jeep turning over but not starting (no fire) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > jeep turning over but not starting (no fire)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
troygolden222
1985 CJ7 

jeep turning over but not starting (no fire)

We have changed the ign coil and ign module but the jeep wont fire. No power from the coil to distribitor.

troygolden222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There is also the pickup coil in the distributor. You can test it with a multimeter. It should read 400-800 ohms between the orange and purple wires with 600 being best. Neither wire should show continuity to ground.

Next check is to be sure you have power to the coil positive when the key is in run and in start.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
troygolden222
1985 CJ7 

more information

Thanks i'm going out tomorrow and check that out. Power is getting to the coil but not the distrib. 1 hot wire getting to the distrb, no fire coming out of the coil going to the pump wire........does this make sense? This jeep sat in my garage for 7 months I just put a new battery in on Saturday and after about 5 long cranks it started. Drove out to my brother in laws Sunday to look at what was draining my battery (old issue) turns out it was a grounded wire on the horn of the new steering wheel I put on. Because the radio was loosing the presets after the jeep was cut off, we moved the radio or (asses) wire.... it was only put in pulling 6 volts instead of 12. These were the only things we did.....when I went to leave it wouldnt fire. Just wanted to explain what led up to my issue.
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I don't get the radio wiring. 6 volts?

I would undo the radio totally, maybe it is now shorting out the ignition depending on what you hooked it to.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
troygolden222
1985 CJ7 

Thanks!

We moved the wired and the jeep started! Weird thing is we put it back in the same spot and the jeep continues to start fine! Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.