Jeep whines when going 30mph or more?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep whines when going 30mph or more??

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
maback
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep whines when going 30mph or more??

I'm not sure what's going on here. When I accelerate to more than 30, it starts to whine from the front. When I take my foot off the accelerator the noise stops. I don't think it's the front wheel bearings, they were replaced a year ago, when I converted to disk brakes, and I think they would always whine regardless of acceleration. Could this be a ujoint problem on the front driveshaft (quadratrac full time all wheel drive)? Or pinion bearing issue in the differential? The only other thing I can think of is maybe a vacuum leak.

This is whining noise and not a grinding noise. Anybody have any ideas?

maback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Is it doing it with the hubs unlocked?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

it's a quadratrac.
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Did you check the oil level in the front differential? While you're doing that, try shaking the pinion up and down/left right. Gears would make a whining sound and could vary according to load especially drive/coast conditions. Just an educated guess.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
maback
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Did you check the oil level in the front differential? While you're doing that, try shaking the pinion up and down/left right. Gears would make a whining sound and could vary according to load especially drive/coast conditions. Just an educated guess.
I just changed the oil in the front differential, thinking that might correct the problem.. Have not tried shaking the pinion, I'll try tonight.
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

While under there check all the fluid levels. A low oil in the trans, transfer, or even rear would whine. I know you say it is in the front, but I've heard noises transmit thru to different parts.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
maback
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
While under there check all the fluid levels. A low oil in the trans, transfer, or even rear would whine. I know you say it is in the front, but I've heard noises transmit thru to different parts.
Okay, I'll check that. I regularly check and add to the transmission, because it leaks. I'll have to check the transfer case. It probably needs changing anyway.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

definately check t-case fluid on q-trac if you have sometime rolling around under it

I don't know if that's your problem but I assume you're aware that q-track is prone to self-destruct if you don't treat it right

You mentioned u joints--U joints make a squeaking noise which is at least 2x more frequent that tire rotation, or if they're REALLY bad, they will make a clacking noise

I say check the differential and all the bearings in the area you think its coming from- don't rule out wheel bearings, and if you get in there to check them then you might as well check the spindle bearings

btw---- q-trac fluid is $10/qt on quadratec, but you can use non-detergent 30w motor oil too ( I use shell SAE30ND ) don't forget to fill the low-range unit too(if you have one and to check the morse chain while the fluid is out of it-- it will literally explode if it wears out and starts jumping

sorry if you already know all that q-trac stuff but nobody came right out and told me some of that key information so I figured I would throw it out there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.