Jeep Wave Trumped..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Jeep Wave Trumped.....

While in the outer Banks, NC last week I found it difficult to get a return wave from fellow jeepers (CJ and YJs excluded). I was really frustrated after explaining the "Jeep Wave" to my 13 year old nephew and then getting no return waves from the newer jeeps that seem to populate the pavement in beach communities. After getting several sideways glances from my nephew on botched wave attempts, we approached two girls (of around his age) walking along the side of the road. As I was turning the corner, one of them said "I really like your Jeep!" I did what every good uncle would do and turned to my nephew and said "All chicks dig a CJ."
My brother-in-law informed me (with a discouraged tone) that my nephew wants a Jeep as his first vehicle..... Was it the CJ or was it the girl?
Who cares!

The two best off-road vehicles in the world -- the Jeep CJ and rental cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM
chill254
1984 CJ8 

I have learned that generally the older the jeep the more likely the person driving it will give the wave. New jeeps get sold to people who are sometimes not jeep people.
post #3 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Should be mandatory for Jeep sales d00ds to teach their customers. YJs I get plenty of wave, TJs too. JKs, not so much, but lots of old ladies driving them around here.

2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #380

post #4 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

It's pretty much a guarantee I'll get a wave from any CJ or YJ in this area. TJs it's maybe a 50/50 shot.. JKs are too busy playing with all their electronic equipment and heated seats to realize wtf is going on in the world around them. ;p

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
post #5 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 PM
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

I just give the New Castle wave now since I have also been snubbed.

In a world full of copy cats, be an original...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
post #6 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Boyjeepin
1980 CJ7 

I know what you mean. I just moved down to FL and bought a CJ...nobody waves around here and there are so many jeeps. I also use to have a TJ and when we bought it the dealer educated us on the Jeep Wave. So not all dealers are idiots. One thing is for sure, I will continue to wave in glory to all I see!

"Going to the woods is going home..."
1980 CJ-7: For Sale
2000 XJ: RIP
2001 XJ: MIA
post #7 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 PM
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

here is my wave...

In a world full of copy cats, be an original...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
post #8 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

I just got my 2nd response wave from a Tj today. There were only two responses out of the thousands of TJ's i see. JK's i don't even really care if i get a wave back, cause who buys a jeep where the window does not fold down?

I get more waves(or flashing headlights) from lifted Broncos and trucks.

[/color]
Let's go Flyer's!!!!!!
post #9 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Ya the jeep wave is more of an "early model jeep" or "wheeling rig" wave these days ...

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
post #10 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
tjmdr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnabout View Post
While in the outer Banks, NC last week I found it difficult to get a return wave from fellow jeepers (CJ and YJs excluded). I was really frustrated after explaining the "Jeep Wave" to my 13 year old nephew and then getting no return waves from the newer jeeps that seem to populate the pavement in beach communities. After getting several sideways glances from my nephew on botched wave attempts, we approached two girls (of around his age) walking along the side of the road. As I was turning the corner, one of them said "I really like your Jeep!" I did what every good uncle would do and turned to my nephew and said "All chicks dig a CJ."
My brother-in-law informed me (with a discouraged tone) that my nephew wants a Jeep as his first vehicle..... Was it the CJ or was it the girl?
Who cares!
learning that girls love jeeps @ 13. Oh, to be young again.
post #11 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
cartar452
1977 CJ7 

Where were you in the outer banks? I've been in Atlantic Beach all summer and get waves from a lot of different Jeeps.
post #12 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartar452 View Post
Where were you in the outer banks? I've been in Atlantic Beach all summer and get waves from a lot of different Jeeps.
We were up in Corolla. Locals in older rigs wave without hesitation. The lack of reciprocation stemmed from the new shiny out of town cars, I mean jeeps, and a small coalition of rentals from a place that appears to have omitted the 'wave clause' from their contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmdr View Post
learning that girls love jeeps @ 13. Oh, to be young again.
I learned the value of a Jeep to women of all ages when I was a kid. My mom drove one as a daily driver. (Not to get Freudian or anything)

The two best off-road vehicles in the world -- the Jeep CJ and rental cars.
post #13 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I don't bother so much anymore, with the tinted windows in the new Jeep. It is hard to see them lift their pinkie even if they do that.
post #14 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Saltydawg1
1983 CJ7 

I experience the same ... passing another CJ or a YJ is a garanteed wave, TJ about 50/50.
The rest it basically comes down to tires .... if they've got wheeling tires you'll get a wave otherwise they might as well be in a Volvo.
post #15 of 45 Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 PM
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyjeepin View Post
I know what you mean. I just moved down to FL and bought a CJ...nobody waves around here and there are so many jeeps. I also use to have a TJ and when we bought it the dealer educated us on the Jeep Wave. So not all dealers are idiots. One thing is for sure, I will continue to wave in glory to all I see!
Yeah... noticed that too. I moved from Virginia (where everyone waved) last July to Florida where nobody waves.

I asked one that stopped in Autozone if his YJ was his Jeep or his car. He didn't understand so I explained. To many of the TJ and JK owners... it's a car.

Vibration? Bump steer? Wandering? Read the article (sticky) on Steering, suspension, and driveline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.