Jeff's Offroad CJ8 Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeff's Offroad CJ8 Build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

I don't have any new pics yet since the chassis is still at the shop but I did order some new parts. Once we got the new yokes installed there was a lot of slop in the yoke so I decided to go ahead and rebuild it all and get new gears and lockers while in there.

USA Standard 5.38 thick gears for the 14 bolt
New carrier for the thick gears (reusing the detroit locker though)
Yukon master overhaul kit

USA Standard 5.38 gears for the dana 60
Yukon master overhaul kit
ARB air locker

I was initially planning on running with the 4.56 gears for awhile but they really needed to be overhauled. That pretty much blew through my Atlas savings, time to ask for a raise

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #47
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Long awaited update...

Hey guys, it has been a while since I posted so here's an update for anyone interested. I got the frame and axles back with the 5.38 gears and ARB locker in the Dana 60. I figured mounting the drivetrain would be my next task.

I've had my rebuilt AMC 360 sitting on the engine stand for over a year so I wanted to finally get it mounted. Round 1:

We had the passenger mount bolted up but the driver side was a little off.

After consulting the local 4x4 shop, it turns out the CJ frames tend to expand when no engine is mounted. All we had to do was use a come-along and squeeze the frame a little bit to get the mount lined up. Round 2:

Here's the passenger side again:

Before I could work on the transmission mounting I had to get some replacement parts:

Next I drained the torque converter, refilled it with a quart of new fluid, and twisted it in place:

I also bought a new transmission pan with a drain plug and replaced the filter, pan gasket, and front pump seal.

That's all I had time to do but hopefully this weekend I can get the tranny mounted.

I also purchased an Atlas 4-speed transfer case that should arrive in the next couple weeks.

I will also purchase custom drive shafts when the t-case arrives to complete the drivetrain. Next will be brake lines, fuel lines, gas tank, and engine/tranny accessories as time and money permits!
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #48
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Transmission mounted

Here are a few pics of the transmission being mounted. I mostly followed the manual so nothing too exciting here:

First step was mounting the flexplate on the crankshaft. The manual I have refers to the flexplate as the driveplate:

The bolts were torqued to 105 ft-lbs in three stages, 35, 70, and 105. I also used red Loctite on the threads. Notice the reinforcing ring between the bolts and flexplate. From my research, this helps distribute the force applied to the bolts from the crankshaft which helps prevent flexplate damage.

Next comes the actual transmission mounting, it took me a few tries to get it level since the transmission jack plate can be angled differently:

Before mounting the transmission, I lined up the bolt hole I marked (stamped circle in the picture of the torque converter above) with the mark on the flexplate (the three holes on the flexplate). A lot of people mark with spray paint too. This greatly improves the next step because the torque convert to flexplate mounts only line up one way.

The manual lists the torque spec for the bellhousing to engine bolts at 28 ft-lbs.

Bolting the flexplate to the torque converter:

The thing to remember on this step is not to tighten the first few bolts because it will cause the last few to not line up correctly. After they are all hand-tightened, rotate around to each one to torque it down. My manual lists the torque spec as 22 ft-lbs.

Now bolt on the inspection cover:

My bolt kit only included two bolts for the inspection cover so I'll need to dig up some spares for the other two holes.

Later I will install the new shifter and cooler lines. The factory skidplate is not lining up properly with the holes in my frame but I'll probably just have a custom one made at a later time. For now I've got a chain holding up the backend of the transmission.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #49
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Updates

The Atlas t-case is still not here so I've been trying to decide what to do next.

I purchased a Lokar automatic shifter kit. Here are some pics of the install:

The instructions say to attach the three brackets to the main plate first, but I found it easier to install the brackets on the tranny and then attach the main plate.

The driver side bracket attaches to the front band adjuster, secured by the lockout nut:

The passenger side bracket attaches to two bolts (supplied by the kit) that go through the tranny pan:

I found it very helpful to use lubricant, WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, etc... on these two bolts because the normal tranny pan bolts don't thread all the way through like these do.

The rear bracket attaches to the tail housing. I didn't get a picture of this but I had to grind the case a little to get the bracket to fit. Here is the main plate attached to all three brackets:

Here are some shots of the main plate installed:

I have the kit's linkage arm installed as seen in the pics above but I have yet to finish installing everything since I need to get the body on to make sure the shifter arm doesn't hit anything. I'll post the finished product when I get it done but it will probably be after the t-case is installed.

I also got a few other new items. Power steering lines:

Transmission cooler to help out with the life of the auto tranny:

HD steering box bracket from M.O.R.E.:

I really like the M.O.R.E. engine mounts so I figured this would be another good item to have. Their stuff isn't cheap but it is very good quality.

