It was a beautiful day in the Big D today and it gave me an opportunity to work on the Yeti. I'm getting ready to go on a business trip for a couple of weeks and I wanted to get the rear end done on the CJ-7 before I left, but I just ran out of time. So I at least wanted to get it ripped off before I left. That way, when I get back, I can just bolt everything up and start driving it. I'm such an optimist!
Frame supported on jack stands and rear wheels removed. Where's my impact wrench?
The red dot is the rubber bump stop that is completely dry rotted. I'll replace it to match the front. That shock has been on there for a very long time. It's going to be difficult to remove. Years of road grime is completely caked on it.
This is an awkward position, but it's coming off.
I have no reason to believe differently that this shock has been on this Jeep since 1985. When I took it off, I couldn't get the piston to compress or expand. It is completely shot.
With the shock off and the spring plate removed, the leaf springs were finally free. Now to get the leaf springs off. Check out my coat hanger wrapping on that leaf spring. No, I did not do that...leftover from the PO.
Left rear shackle hangar removal. SNAP goes the first bolt!
...and SNAP goes the second bolt!
I DID NOT want to have to drill out any more bolts on this Jeep. Apparently what I get and what I want are two different things. Frustrated, I'm about ready to give up for the day at this point. But I keep on going...
Right rear shackle hanger removal....and the bolts come right out...but they made a hideous creeeeeeking sound!
Finally got that pesky bumper off. This poor CJ has been completely neglected. Laying underneath this beast and looking up, there is a lot of work I want to do under there. I'll probably pull the gas tank off it and fix some atrocities under there that I saw today and need to be corrected. But I'll save those for a rainy day when I have less gas in the tank.
Somebody had bent the areas inside the red circles pretty badly. It's going to take some patience and a lot of work to get all that mess straightened out.
Inspecting the contents of the bumper.....I find this. This nest must have been in there for a long time. It had three bird's eggs in it, two were intact.