Jeff's Offroad CJ8 Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeff's Offroad CJ8 Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

That looks to me like a 10bolt front. Shares the same Outers as a Dana 44 but smaller R&P.

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

i got a spindle socket if you need one.
PM me if you need it.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Updates coming tomorrow

I put the GM axles up on craigslist yesterday and sold them today. I guess I wasn't asking enough or just got lucky. It took me months to sell my waggy axles so I guess those 14 bolts are popular.

I finally found a 6 prong socket for the 14 bolt spindle nut. Autozone and Advanced Auto didn't have one in stock but O'Reilly's did.

The CUCV manual says to use the gasket but from the factory it does not use one. Right now I'm planning on using both the gasket and RTV.

Here is the gasket, felpro PN 55350:

After that, some fresh oil in the diff and the rear axle will be ready to go.
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Rear axle spindle nut installation

Had a few minutes to work on the jeep tonight: I reinstalled the spindle nuts, keys, and retainer snaprings.

First, install the spindle nut and torque it down to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the hub:

Notice that the slot on the inside of the spindle nut is not lined up with the index on the spindle. I backed off the nut just a bit to line it up:

After that the key slides into the slot to prevent the spindle nut from turning:

Finally, slide the key retainer into place to prevent the key from sliding out:

Repeat on the other side.
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Installed axle shafts and brake calipers

I don't have many new pics since my battery needed charging.

I re-installed the rear axle shafts:
1) First I wire-wheeled the mating surfaces and then used brake cleaner to clean up the axles.
2) I then applied a thin bead of RTV to the hub's mating surface and stuck the gasket on.
3) Next I slid the axle shafts in place and bolted them in place. I will torque them to 115 ft-lbs tomorrow after the RTV fully cures.

The brake calipers are an easy install:
1) Use a 3/8 hex/allen tool to unbolt the caliper bolts.
2) Place the calipers on the rotor and slide the bolts through the new brackets.
3) Make sure to use the correct caliper on each side, the bleeder screw should be on the top. In the pic below I have a green cap on the bleeder screw.

Pirate 4x4 has a good article on the disc brake conversion

I did manage to get one pic of everything installed:

For reference, here's the rear axle when I first got it:

I think my pinion seal is leaking so I'm going to replace it and while I've got the yoke off I may upgrade it to one that uses ubolts instead of the stock yoke straps.

If I can get the kingpins off the front axle without taking it to a shop, I'll start documenting the kingpin rebuild. I borrowed an impact driver that maxes out at 600 ft-lbs of torque so maybe I can get the kingpins removed and the new ones installed. If that doesn't work, I'll put the 3/4 drive ratchet and long pipe on it.

I have a little tool to allow the use of a 7/8 socket on the kingpin:

Unread 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Kingpin removal

Just a quick update:

I managed to get the kingpins removed but I had to use a little trick I read about while searching on the subject:

If you take an angle grinder and cut into the kingpin just above where it meets the inner C, it loosens the kingpin up for easy removal. Don't cut all the way through, just a 1/4 inch or so all the way around. After the cutting, I was able to remove them with no effort.

Here's a pic of where I cut mine:

Now that the kingpins are out I will start the full kingpin knuckle rebuild. I put the lower kingpin bearings in the freezer so they would shrink enough to make it easier to drive them in. Pics of the kingpin rebuild coming tomorrow...
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Kingpin knuckle rebuild started

I started the kingpin knuckle rebuilds but decided to wait and get high steer arms instead of finishing with the stock upper caps.

I found it easiest to turn the axle upside down for the lower arm install.

Start by placing the dust cap in the arm, securing it with some grease:

Next drive the bearing race into position:

Freezing the race and bearing over night makes it a little easier to drive it in. I used the old race and a punch to drive the new race in.

Grease the bearing and put it in the race:

Next comes the lower seal. I twisted it in by hand first to get it set:

Then I used a 2x4 and hammer to drive it in:

Be careful when hammering these in since they bend easily, ask me how I know

Flip the axle back to it's normal position, and install the kingpin:

I used an impact driver rated for 600 ft-lbs of torque since the CUCV manual calls for 550 ft-lbs of torque when installing the kingpin.

Next comes the upper kingpin seal. There are two different seals included in the kit:

The taller seal on the right is the Ford seal and the shorter seal on the left is the Chevy one.

Slide the seal over the kingpin with the lip facing up:

Now the knuckle is ready to go back on:

I chose to re-use my lower bearing caps since the mating surfaces cleaned up well. I also cleaned up the lower and upper mating surfaces of the knuckles.

Grease the lower bearing cap and slide it into place (the bolt holes only allow it to fit one way):

Torque the bolts to 80 ft-lbs:

Install the kingpin bushing next:

It has a ridge on it that fits into a slot in the knuckle, here's a pic of the slot:

Place the spring retainer on the bushing:

Place the gasket on the mating surface and the spring on the retainer:

Place the upper cap on:

Tighten the bolts little by little alternating each bolt until the cap is all the way on. Torque to 80 ft-lbs.

After everything is installed pump the upper and lower arms full of grease.

I didn't torque the upper caps since I'm going to get high steer arms. I will probably end up redoing the previous few steps. I'll get pics of the high steer arms when I find the ones I want.

I ordered spindle bearing kits so the spindle and wheel bearing assembly is coming up next. Leaning towards installing new inner axle seals while I've got the axle torn all the way down.

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Spindle bearing kits arrived

I got the spindle bearing kits today and the new inner axle seals should be here tomorrow. Should give me plenty to do this weekend...

Unread 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Quick update

I've got the steering knuckles back on but before I put the axles back in I decided to replace the inner axle seals.

