Jeeps in snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeeps in snow?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Jeeps in snow?

Petrolicious is asking readers opinions about using Jeeps in the snow:

http://www.petrolicious.com/jeep-wea...-winter-storms

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

IMO, a CJs high COG, combined with it's short wheelbase and narrow track, makes it a poor snow vehicle by today's standards.

Not to mention their propensity to rust at the slightest hint of moisture.

I do enjoy those old retro ads, though.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Cadillac Jeepers in Cadillac, Michigan have a winter snow run in February I think. If you wish to see pics, you could check out their website.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

I consider driving a jeep "Play Time" so it is always fun and enjoyable no matter what the weather. With that said some are better than others in given situations(a Quadratrac Wag is better in the snow than a CJ but both are fun).
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Snow? YES!!!
Ice? NO!!!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

drive in ice and snow here 5-6 months out of the year for the past 23 years. mine even have a detroit locker in the rear. no problems.
it's really a no-brainer that it's not so much "what" you drive as "how" you drive.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
drive in ice and snow here 5-6 months out of the year for the past 23 years. mine even have a detroit locker in the rear. no problems.
it's really a no-brainer that it's not so much "what" you drive as "how" you drive.
You got that right!! Been here doin that in Michigan for over twenty years also. My road is always like a frozen lake.

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Ice? NO!!!
What? WHAT? WHAT?!

Okay, there is a difference between driving and racing... but I couldn't resist.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sweet!!!!

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Yea.. driving in snow sucks.... NOT!

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Jeepster with an open top! Perfect for deep snow!
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
What? WHAT? WHAT?!

Okay, there is a difference between driving and racing... but I couldn't resist.
Someday I want to get out there and experience this sport. It looks too fun not have on the bucket list.
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I bought mine mainly because of snow. NE Ohio can be so unpredictable anymore in the wintertime that one day you have winter warnings for 4-8" of snow but then the next day it is pouring rain. This means I want to be ready for anything. I also got tired of replacing vehicles after a few years from them rusting out beyond repairing safely. This is why I got the CJ and not another F150 4x4 - I wanted fiberglass body parts that wouldn't rust! I can replace/repair anything mechanically on it, but I am not a body-guy. I figure slowly change it to fully fiberglass, have it painted once, and it'll last for years. As for snow and ice? Best set of tires I've bought yet are the BFG A/Ts, they are snow rated and have gotten me through many environments.

I am interested in the locker setup that Strvger01 mentioned. I'd hate to spend the $$ for it then wipe out the first snow, but I would love to put a locker in. Front locker is out, as I leave the hubs locked in whenever there is a threat of snow on the ground.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I drove snow in the Sierras for years with the club.. we all had trucker chains with large cleats.. NEVER let a little snow stop us.. when I lived in Denver, actually on Shiloh Mtn at 9400', I drove snow over half the year.. never had a problem, ICE, that's another story.. unless you have screws coming out of your tires and a good prayer, black ice is a 2mph trek and pray.. drove through a blizzard in Northern Cal, we went in, couldn't go back out the way we entered, so with CB's to communicate, since we couldn't see each other, we drove across the lake to a ski resort and came out there.. had ALL of the Sierra Club waiting along with 1/2 the forrest rangers to cite us.. one of those "we had no choice, we left no trace, but ENVIROMENTALISTS are a$$ holes".. back to SNOW, if you can't drive your jeep in SNOW, what good is it? the Salt they use back east is detrimental, otherwise, go enjoy..
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Speaking of tree huggers..

On a snow run a few years ago, we passed a couple pulled off to the side in a Subaru. They said they were documenting the environment destruction by 4x4 vehicles. I gave them a and we went on our way. Fast forward a few hours, were on our way back down, and here sits envirogeeks in the ditch. We stop and offer to pull them out. But not before we took pics of how they tore up the ground trying to get out. Before we did pull them out, we made sure to show them just how little a properly equipped 4x4 with lockers actually tears up the ground (little to none.) I about ripped the rear bumper off pulling them out, but we did and went on our way..

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.