Jeep Stereo Set up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM
wm69
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
I enlarged the hole in the dash and used an Alpine all-digital head unit with a removable face plate.
I slid a thin piece of plastic in on top of the head unit to protect from any water leaks.
I get a gallon ziploc bag, cut it along the seams, so I have two plastic flaps. Put one of the flaps on the head unit before sliding it into the sleeve in the dash, making sure that you pull on the back of the flap as you slide the radio in, to where the flap sticks about an inch or so off the back of the headunit after it's all the way in. Take and exacto and trim the front of the flap around the headunit, and then put the trim ring on.

My Kenwoods have cooling on the back of the headunit. so no problems with the headunit overheating. Been doing this since the mid 90's and haven't lost a radio since!


85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Mresky
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort lauderdale
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
I get a gallon ziploc bag, cut it along the seams, so I have two plastic flaps. Put one of the flaps on the head unit before sliding it into the sleeve in the dash, making sure that you pull on the back of the flap as you slide the radio in, to where the flap sticks about an inch or so off the back of the headunit after it's all the way in. Take and exacto and trim the front of the flap around the headunit, and then put the trim ring on.

My Kenwoods have cooling on the back of the headunit. so no problems with the headunit overheating. Been doing this since the mid 90's and haven't lost a radio since!

Thanks for the advice.
Mresky is offline  
post #33 of 41 Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Thbugman
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Psl
Posts: 64
I went with no head unit. Instead I'm using wet sounds blue tooth and 2 ch amp mounted under the dash. For speakers I went with the same brand using the 8" wake board speakers and mounted them next to the rear seats above the tires. Out of the way and sounds great. Though I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4 ch amp and adding 2 7" speakers in the front. Mounted in front of the stick shift.
Thbugman is offline  
post #34 of 41 Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Mresky
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort lauderdale
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbugman View Post
I went with no head unit. Instead I'm using wet sounds blue tooth and 2 ch amp mounted under the dash. For speakers I went with the same brand using the 8" wake board speakers and mounted them next to the rear seats above the tires. Out of the way and sounds great. Though I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4 ch amp and adding 2 7" speakers in the front. Mounted in front of the stick shift.
could you possibly upload some pictures of your set up. that would be great.
Mresky is offline  
post #35 of 41 Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Thbugman
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Psl
Posts: 64
Name:  image-1003954466.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  261.1 KB



Name:  image-1461309318.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  336.5 KB



Name:  image-3854444180.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  253.4 KB



Name:  image-402607597.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  309.9 KB



Name:  image-3410819755.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  343.3 KB

My speedo was off getting repaired. The black knob is the volume, station, everything controller.


Name:  image-3626225486.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  310.1 KB



Name:  image-3852949169.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  300.7 KB


Hopefully they all came through. Let me know if you need anymore.
Attached Images
 
Thbugman is offline  
post #36 of 41 Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Mresky
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort lauderdale
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbugman View Post
Attachment 1123521



Attachment 1123529



Attachment 1123537



Attachment 1123545



Attachment 1123553

My speedo was off getting repaired. The black knob is the volume, station, everything controller.


Attachment 1123561



Attachment 1123569


Hopefully they all came through. Let me know if you need anymore.
thanks so much, some awesome pictures. came out nice. just curious have you had any problems with theft at all?
Mresky is offline  
post #37 of 41 Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Thbugman
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Psl
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mresky View Post
thanks so much, some awesome pictures. came out nice. just curious have you had any problems with theft at all?
No problems with theft. Though the jeep is garage kept. The speakers are bolted down. A thief would have to get under the wheel well and unbolt them.
Thbugman is offline  
post #38 of 41 Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Mresky
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort lauderdale
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbugman View Post
No problems with theft. Though the jeep is garage kept. The speakers are bolted down. A thief would have to get under the wheel well and unbolt them.
very true. I was even thinking of doing on my set up maybe doing one or two little tack welds to just really hold them in place from the underside so even if they try to take it they need to at least bring some kind of blade to cut it out.
Mresky is offline  
post #39 of 41 Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Thbugman
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Psl
Posts: 64
Newest additions. Sounds amazing!!!
Attached Images
     
Thbugman is offline  
post #40 of 41 Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Mresky
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fort lauderdale
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbugman View Post
Newest additions. Sounds amazing!!!
looks great
Mresky is offline  
post #41 of 41 Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Savage1966
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Thanks, The Tuffy would be really hard to get into when locked, and that would slow down a thief some. They would have to figure out how to get power to the starter, there are always ways around it but at least it hampers it a bit.

WSS
I'm getting less and less worried about thieves these days. Most of the teens and young adults I've run into lately have no clue how to drive a standard. Heck it took a few of them awhile to figure out how to roll down the manual windows! hahaha. I just left the period correct cassette player in mine, it still sounds good and I figured no one would want to steal that.
Savage1966 is offline  
Reply

Tags
build , cj , custom , radio , stereo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome