Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

In for the Yeti build! Nice work Jester.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Also, on the shock mounts, I've seen people drill a small hole near the bottom to let water out and help prevent that rust you just cleaned up...
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.

Jester

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you're doing an awesome job!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

What's wrong with this picture?

Ok, I have something wrong. When I bought this Jeep, both the shifter's threads were broken off, so I installed new shift levers. I also took the transmission shift cover off, sanded it down, and painted it with appliance enamel. I haven't changed the configuration of the holes or anything. When I went to test fit the transmission shift cover, it's too far back. In the below picture, I have the transfer case shifter in 4WL (far back position). I can't get the transmission shift cover back where it is supposed to go because the transfer case shifter is too far back. Could I have the shifter installed backwards or something?

Any help appreciated.

Jester

yeti19.jpg

Oh, and ya'll come on over and have one.

cups.jpg

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Are the new shafts the same size/configuration as the originals? I know it's after-the-fact, but I would send your shift levers back. Weld a new bolt (minus the head) to the top of your original shifters. Grind. Paint. Good to go.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ummm... Happy Birthday??

Unread 11-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

The shifters are the same as the originals, exactly. I checked them before I swapped them out. Don't you think it would be easier to buy a new transmission shifter cover without any holes and cut new ones?

Ha...no. Going to a party.

Unread 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I think the better question is, why were the broken off to begin with... if you had an accident or something, could the whole tub be shifted?

If it wasn't in an accident, is this the original cover? There are different configurations of holes for different combinations, if you bought one or someone else bought it, then it might be the wrong one.

Craig

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #24
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jester,

Is it possible the engine and drivetrain shifted on you? Did you drop the skid plate at any point?

If the shift levers are exactly the same, there's no other reason why the cover wouldn't fit.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Also, now that I think of it, did you get the right lever? A Dana 300 vs. a Dana 20 lever? If you got the wrong one, that could be an issue too.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I didn't go back and re-read the first 5 pages, but did you add a body lift (or did it already have one)? That can result in what you're seeing as well.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

The wrong shifter

Been working on the Jeep all day and I finally washed off enough that I can touch the computer keyboard.

I figured out the shifter dilemma. I bought this new shifter from Collin's Brothers Jeep in Wiley, TX. I had pulled my old transfer case shifter off a couple of weeks ago and stopped by there on the way home from work. The guy didn't have any on the shelf so they went out back and pulled one off a parts Jeep. I didn't really pay any attention when he brought it out. I've been searching online and around for one of these for a while and I was a little excited to get one with the threads still on it. I quickly compared it to the old shifter and a cursory look made me believe it was the right one. Apparently, it wasn't. The hole and the end on both shifters are identical. However, the canter or the way the rest of the shifter comes off the mount point (hole) is more back on this new one than my old one. I honestly wouldn't know the difference between a Dana 300 shifter and a Dana 20. But this new one sits back in the transmission shifter cover hole more than the old one did.

This one does work though. I drove the Jeep around a little today (before I ripped the rear end out of it) and shifted into 4WL, 2WD, N, and 4WH with no issues (minus the tranmission shifter cover of course. So I have a decision to make.

1 - Keep this shifter and buy a new transmission shifter cover and cut a new hole
2 - Take this shifter off and take it back to Collin's Brothers and get the right one.

What do you folks think? I'm leaning towards option 2.

FYI, I had replaced both of these shifters because when I bought the Jeep, the threaded part was broken off on each one. Just wanted to make them right. Also, I didn't add a body lift, just the suspension lift and I haven't dropped the skid plate yet. But I was under there today and that's another project I'm going to tackle in the future.

Jester

Unread 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Replacing the rear end suspension lift (part 1)

It was a beautiful day in the Big D today and it gave me an opportunity to work on the Yeti. I'm getting ready to go on a business trip for a couple of weeks and I wanted to get the rear end done on the CJ-7 before I left, but I just ran out of time. So I at least wanted to get it ripped off before I left. That way, when I get back, I can just bolt everything up and start driving it. I'm such an optimist!

Frame supported on jack stands and rear wheels removed. Where's my impact wrench?

yeti20.jpg

The red dot is the rubber bump stop that is completely dry rotted. I'll replace it to match the front. That shock has been on there for a very long time. It's going to be difficult to remove. Years of road grime is completely caked on it.

yeti21.jpg

This is an awkward position, but it's coming off.

yeti22.jpg

I have no reason to believe differently that this shock has been on this Jeep since 1985. When I took it off, I couldn't get the piston to compress or expand. It is completely shot.

yeti23.jpg

With the shock off and the spring plate removed, the leaf springs were finally free. Now to get the leaf springs off. Check out my coat hanger wrapping on that leaf spring. No, I did not do that...leftover from the PO.

yeti24.jpg

Left rear shackle hangar removal. SNAP goes the first bolt!

yeti25.jpg

...and SNAP goes the second bolt!

I DID NOT want to have to drill out any more bolts on this Jeep. Apparently what I get and what I want are two different things. Frustrated, I'm about ready to give up for the day at this point. But I keep on going...

yeti26.jpg

Right rear shackle hanger removal....and the bolts come right out...but they made a hideous creeeeeeking sound!

yeti27.jpg

Finally got that pesky bumper off. This poor CJ has been completely neglected. Laying underneath this beast and looking up, there is a lot of work I want to do under there. I'll probably pull the gas tank off it and fix some atrocities under there that I saw today and need to be corrected. But I'll save those for a rainy day when I have less gas in the tank.

Somebody had bent the areas inside the red circles pretty badly. It's going to take some patience and a lot of work to get all that mess straightened out.

yeti28.jpg

Inspecting the contents of the bumper.....I find this. This nest must have been in there for a long time. It had three bird's eggs in it, two were intact.

yeti29.jpg

Unread 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Subscribed keep up the good work
roboto65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

First time for me and a bird's nest! I think you should get some kind of award, or a plaque, or something! And intact eggs?? C'mon... what's the chances? Obviously, your Jeep is charmed. I think you should cover it up and park it in the corner of your garage, giving it back to the earth goddess. Maybe sprinkle some parts in the front yard to keep her happy. You never know. Watch out for random bolts of lightning!

There is a lot to be said for driving a Jeep. After working on them for awhile one gets to the point that they just want to drive it. If you are happy with your new shifter, then make a new tunnel cover. If you want to keep the original shifter then weld on a new bolt. Either way, you have to make something! Which one do you want to make the most?
img_4902_1.jpg   img_4896_1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.