for them in high school in California. Give 'em a wave for me as you drive by.
Bigmaaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #295
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaaty View Post
...Yes Mouser sells quality merchandise and they have good customer service...
As far as I'm concerned, they still do!

Unread 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #296
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Gas tank replacement

I am in the process of replacing the gas tank. Technically, it is the last thing I need to do to actually drive the Yeti out of the garage. My CJ came with a 20 gallon OEM tank. When I removed the old tank, I saved the old gas tank cover/skid plate as it completely encapsulated the old tank so I could reuse it with the new tank. Since you cannot get new direct replacement 20 gallon OEM tanks, I ordered a Omix-Ada 15 gallon plastic replacement tank. I had the old gas tank cover media blasted while I was waiting on Morris 4x4 to ship the new tank. Unfortunately, the new 15 gallon tank I ordered will not fit in the original gas tank cover (the tank is too tall). So I had to order a new skid plate with straps.

Here's what I ordered:

Gas Tank
Skid Plate
Driver side strap
Passenger side strap
Center strap
Fuel Sending Unit
Fuel Tank Sending Unit Brass Float

Here's a pic of the skid plate...
yeti291.jpg

The gas tank...
yeti292.jpg

The 5/16 brass fittings...
yeti293.jpg

yeti294.jpg

yeti295.jpg

Both side straps installed.
yeti296.jpg

Both the side straps were powder coated black and had smooth edges. However, the center strap was not powder coated and all of the edges were very sharp.
yeti298.jpg

Just as a precaution, I bought a 16" bicycle inner tube...
yeti297.jpg

Cut it to fit the center strap...
yeti299.jpg

And everything else fit together nicely.
yeti300.jpg

Of course I used a stainless steel flat washer, lock washer, and nylox nut for each bolt for good measure.

Unread 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #297
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Gas tank replacement (cont.)

I snugged everything up...
yeti301.jpg

And dry fitted the hoses.
yeti302.jpg

yeti303.jpg

Just waiting on the brass float for the sending unit to get here and I will install everything completely.

Unread 02-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #298
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Always perfect looking good.
Start on mine when I get off will have parts waiting to build the engine.
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #299
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Beautiful day here today. I started back on the fuel tank to get the sending unit mounted. You can see the area in the yellow circle where I took the Dremel and routed out a slot for the tab on the sending unit. It worked like a champ. I held the shop vac over the hole while I used the Dremel to ensure no plastic particles fell down into the tank.
yeti304.jpg

The sending unit I ordered came with a plastic float. I ordered a new brass one off eBay and installed it. The little plastic shaft that came with the fuel filter that fits down in the tank broke as I was installing it. Probably a cheap Chinese part. I improvised and bent the wire mesh around the top to secure it and crimped the end to ensure the mesh would filter any larger particles that ever get inside the tank. Worked like a champ.
yeti305.jpg

I inserted the sending unit...
yeti306.jpg

...and it fit flush like a glove.
yeti307.jpg

I put a zip tie on the feed line to remind me which fuel line to hook up. The sending unit installed nicely.
yeti308.jpg

I wasn't happy with the small-size screws that held the filler neck to the filler neck housing. So I went to the hardware store and bought some stainless 10-24 allen head screws and nylox nuts. But I had to drill out the holes first.
yeti309.jpg

That came together like a champ. My old filler neck housing was dry-rotted and cracked so I ordered a new one from Morris 4x4 and installed it. The part number is 5463803. That's much better than it came from the factory.
yeti310.jpg

Before I install the fuel tank, I figure I will remove the differential cover and clean it up. Might as well take care of this while the tank is off. Not sure if you can see some of the orange RTV that's in some of the holes but the PO used it to make a gasket to seal the cover. What a joke. I ordered a new gasket tonight from NAPA online and I'll pick it up tomorrow.
yeti311.jpg

I cleaned up the differential cover with a wire wheel and a wire brush on a drill, then gave it a bath in Dawn dish washing detergent to remove all the grease before paint.
yeti312.jpg

I'm surprised that the gears weren't chewed up or missing any teeth. That would be my luck so far. I checked the lubricant that I drained for metal shavings but didn't feel any with my fingers. I'll wipe out the differential tomorrow and clean the area around the cover with a wire brush before I install the cover. I may shoot a coat of black paint on the axle housing just to clean it up a bit. More pics to follow...
yeti313.jpg

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #300
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

I pulled my fuel sender recently...still out in fact, and it has a brass float. Thing was full of fuel. You may want to consider a secondary solder application to your new brass float. Plastic or brass: neither seem to have a good track record.

The float has been out for a couple of weeks and still seems about 3/4ths full. I wrapped in a paper towel with no sign of drainage? Not sure how to safely drain the booger.

Good Luck with your install. Have enjoyed reading about your progress.

Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.