Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #271
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakescj7 View Post
That looks great. I've been looking for something to coat my tub in. Looks like I may have found it
Thanks. I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. Maybe it was still wet, but when I pulled some of the tape off, part of the liner came off with it (very small section). It had been sitting for at least two hours with two big fans blowing on it. I'm hoping that it just wasn't cured enough. I'm anxious to see how it holds up to wear and tear (foot traffic). Also, if I ever do this again, I won't do it in September in Texas. It's just too hot. I'll wait until the temps are down in the 80s and not the 100s. Near the end, it was almost like molasses when I was applying it.

[I]"4 wheeling past the third standard deviation from the mean."[/I]
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #272
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I know with any bed liner, it is all about prep.
If you followed the directions EXACTLY as it says on the product, you should be all set.

I know there are rules about surface prep, cleanliness, humidity, temperature, etc. on some of the other ones. I have never used this product, but I imagine it had directions as to what to do.

Good luck.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #273
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got to your thread after seeing it on the main page. Nice work. I use to have a 82 CJ5 that I wish I had kept.

You could have gotten the quart of Chassis Saver for free, you have to put the code in when ordering. The expiration date for the promo says it expired, but you can still get it, I don't know why Magnetman doesn't change the date.
If you order another a gallon get the silver Chassis Saver, it is the best to apply the Monstraliner over.
I did my tub with the tintable liner back in the spring. You can see pictures in my build thread. I will never do another Monstraliner job in my garage, it smelled the house up for 3 days.
When you get your CJ back together you should check out the Lone Star Jeep Club. It's a great group of people that's alot of fun to go on runs with.

Here is the forum home page for the club.
http://www.lsjc.org/board/forum.php
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #274
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
I got to your thread after seeing it on the main page. Nice work.

You could have gotten the quart of Chassis Saver for free, you have to put the code in when ordering.

I will never do another Monstraliner job in my garage, it smelled the house up for 3 days.

When you get your CJ back together you should check out the Lone Star Jeep Club. It's a great group of people that's alot of fun to go on runs with.
Thank you sir.

I'll have to buy another gallon, so I'll put in the code to get the chassis saver. Thanks for the tip.

I concur, the smell is horrid.

I will check out the Lone Star Jeep Club. Thanks for the link.

Unread 09-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #275
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post

Thanks. I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. Maybe it was still wet, but when I pulled some of the tape off, part of the liner came off with it (very small section). It had been sitting for at least two hours with two big fans blowing on it. I'm hoping that it just wasn't cured enough. I'm anxious to see how it holds up to wear and tear (foot traffic). Also, if I ever do this again, I won't do it in September in Texas. It's just too hot. I'll wait until the temps are down in the 80s and not the 100s. Near the end, it was almost like molasses when I was applying it.
Did you use a self etching primer?
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #276
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It will take awhile for the smell to go away.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #277
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakescj7 View Post
Did you use a self etching primer?
This is what I used, Rustoleum Professional Primer.

Unread 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #278
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's your plan for the exterior paint? I sprayed my CJ in my garage.
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #279
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
What's your plan for the exterior paint? I sprayed my CJ in my garage.
Well, to be honest, I haven't thought much about painting the exterior at all. At least not right away. I know I'm going to get a lot of looks driving down the road with half primer and half paint on a tricked out rig, but who cares. I want to drive this jeep through the woods and not have to worry about scratching it up. I am building this jeep to get muddy and dirty as much as possible. I just don't want to care about a nice paint job.

When I initially bought it, I had a couple of body shops quote it and ranged from $2000 - $8000. Definitely not interested in that at all. Then I thought about getting a cheap Maaco or Earl Scheib's job shot on it. Then I thought, why spend the money. If I ever get a itch to make the outside a nice color, I'll probably mask off the garage and do it myself.

