Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jester's "Texas Yeti" 1985 CJ7 Redo

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #181
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Engine Tune Up

It's been a very busy day. I started the day off by taking my radiator over to Centennial Radiator in Dallas (off Mockingbird) to have it acid dipped, cleaned, checked for leaks, and painted. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow. We'll see.

Finally got the new fender in and sprayed the bed liner on the engine compartment side and the wheel well side. It's ready to install. But I think I'll give the beast a tune up before I do that. It will be easier to get to the right side of the engine with the fender off.
yeti173.jpg

This oxygen sensor has seen better days. I have one on order and will be here at the end of the week.
yeti174.jpg

So has this alternator, obviously the original equipment. I don't even know if it works or not. It's going bye bye.
yeti175.jpg

Alternator bracket, horn, and fender brace all need to be wire brushed down and painted.
yeti176.jpg

New 73 amp alternator and freshly painted bracket and new bolts. Why are half these bolts metric and the others SAE?
yeti177.jpg

All original equipment. I bet there is more spark in a dead AA battery than that coil. It's gotta go.
yeti178.jpg

Nasty man, nasty.
yeti179.jpg

From cylinder # 6. I think these spark plugs have been in this vehicle since 1985. I seriously would not doubt it. I can't believe this thing used to crank.
yeti180.jpg

I don't know what that orange goop is, but it's not RTV. The PO definitely used it sparingly around this jeep as I have seen it before in the weirdest places. That's got to be cleaned up.
yeti181.jpg

I decided to take the fan off and respray it with a gloss. I think it looks much better than before.
yeti182.jpg

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #182
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Engine Tune Up (part 2)

A shot with the fender installed. Here's what I did today:

1 - installed new Oil Pressure sending unit
2 - installed new Oil Pressure Light Switch
3 - installed new Accel Coil
4 - installed new Distributor cap and rotor (I need to put a complete new distributor in this)
5 - installed new fuel pump and fuel line
6 - installed new spark plugs (Champion Copper)
7 - installed new spark plug wires
8 - installed new 73 amp Alternator
9 - installed new Solenoid
10 - installed new Battery cables
11 - wire brushed the right side of the motor and cleaned that up
12 - took all the brackets off the right side, sanded and painted them, reinstalled
13 - removed the fan, sanded it, painted it gloss black.
14 - sprayed the bed liner on the fender and installed it.
yeti183.jpg

When I finally come in to get cleaned up, I opened the door and found this. Now I'm excited all over again. My GPS speedometer unit is in that box along with my brake line bending/cutting/flaring tools, and 1/2 box full of Painless Powerbraid. I'll clean that wiring harness up yet.
yeti184.jpg

That's enough for one day, I'm tired. Until tomorrow boys and girls...

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #183
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
A shot with the fender installed. Here's what I did today:

1 - installed new Oil Pressure sending unit
2 - installed new Oil Pressure Light Switch
3 - installed new Accel Coil
4 - installed new Distributor cap and rotor (I need to put a complete new distributor in this)
5 - installed new fuel pump and fuel line
6 - installed new spark plugs (Champion Copper)
7 - installed new spark plug wires
8 - installed new 73 amp Alternator
9 - installed new Solenoid
10 - installed new Battery cables
11 - wire brushed the right side of the motor and cleaned that up
12 - took all the brackets off the right side, sanded and painted them, reinstalled
13 - removed the fan, sanded it, painted it gloss black.
14 - sprayed the bed liner on the fender and installed it.
Attachment 594633

When I finally come in to get cleaned up, I opened the door and found this. Now I'm excited all over again. My GPS speedometer unit is in that box along with my brake line bending/cutting/flaring tools, and 1/2 box full of Painless Powerbraid. I'll clean that wiring harness up yet.
Attachment 594634

That's enough for one day, I'm tired. Until tomorrow boys and girls...
You have been busy today... keep up the great work.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #184
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

