Jeep Turning Radius (Jeep Turns To The LEFT Great, Not So Much To The RIGHT) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Turning Radius (Jeep Turns To The LEFT Great, Not So Much To The RIGHT)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Jeep Turning Radius (Jeep Turns To The LEFT Great, Not So Much To The RIGHT)

Back when I bought my Jeep I had to take it to a shop to replace the steering box. When they installed the new steering box they never centered the steering so I have incredible turning radius to the left, but HORRIBLE turning radius to the right.

Is fixing this as simple as pulling the pitman arm and turning the wheel the opposite direction and then reinstalling?

Also, I need to center the steering wheel as well once this is done.........I have a GRANT steering wheel so I'm guessing just remove the screws and try to get center?

Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Jeeper View Post
Is fixing this as simple as pulling the pitman arm and turning the wheel the opposite direction and then reinstalling?
It sounds like the drag link is way out of adjustment. The pitman arm is splined and, unless you cut out the indexing splines, you'd have to turn it 90 degrees to get it back on. I'm sure you aren't off that far.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Ya someone on JU suggested pulling the draglink off the pitman arm and turning all the way to left, then all the way to right, then finding the middle by how many turns there were and reinstall draglink.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Ya someone on JU suggested pulling the draglink off the pitman arm and turning all the way to left, then all the way to right, then finding the middle by how many turns there were and reinstall draglink.
Yep...I answered some of your other questions over on JU, too.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I know that's the process when installing it for the first time. So if you believe the pitman arm was not installed correctly the first time, that's what I would do. It would be easy to check. Get someone to turn all the way to each side and see how your pitarm sets at each extreme. You should be able to determine if that's your problem.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

My CJ7 also does that. The steering stops aren't set even on mine. You might want to check those, they are bolts with locknuts on the back side of the hub that hit when the steering is pinned, well, that 'is' the 'pin'.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
mike4089

mine does that to...i took it to an alignment shop and the dip wad said becuase it pulled to the right he adjusted the drag link so the wheel was half turned to the right in order to go straight...now that the column has been out the wheel is not even close to being straight and the turning radius sucks...im just gonna take it to nother shop and have them deal with it
mike4089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
alpinedog

Drag link is pretty easy to adjust, do that before you spend the cash to take it in. But you will still probably need an alignment......
alpinedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedog View Post
Drag link is pretty easy to adjust, do that before you spend the cash to take it in. But you will still probably need an alignment......
You can only align the toe in and that can be done in the driveway easily. If anything else is off, parts are worn out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.