Unread 09-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #280
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77
I want to drive this jeep through the woods and not have to worry about scratching it up. I am building this jeep to get muddy and dirty as much as possible. I just don't want to care about a nice paint job.
I was the same so I just bought a foam roller and high heat satin black rustoleum paint and applied it with minor masking. No sanding of the finish coat, only for prep. Easy and went on quick. Get many compliments. Looks like a smoother bed liner and has been holding up great in the Texas sun for the past year. Any significant scratches and I just re-roll that area and it blends right in. It'd be easy to change the color when I get bored with it.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #281
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When my paint gets bad enough I will spray it with Monstraliner. I have been a painter for 28 years. I really like this coating and I have sprayed about every type of coating there is. It cleans up great and cures very hard. If you decide to do it yourself I can help you for the price of beer.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #282
spward

1985 CJ7 

The 2nd coat on my CJ is an Earl Scheib $99 special and while not that bad of a paint job, prep work was almost non-existent as evident of plenty of overspray and no masking. You could probably do yours, but I will take mine to get shot professionally since the tub is not on the frame.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #283
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spward View Post
The 2nd coat on my CJ is an Earl Scheib $99 special and while not that bad of a paint job, prep work was almost non-existent as evident of plenty of overspray and no masking. You could probably do yours, but I will take mine to get shot professionally since the tub is not on the frame.
Yes, if I was doing a frame off restoration, I'd have the tub shot professionally as well. But until I eventually get around to doing that with this CJ, I'll live with what I got, shoot it myself, or spend the $99 to let Earl shoot it.

I'll probably just drive it around and not worry about the paint for now. I'm more interested in painting it with mud.
(if it would ever rain...)

Unread 11-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #284
Jester77
1985 CJ7 

Thanksgiving Upgrades

Well, I've been absent for a while now. Just got back from seeing some sights abroad and am in need of working on my Jeep. Doesn't look like much but this is what I've accomplished over the past two days.

I installed three new grounding blocks at three different strategic points within the Jeep so I can have a good ground no matter what I put in it accessory wise. The first one is near the battery...
yeti281.jpg

Number two is inside the firewall near the heater assembly...
yeti282.jpg

And number three is under the left (driver's) fender well at the back near where the tail light is mounted (near where the roll over valve is). This is a shot looking up from the ground.
yeti283.jpg

Next I needed to install the seat brackets and seats so I would know how much spacing I have between the seats in order to purchase the correct width Tuffy security console. But first I needed to clear out the holes where I rolled the Monstaliner on.
yeti284.jpg

If you use the Corbeau A4 seats in a CJ-7, you have to purchase the seat brackets to go with it. My jeep needed the D124T (driver) and D125T (passenger) brackets.
yeti285.jpg

These jokers were a bit of a pain to install because the holes didn't line up exactly as they should. But, nothing a rubber mallet couldn't handle. I beat them into submission, and everything got a fresh set of Grade 8 bolts.
yeti286.jpg

The semi-finished product. Now I'm just waiting on the seat belt harnesses to come in so I can install them. I opted for the 3" 5-point harness belts with the camlock on them.
yeti287.jpg

And...the better part of the day was spent removing the old bolts for the body bushings. I spent almost $60 in various nuts and bolts today at Ace Hardware. Once we got the old bolts removed (had to cut the one out from under the drivers seat), we were off to the races. This is a real crappy picture but the Yeti got 11 new polyurethane body bushings, all with Grade 8 bolts and washers. I had to reuse the two washers for the bushings just behind the front tires as Ace didn't have that size of washer. But a quick trip to the wire wheel station in the garage and they looked good as new.
yeti288.jpg

And last but not least, the rear bumper was finally mounted.
yeti289.jpg

This was a major pain, but it will look good after I clean it up.
yeti290.jpg

Now I'm tired and it's time to grab something to eat and clean up. Lots of new parts arriving in the next few days. Oh, I almost forgot, I built a new wiring harness that goes from the firewall to the tail lights. I'll post some pics of that when I get it 100% completed (need to add a few connectors to finish it up). It's good to be back.

Jester

Unread 12-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #285
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

I had been thinking about ya wondering where you were she's looking good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.