Took the differential cover off:

Next I removed the carrier. I loosened the bearing cap bolts but left them in so the carrier wouldn't fall out. I then put a rag into the carrier between the ring gear and housing and turned the yoke by hand until the carrier popped loose.

There is a lot of gunk in the axle tubes so I need to get some wire brushes to clean them out.

The seals don't look too bad but since I already had the axle torn down this far it made sense to change them out.

ASteve has a great thread on this stuff too so be sure to check it out here. And he takes better pictures than I do

My spindle bearings aren't coming out easily with a hammer and screwdriver so I'm going to see if advanced auto carries a bearing puller tool I can borrow.

More updates coming later today...
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Back from the store

Turns out Advanced Auto does carry a loaner tool that can pull the spindle bearing. They were nice enough to do it in the store so I didn't have to take the tool home!

Here's one of the spindles without the bearing:

I also stopped by the hardware store looking for some wire brushes to clean out the axle tubes. This was all I could find:

It's a dryer lint cleaning tool. It's nylon so I doubt it will get the tubes as clean as I want but I'll give it a shot.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Spindle bearings installed

I got the axle tubes cleaned up and now need to build a tool to install the the new inner seals. I just saw a thread started by Exposed that shows a nice tool he created for the job. ASteve also covers this in his thread which I linked in a previous post. Unfortunately I don't have enough spare parts around to build something so I'll return to the hardware store tomorrow.

New spindle bearing install started:

I used a block of wood and a hammer to start it.

Then I used a socket with the same diameter as the bearing to drive it in the rest of the way:

Next I used the same socket to drive the seal in:

I don't know if I like this new seal/washer combo since it's made of plastic. I may go buy just the seal and re-use my old brass washer instead.

I also installed the inner wheel bearings and hub seals on the front hubs.

Cleaned up the inner wheel bearing race, greased the bearing and placed it in the race:

Packed the installed bearing with grease:

Installed the hub seal:

For the hub seal I pressed it in place by hand and then lightly tapped it around the edges with a hammer. Same way I did the rear hub seals.

I also got my frame shipped off to have some work done on it. The person doing the work was nice enough to pick it up at my house since I don't have a trailer. Thanks, Will I forgot to get pics of it before we loaded it up but there will be plenty of pics when I paint it.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #27
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

That earlier pic is definitely of a 10 bolt as its got the "ears" on it. Great build so far and awesome detail. For my 14 bolt I have ruff stuff caliper brackets that are curved so no need for spacers.
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Continued the front axle rebuild...

I installed the inner axle seals. I tapped them in using a ball-peen hammer and a socket with the same diameter as the seal, 2.5 inches for the dana 60:

After the seals were installed, I applied some grease to them so the axles can be reinstalled without damaging the seals.

I then reinstalled the carrier and bolted the bearing caps back in. Torque them to 80 ft-lbs.

The new spindle bearing kit included a newer type of thrust washer and seal for the outer axle stub:

The original style on the left and the new combo one on the right.

I tapped the seal on to the outer axle:

Installed the axle:

Before installing the spindle I greased the bearings and applied some anti-seize to the spindle/knuckle mating surface:

Thanks to ASteve and JeepHammer for the anti-seize idea.

Slid the spindle on to the axle. The bolt holes only align one way so rotate the spindle until it lines up:

I also applied anti-seize to the caliper bracket:

Then slid the caliper bracket on to the spindle:

It's not visible in my pic above but make sure the hole with for the caliper retaining bolt is on the bottom.

I applied anti-seize to the splash shield:

Slid the splash shield on to the caliper bracket:

Applied anti-seize to the spacer bracket:

Slid the bracket on to the splash shield and tightened the locknuts to 32 ft-lbs initially and finally 65 ft-lbs:

That's as far as I got today. I'm hoping to get the hubs installed tomorrow and then the new warn lockouts. I'll probably mount the new calipers as well.

Stay tuned...

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

Front wheel hub assembly

I installed the hub/rotor assemblies, outer wheel bearings, and spindle nut assemblies.

I already had the inner wheel bearings and hub seals installed. I cleaned up the inner side of the rotors using some brake cleaner before installed them.

The hub and rotor seated on the spindle:

Grease up the outer wheel bearing and insert it into the hub:

Here is the spindle nut set used by the CUCV dana 60:

You'll need a four-prong 2.5 inch socket to properly tighten the spindle nuts.

The left nut is the inner nut, it has a little peg on one side that must face outward so the lock nut hole can fit over the peg. Torque it to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the hub (to seat the bearing), then back it off a few turns, then torque it back to 50 ft-lbs.

The lock nut also has a tab on the inside that fits into a groove on the spindle so it can only fit one way. You may have to loosen the inner spindle nut to get the peg to line up with the hole on the lock nut:

The peg is in the hole at the 2 o'clock position in the picture above.

Next, install the outer spindle nut, it's the one without a peg on it. The torque spec on this one is 160 ft-lbs which I can't do until I get the axle mounted on the frame.

Warn lockout hubs and brake calipers to follow soon...

I also made a trip out to Moab Offroad in Louisville and ordered high steer arms, a 1350 u-bolt style yoke for the dana 60, and a 1410 u-bolt style yoke for the 14 bolt. Pics to follow...

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
jeepnjeff1002
1982 CJ8 

New parts

Picked up some new parts today:

1410 u-bolt style yoke for the 14 bolt axle:

1350 u-bolt style yoke for the dana 60 axle:

Ballistic Fabrication high steer kit:

I still need to pickup some new pinion nuts and a pinion seal for the rear axle but I will have picks of the install coming soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.