Jeepair v8 compressor mount question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeepair v8 compressor mount question.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Jeepair v8 compressor mount question.

I finally hit the button the Jeepair AC kit so I can drive my CJ year round (I should now be able to drive in the Texas summer without the wet t-shirt contest that nobody wants to see). Directions are okay, but want to make sure I am doing everything right.

I have a 304 and I am at the part where I am installing the compressor. Does anyone have some pictures of how it should look on a 304 or 360? I am not sure how the compressor mount goes on the engine mount. They instructions just say to mount it and don't give a picture with the new compressor.

Is the compressor mount supposed to have the compresser on the left side or the right side? I am assuming it is the way I have it in the picture (inside the red square is the compressor mount).

I am taking pictures as I do the install and will post a how to once I am done with the job in case it helps anyone, or maybe a guide on how not to do it..

Thanks in advance for the help!!

ac-question.jpg   jeepair.jpg  
burchdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Just to be clear, I know how the engine mount goes on the engine. I just want to make sure I bolt the compressor mount (with the compressor) on the engine mount piece (on the lower left in the first picture) the correct way so the belt is tight enough.
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Sorry guys, nevermind, I figured it out..
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Now that I have got the compressor on, now I have a question about the belts. How tight should they be? If I route the belt around the alternator + AC + bottom pully + center, it will work if I mount the center pulley with some force, but it is really tight. Should there be a little play in the belt?

Anyone have pictures of AC on a V8?
acbelt.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

doesn't your alternator have a bolt that you loosen to adjust the belt tension? most do.. actually two bolts, but one has the slot to move the alternator to tighten the belt..
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

It looks to me like it should be mounted like the stock AMC compressor using a 2 groove ALT and 3 groove water pump and crank pulley so there will be two belts on the compressor. The compressor pulls a lot of drag and a single belt will slip. The belts should go over the compressor, water pump, crank, and ALT. The other belt will go over the water pump, crank, and power steering.

Proper belt locations.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.