Jeeps in snow? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeeps in snow?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Speaking of tree huggers..

On a snow run a few years ago, we passed a couple pulled off to the side in a Subaru. They said they were documenting the environment destruction by 4x4 vehicles. I gave them a and we went on our way. Fast forward a few hours, were on our way back down, and here sits envirogeeks in the ditch. We stop and offer to pull them out. But not before we took pics of how they tore up the ground trying to get out. Before we did pull them out, we made sure to show them just how little a properly equipped 4x4 with lockers actually tears up the ground (little to none.) I about ripped the rear bumper off pulling them out, but we did and went on our way..
2Thumbsup!!!!!

Dave in Muskegon

dg6772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Mine hardly gets started until the temps are below 40*
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Jamesromeos
1979 CJ5 

Mine Hibernates for the winter here in Mass.
Jamesromeos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I drive mine all winter long. I leave the front hubs engaged from the first snow, to the last. This way, I can "shift on the fly" while moving, as needed.
In fact, this was also the main reason for installing a twin-stick. It makes it really easy to switch from 2wd, to 4wd, quickly while moving.

and I keep my tow strap handy all winter as well. Originally in case I got stuck... but in the last few years, I've pulled out probobly 20 or so stuck cars.
My greatest "achievement" was winter storm "NEMO" last year. We had 3-4 feet of snow, and the state declared "no cars on road, except emergency".

But I had to work at 4am. Before the plows were even out. THe snow was so deep in places that it was coming over the hood as I plowed through it. But as long as I kept the momentum, it carved a "jeep size tunnel" through, and kept going. The fan belt howled like a monkey, as tons of snow probobly filled the engine compartment.

My only issue is the defrosters are terrible. The wipers are terrible. The visibility becomes terrible as the "clear spot" on the windshield gets smaller and smaller as a drive during the snow.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I prefer the 04 grand cherokee or my 94 cummins over the CJ in the snow.

In 15" of snow the grand cherokee is like driving on wet roads. The CJ not so much.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Speaking of tree huggers..

On a snow run a few years ago, we passed a couple pulled off to the side in a Subaru. They said they were documenting the environment destruction by 4x4 vehicles. I gave them a and we went on our way. Fast forward a few hours, were on our way back down, and here sits envirogeeks in the ditch. We stop and offer to pull them out. But not before we took pics of how they tore up the ground trying to get out. Before we did pull them out, we made sure to show them just how little a properly equipped 4x4 with lockers actually tears up the ground (little to none.) I about ripped the rear bumper off pulling them out, but we did and went on our way..
ha ha ha.. touche.. love it...
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I love snow runs. Sure don't like driving it on snowy roads though, I'll stick to my F150.

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure I'm in the CJ section of the forum, but I have to say...And I hope I don't get flamed for this, my XJ is great in snow. I slid it off my driveway (tried to make it up in 2wd...Bad idea) and it pulled itself out of the snowy ditch and up the hill, without needing a running start (like mom's Kia)! But I do find it hilarious that in the picture that says "It gets you there even in deep snow," there's literally less than 3 inches on the road, and the snowbank is only a foot high! We have to be careful around here because sometimes you can't even see full-size trucks around the snowbanks! We're supposed to get snow this week, and they aren't sure yet if it'll be counted in inches or feet. Northern Maine has had more than 4 feet in a week before. Like snow up to the stomach, BEFORE it's plowed into banks...

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In one of the blizzards of 96. (When we had one every Wednesday for 5 or 6 weeks)

My buddy asked if I was off that evening cause of the snow. Of coarse I sad yep! He came out in his snowmobile and picked me up. We played all night. He has a buddy artic-cat.

He was telling me about his neighbors. They won a law suit and bought their house and two jeeps. (Wranglers or TJ's whatever was new that year). It was the typical 24-28" of snow blizzard we were getting. I saw one day they were stuck half in the road and half on the snow bank.

He said it was funny. He had come home the evening before watching them trying to get over the snow bank the plow had created to get to their garage. (House is only 50ft off of road) he said he sat and watched a few min. Then busted through a higher snow bank on his side of the road with his 1976 Wagoneer and drove up his 500ft driveway with drifts 4-5ft high to his garage. He said they watched him drive up to his house.

I'll say this, its easy to drive through fresh deep snow. It's when the cold and wind pack it tight then its a lot harder. I've driven through 3day old snow 3ft deep in my cummins that was a hard drive. My skid plate had the snow packed so hard I left no foot prints on it walking my tracks. I would not have thought about the CJ unless I though I could drive on top of the snow.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haha funny story^! Yeah heavy snow is the worst. The winch on our King Quad was having a hard time holding up the plow, because the snow stuck to it! Gonna try some spray-on snow grease stuff to try and keep it off...Semi-unrelated but my neighbors had a full gas snowblower on their roof all winter last year...

Unread 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Driving in snow is so easy, I decided to try it with 3 wheels....
img_0968.jpg

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
Haha funny story^! Yeah heavy snow is the worst. The winch on our King Quad was having a hard time holding up the plow, because the snow stuck to it! Gonna try some spray-on snow grease stuff to try and keep it off...Semi-unrelated but my neighbors had a full gas snowblower on their roof all winter last year...
Just have a few cans of silicone spray. Use it liberally.
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Think I may try that...

Unread 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
Thanks! Think I may try that...
It works great on my snowblower.

There is also a special plow paint that is suppose to be non stick. Been a while since my bro had the power wagon and snowplow. So may not be available anymore.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Pam cooking spray work too.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.