And the new Affordable Fuel Injection kit:

There is another small box with some of the sensors, fuel filter, electric fuel pump, and cd with installation documentation. I'm really looking forward to getting this installed

I went ahead and mounted the body since I'll be taking the jeep back into the shop for brake lines, fuel lines, drive shafts, and rear-pinion angle setting when the atlas arrives.

This things sits high with SOA, can't wait to see it with 40s
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #50
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

wow great read, just made it through the hole thread and must say you've done a amazing job so far!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #51
jryan09
1978 CJ5 

Awesome build! What gear sets did you go with in the Atlas 4?
jryan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
wow great read, just made it through the hole thread and must say you've done a amazing job so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan09 View Post
Awesome build! What gear sets did you go with in the Atlas 4?
Thanks, guys! This is the first major automotive work I've ever done so thanks to all the other forum members as well. There's a lot of valuable info on the forums

I can't remember exactly which gear ratio I went with but it was either 2.72:1, 3.0:1, & 8:16:1 or 2.72:1, 3.8:1, & 10.34:1. I didn't want to go too tall with the power/torque of the amc360. Plus I have 5.38s in the axles.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #53
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Man, Really Cool, So jealous, Wish I had your wallet. You have fine taste
Hmm, Should I get an Atlas, or a Challenger today?''' Ahh '' Both!
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
Man, Really Cool, So jealous, Wish I had your wallet. You have fine taste
Hmm, Should I get an Atlas, or a Challenger today?''' Ahh '' Both!
The advantages of being single and in a technical career
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #55
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

I had planned on installing the M.O.R.E. steering bracket tonight but ran into a small issue. The three threaded holes on the driver side frame rail are not there!

I'm guessing the PO had to remove them to get the original steering bracket off. I also found this inside the frame so it looks like a makeshift fix was in place at one time:

Just the kind of stuff you get used to working on CJs

Unfortunately I don't have the welding skills to fix it so I will have to wait until I get it to the shop. Several of the body mount threaded nuts on the tub also need to be rewelded.

I bought some Ford F-250 shock towers that I'm hoping to adapt into something that fits.

The shock mounts on the dana 60 axle are the stock ones from the CUCV military truck so I don't know if they will line up or need to be cut off and welded differently.

I will also be working on cleaning, painting, and installing the firewall brackets and under-dash components.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #56
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Just finished painting parts so tomorrow I can work on getting the pedal assembly, battery tray, fender supports installed.

Here is the power steering pump installed:

I also installed the thermostat, oil filler tube, and test fitted the distributor.

This is how a CJ front clip should look:

No square headlights here!
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #57
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

shock towers

Managed to get the Ford F-250 shock towers fitted into the stock location. If you are running stock axles you may have to move the tower but the dana 60 axle I'm using lines up nicely.

First step was to make a template to mark the location for drilling new holes:

Then I marked the tower and started drilling:

As I suspected from the measurements, and starting to become apparent when I was drilling, the new holes were going to end up a little on the curved part of the tower.

Here are the finished holes, 3/8 in size:

A little grinding and I ended up with plenty of space to fit the bolts and ratchet with socket:

Normally I'm not a big fan of the 3/8 head on these ARP stainless bolts but in this case it was helpful.

Here's a pic with a pipe where the shock would go since I didn't have a shock long enough to fit:

In the bottom of the above pic you can see I had an old shock from my 2008 JK but it was too short!

It's about 28 inches from stud to stud so hopefully I'll get some good shock travel. All-in-all for about $25 I can't complain too much.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #58
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

The atlas t-case has arrived! No pics yet but it's waiting at the shop so I'll be taking the scrambler in later next week. I need to get the brake calipers installed, throttle body installed, and gas tank installed before taking it in.

I did go ahead and install a few things:

Gas pedal:

Don't mind my poor spray painting skills

Brake pedal assembly with clutch removed:

Two brackets attached to assembly:

Two bolts connecting dash to bracket (will have to remove to install dash):

Four bolts connecting assembly to firewall:

Four bolts as seen from engine bay:

I also installed the battery tray but forgot to snap a picture of it.
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #59
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Quick update

The past week I've been doing some little things while trying to cleanup the garage a bit. The shop where my Atlas is waiting is pretty busy right now so I'm waiting to get the Scrambler in.

Here is a new pic with windshield and hood installed:

The hood is still in primer until I decide what to paint it. I also installed the throttle body to prepare for fuel lines.

I ordered some Metalcloak flat fenders since I cannot use the YJ fenders with the CJ grill and hood.

I pulled out the wire harness from the 86 CJ7 I had parted out and realized it was in pretty bad shape so I ordered the Painless P/N 10110 harness
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #60
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Forgot to mention I also ordered a Vanco hydroboost power braking system. Basically it uses the power steering system to boost the brakes. I made sure to order it with their hi-flow option which will allow for the use of a hydro-assist steering system which I will be installing in the future.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.