Jeep Stereo Set up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Stereo Set up

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #16
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Do you listen to FM radio? CDs? Cassettes? If not - if it's all iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, etc. - then you really don't need a head-unit (a stereo) at all. Hide an amp to power the speakers, run a line from the amp or use a BlueTooth adapter and just pair your phone with the amp.

Unread 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
XLarge
1985 CJ7 

A lot of space left in the rear and a really good bass with this :

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pe...d-fit-1571718/
XLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

^that^ isn't available in the US.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
XLarge
1985 CJ7 

But it is very cool...
A little compensation for all the parts we Europeans have to order from the US.

Jeepy gtx from Good old Germany

:-)
XLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

I placed mine in the Tuffy console and kept the decoy in the dash also. But. I first placed my nonworking decoy radio through the band saw to make it about 1 inch thick. Makes access behind the dash easier.

I had speakers in the head rest, sounded ok but I like the sound of the TJ sound bar better.

LM
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Think about how big the cell phones were back then....

Everything has gotten smaller...electronics, meals, women's hairdos, my paycheck...everything but the Federal debt has shrunk.

Matt
Everything? I'll have to send a "then and now" pic of my belly.....

Here is my Sony marine unit in my Tuffy:

Marine speakers, not real hi quality but they work and sound good at low volumes.:

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Finally gave up on a radio after ruining 2 of them due to dash/windshield cowl leaks. Don't really miss it as the CJ isn't a daily driver and besides, its a Jeep and is too loud to be able to enjoy music anyway. Gotta have tunes? Ipod and earbuds.
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7ole View Post
Finally gave up on a radio after ruining 2 of them due to dash/windshield cowl leaks. Don't really miss it as the CJ isn't a daily driver and besides, its a Jeep and is too loud to be able to enjoy music anyway. Gotta have tunes? Ipod and earbuds.
I never understood how people can drive around with head phones in. You can't hear your engine, emergency vehicles or anything else for that matter. Same goes for people that ride bicycles or walk around the city with them in......must have a death wish, lol.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

I run a cheapo stereo with an auxiliary input hidden in a console with two 4 inch pioneers in the stock dash location and a 400w amp and 2 pioneer 6x9's hidden in a homade fiberglass box mounted under the rear seat. Everything's hidden. It's been stormed on too with Top off and everything survived with no blemishes!
ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Hey CJ7ole, I had the same problem with water on the back of the dash. I kept thinking it was the windshield gasket. Mine ended up being the crappy aftermarket chrome cowl air vent cover. Some are worse than others and mine didn't fit right. I placed the original one back on and the water stopped. Also new slightly larger screws to better grab the vent better.

I Had to find the water cause my LS1 computer was above glove box. I noticed my water during a rain/hail storm in Ouray. I quickly taped the vent up, since my windshield gasket was already taped up a few days earlier. .

Hope that helps someone.

As far as my first dash replacement radio I went with a marine radio. I still have it. I replaced it for a more optioned radio and moved it to the Tuffy console.

LM
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Ohh and WSS,
Nice addition to the Tuffy console. The battery disconnect. Great, I might have to borrow that.

LM
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1CJ5 View Post
Ohh and WSS,
Nice addition to the Tuffy console. The battery disconnect. Great, I might have to borrow that.

LM
Thanks, The Tuffy would be really hard to get into when locked, and that would slow down a thief some. They would have to figure out how to get power to the starter, there are always ways around it but at least it hampers it a bit.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #28
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I just finished building a tool box for the back (pulled my rear seat out since it was rarely used). I used some marine grade plywood I had sitting around, drilled holes in the bottom to drain any water that might get in, and put a lock on it. I mounted two Polk marine speakers in it, and a fairly cheap amp (not the cool Rockford). Also has a power inverter in it. Plus some tool bags, jumper cables, etc. The head unit (also dirt cheap) is mounted in the Tuffy center console, as is the CB. I'll post pictures shortly.
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I enlarged the hole in the dash and used an Alpine all-digital head unit with a removable face plate.
I slid a thin piece of plastic in on top of the head unit to protect from any water leaks.
XM receiver sits on top of the duct behind (actually, forward of) the glove box and the antenna is concealed inside the roll bar cover.

I went with the Polk Audio speakers - all of their white cones are marine-grade.
5-1/4" behind the dash in front, and 6"x9" in enclosures for the rear.

I used a 200W JL Audio amp that I mounted under the passenger seat. Basically, I used two pieces of flat aluminum bar stock as cross-pieces which I bolted to the amp using the amp's mounting holes.
Then it was just a matter of removing the seat, hanging the amp across the flats and bolting the seat back in. That amp is not going anywhere and is nicely out of sight.

I mounted the rear speakers in a pair of those enclosures you see in the catalogs. They look stock and would be a PITA for a thief to remove.

I added a 10" subwoofer in a basic box, with the 100W Alpine amp bolted to the back of the box using carriage bolts so it can't easily be removed.
Then I put a stainless steel u-bolt on the box, which secured it to the roll bar.

All the power distribution is mounted underneath the Bestop console, and all the power and speaker wires are inside a length of black "loom" zip-tied to the tub, so it isn't obvious that they're for audio equipment.

This is a very simple, low-key set-up that has survived for five years in midtown Memphis, Tennessee, including topless summers and public parking, so I think it's robust enough for most areas.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #30
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

thanks everyone
Mresky is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.