Jeep wiring harness OVERdone right (or so I hope) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep wiring harness OVERdone right (or so I hope)

RuffStuff's LABOR DAY SALE!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2015, 04:13 AM   #1
InfidelOffroad

Jeep wiring harness OVERdone right (or so I hope)

Hey guys,
In the coming months I plan on starting the tear down of my jeep. After sanding/painting the frame/tub, I plan to overhaul the wiring.
The idea is to rewire it from end to end. I already have removed all of the unnecessary wiring. Next step will be to replace what is left.
My plan involves using circuit breakers like http://tinyurl.com/pv6wqpx , and or http://tinyurl.com/ozo22bw . I will then pigtail wiring into
cannon plugs (such as the tail lights) using http://tinyurl.com/p264o4g . Finishing up by labeling all wiring at the connections and zip tying
the bundles.

Anyone else rewire an entire CJ have any advice going into this? Anything odd/strange that you wish you knew ahead of time?

If this is anything anyone is interested in I can post progress pictures as I go as well as parts used.
Wish me luck!

Last edited by InfidelOffroad; 08-21-2015 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: accidentally sentences
InfidelOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

The Forum search is pretty useless, if you use Google search for "wiring a Jeep CJ7" you will find helpful articles etc. Here is one good one from THE HAMMER

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...arted-1340134/

Good luck

STJP
STJP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Fill out your profile. It is most helpful to know exactly what you are working on. Wiring changed from year to year.

Go buy a Jeep manual that has a wiring diagram. Took mine to a print shop and had them blow it up as much as possible so I could read it.

If it has rollup windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
bob4703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Those are nice circuit breakers but they could take on dust etc. and cause problems. I would keep it simple with a good fuse block, lighter and will take more abuse from water, dirt, etc.

Some of the most troublesome spots are the firewall connector and the steering column wiring. If you want reliability I spend my time there and try to upgrade those areas with better connectors.

If it is all wired well the fuses should never blow.
Unread 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I ran across a Ford pickup in the salvage yard the other day and it had an intact box with fuses and relays in it that I want to go back for an use in my CJ. I believe it was a late 90s model.
picture_php_pictureid_155413_c826cc4c9757dbe6b712fd866a36add7cee34e8b.jpg

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Bulldog Dave
1975 CJ5 

Cj CJ-5 rewire

I rewired my entire 1975 CJ-5 during my rebuild. Most helpful was having the OEM manual to reference back to. I also covered all splices (soldered, not crimped) with marine grade heat shrink (has glue inside). This waterproofed these connections as I saw a lot of corrosion at these points when I did my deinstall. I had to reuse the steering column connector as I did not find a suitable substitute.

I also went into Auto Cad and drew out the entire diagram, similar to what was in the manual, so I would know what went where in future years. It has come in handy.
Unread 08-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
InfidelOffroad

I want to print out a custom diagram as well. That way 2 years later I'm not guessing.

It's an 81. I have very high res diagram for it.
InfidelOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.