Awsome work Jester! You are inspiring me to get after mine too.
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #185
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

You are coming right along she is looking great that fender turned out awesome got mine in my garage last night oh you have a PM.
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #186
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

Unread 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #187
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Saving for a rainy day

Was planning on working on the Yeti today, but I didn't lift a finger. I took a mental day and did nothing but watch movies and relax.....oh and got the Highlander serviced. However, I managed to get a set of brake caliper brackets for the disk brake upgrade for the rear on order from BESRK. They came in today and I will put these on the shelf and save that project for a rainy day. The quality is top notch! Contemplating on which color to powder coat them....any ideas?

yeti185.jpg

Unread 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #188
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

While I'm waiting on a choke...

I'm waiting on an electric choke to come in the mail for the new Motorcraft 2150 carb I'm getting ready to put on the Yeti. Mine got damaged during shipping. So while I'm waiting, I ordered a new Pro Comp Jeep Crawler front bumper with D-rings for the beast. Real heavy duty. Got a good price on it I though. Looks good. I'm very pleased.

yeti186.jpg

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #189
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Let us know how the Motorcraft carb turns out.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #190
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

EGR Valve and additional sensors

Well, the electric choke came in, but it was real rainy and cold today and I got a bit lazy. I did not put the new carb on the Yeti yet, but I probably will tomorrow, or at least swap out the choke. However, I did manage to get my new EGR valve in the mail and got it installed. I also changed out the coolant temperature switch and installed a new oxygen sensor. I also managed to stop by Fry's and buy about a mile of heat shrink for properly making the hacks in the wiring harness right. I also cleaned the port on the manifold with a wire brush on a drill where the old EGR valve went. So that's clean and tidy.
yeti187.jpg

The old EGR valve has definitely seen better days. Sorry that pic is a little blurry.
yeti188.jpg

Here's a shot at the new coolant temperature sensor, oxygen sensor, EGR valve, and I have no idea what that unknown sensor is in the yellow circle. I just noticed it today. I guess I'll have to dig and find out what it is. I can tell you this, I am sick of all the sensors on this beast!
yeti189.jpg

I know, I know, I know half of you are going to say I do not even need an EGR valve if I Nutter this thing (or at least I think you will). But as Si Robertson says, "Hey, lookie here Jack! I am the Michael Jordan of making things new!"
si.jpg

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #191
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

In the 3rd pic above, it looks like the thermal switch has a hose going to the manifold vacuum fitting (where the brake booster vac line connects). I had always thought the thermal switch was supposed to connect to ported vacuum, not manifold vac. I could be totally wrong, however!
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #192
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
In the 3rd pic above, it looks like the thermal switch has a hose going to the manifold vacuum fitting (where the brake booster vac line connects). I had always thought the thermal switch was supposed to connect to ported vacuum, not manifold vac. I could be totally wrong, however!
You are probably more than correct sir. I plan on completely redoing the vacuum lines when I put the new carb on. I literally trust nothing when it comes to wiring or vacuum lines on this jeep. It is a wonder it ran at all. Of course, I haven't tried to crank it since I replaced just about everything on the engine. I'm betting it won't run at all.

But I'll whip it into shape eventually...

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #193
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

My new 3-month old baby

I have not been able to post much in the last week or so, my hands have kinda been full. There is a new addition to my house. He's a 3-month old Mantle Great Dane puppy. His father was over 200 lbs and he is over 40 at 3 months.

I named him Silas (or Si for short). I could not have asked for a better dog. I cannot wait to put him in the Jeep this summer. He is definitely a good conversation piece!

si1.jpg

si2.jpg

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #194
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Wow nice Dane I get off next Tuesday and have the garage all cleaned up ready to get started on mine well get to working anyway the bumper looks great also.
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #195
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

Welcome to the Jeep family Si! What a fine looking young fella. I had a Harlequin GD once. Pinky was her name. Had the cutest pink lips and skin. Sure miss her. Silas will make you a great friend.
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.