Jeep wiring is a nightmare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep wiring is a nightmare

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
njbob271
1985 CJ7 

Jeep wiring is a nightmare

I recently bought an 85' CJ7 froma guy who worked me over pretty damn good. The jeep has thousands invested however, the wiring done throughout the thing is a nightmare! Underneath the dash theres so many wires hanging which are either cut or don't even go to anything at all its like you get lost at what your looking at. Because of the shorts and drains involved with all the bad wiring, the jeep only starts when it's jumped, but then runs fine until you turn it off where it completely dies again immediatley. The jeep has a late 80's corvette 350 engine along with a t-176 tranny. Problem is the guy's son i bought it from used the jeep as a damn science experiment and ended up doing things to it he didn't know how to or couldn't finish. I was told by my friendly mechanic it would cost in the thousands for labor in order for him to rewire the whole thing. I was wondering if it would take a custom wiring harness to fix the problem or does painless wiring make a harness that fits for modified jeeps. Also I'm planning on chaning the dash back to the original cj7 dash and removing all the **** he tried to add with the aftermarket one thats in it. If anyone has any advice on my situation plz help im stuck with this jeep now and couldn't do the same thing the guy who sold it to me did and beat someone for their money.

njbob271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

sounds like a new wiring harness starting fresh is the way to go...you'll waste hundreds of hours of your time or thousands of dollars of your money trying to sort it out otherwise... There are other wiring harness companies besides Painless though, I'd shop around a bit
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

I'd definitely look into a new harness as well...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

I would go new harness and then "convert" that to work with the 350. At least you would know whats what.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
danheit
1979 CJ7 

I would either build your own harness (not as hard as it sounds, CJ's only have a few circuits), or but a new one. Don't pay someone else thousands to do it for you. Heck, for $2K, I'll fly up there, put it in and fly home while making a profit!

Oh, PLEASE post a picture of the 'aftermarket' dash he has. You have peaked my interest. Thanks!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
njbob271
1985 CJ7 

Surely, tomorrow I will post a bunch of pics so u can understand whats going on there a little better.
njbob271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
BG33
1984 CJ7 

Keep your eye out for harnesses on ebay. I recently bought an uncut complete engine harness for my 84 including all the computer wiring. Was complete and uncut for only 49 bucks plus shipping.
BG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
jeepsta
1983 CJ5 

I would look at buying an Ez-wiring Harness from ebay. My wiring was a nightmare and so I bought one for about 150 and am very happy with the way everything turned out.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we.
jeepsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

I feel for ya bud, I spent about 12 hours this weekend removing 3 alarm and 2 stereo harnesses... what a clusterf*ck.
KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

I know how you feel. I spent about 6 hours this past Saturday redoing what POs past have hacked up. I even found what looked like speaker wire spliced into some circuits. I'll be doing a new harness soon I hope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.