Jeep Stereo Set up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Stereo Set up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Jeep Stereo Set up

Hey everyone, Im building a 1983 cj5 and doing a complete frame off resto. Im just planning for the future and how i want to do my stereo set up when i get to that point and how much do I want to put in it and how I want to hide it and protect it from the elements. So i would love to see some of the options and things everyone else did on theirs. thanks

Mresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I just did my 86 CJ. Free, Sony, Polk Audio marine 5 1/4" in dash and 6x9's in boxes by rollbar. Easily usable on freeway with no top. Total cost......about 210.00. For speakers and boxes.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I used the RetroSound head unit for the vintage look with modern features.

I combined it with Infinity 6x9s in Sound Wedges in the rear, Bazooka 5-1/4"s in front, and Rockford Fosgate 300W amp in the console.

Matt
radio6.jpg   radio7.jpg   radio10.jpg   radio9.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

I put my head unit in the tuffy console. And run dash speakers and 6x9's in roll bar box's just like Matt's setup.

Matt I still can't get over how small that amp is in your console. Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I had to have a stereo in everything I owned a small amp was the size of a laptop computer.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I kept my original Jeep AM/FM Stereo radio and modified the volume control circuit so I can hook up a iPod, iPhone, MP player or any other device that has a mini jack. The front 5-1/4" speakers came out of a Jeep TJ sound bar from a junk yard find, complete with speaker connector, for $10. Total cost with wiring, modification of radio, speakers was under $20. If you don't have an OEM radio, that will cost some big bucks today on eBay.

How it was done can be found here on a restoration of my original dash: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-look-1150715/

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
I put my head unit in the tuffy console. And run dash speakers and 6x9's in roll bar box's just like Matt's setup.

Matt I still can't get over how small that amp is in your console. Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I had to have a stereo in everything I owned a small amp was the size of a laptop computer.
Think about how big the cell phones were back then....

Everything has gotten smaller...electronics, meals, women's hairdos, my paycheck...everything but the Federal debt has shrunk.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Krum81

1975 CJ5 

I tried something different and built a box / rear seat that holds 1 down facing 10" sub and 2 4x6 mids. I then ran 2 tweeters up front and power it with a 400watt 4 channel amp under the driver seat. It has no stereo head unit i run all my music off my ipod that has a stereo tuner and 3000 of my favorite songs.

With the top on it sounds great and with it off you lose some of the sound to engine and road noise but everybody else hears it lol
Krum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
Same here. Back in the day I had a coustic AMP560. I swear it was 3 foot long and you defenatly wanted to keep the car running if you listened to the radio.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krum81 View Post
I tried something different and built a box / rear seat that holds 1 down facing 10" sub and 2 4x6 mids. I then ran 2 tweeters up front and power it with a 400watt 4 channel amp under the driver seat. It has no stereo head unit i run all my music off my ipod that has a stereo tuner and 3000 of my favorite songs.

With the top on it sounds great and with it off you lose some of the sound to engine and road noise but everybody else hears it lol
How'd you hook the ipod into the amp?
Do you just use the ipod's control for volume control?
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
ChaseKanter

Buy a center console that accepts a standard single din receiver. Many are totally water resistant when closed. Any receiver you buy in this era will/should have an ipod/phone connection. Dont settle for an aux connection, aux connections are old school and you will lose sound quality. Not to mention, no charging with an aux. Also, its very rare on this forum, but i highly suggest wakeboard tower speakers mounted to the rollbar. They never get in the way, waterproof, and easy to hear when driving with the top off.
ChaseKanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Krum81

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
How'd you hook the ipod into the amp?
Do you just use the ipod's control for volume control?

You just need a audio adapter that goes from the left/right audio output then adapts to a 3.5mm http://www.rakuten.com/prod/monster-...l?listingId=-1
I can show pics but yes you set your max volume with i pod all the way up and adjust the amp till you reach the max volume you want.

After that all volume is right off the i pod .
Krum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
HMS
1983 CJ7 

Anyone have suggestions for a simple base speaker? I have been looking at
a Bazooka 6" and 8" powered subwoofer with 50 to100 watts just for some base, don't need to shake any windows.
What about these slim or compact suwoofers from Pyle, Kenwood or Boss?
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mresky View Post
... So i would love to see some of the options and things everyone else did on theirs. thanks
I mounted a 4 channel amplifier under the passenger's seat. The wiring is done in such a way that the seat can still be swung forward and back without binding up the wiring. This makes for a 99.9% stealth amplifier, although I can't say it would be totally protected from the elements especially if a lot of mud was flying up from the front wheels.

The trick is to find an amplifier that physically fits under there, which isn't too difficult especially with modern amplifiers that are more efficient and come in smaller enclosures.

I used Mod Pods for the 5.25" speaker enclosures, a custom built sub cabinet, and the stock location for the head unit. I have actually changed some elements of my original work (changed the amplifier, removed the Epicenter, added an equalizer, moved the tweeters onto the dash panel) but the basic layout is the same.

Here's the first post of the stereo install, and there are 3 other posts after that.
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
esalamanca_usmc
1981 CJ7 

my set up

I was able to pick up a Tuffy for 50 bucks. the PO even threw in the old amp. Still worked.

I left the old school deck in the dash, kind of as a decoy to deter thieves since it doesn't look like a high end stereo. Sanded and repainted the tuffy and put a brand new kenwood in the Tuffy.

I mounted the amp under the drivers seat. And I have it wired to two 6.5" marine speakers in the rear. I made ammo can speaker boxes which actually put out a good amount of bass for 2-ways, with the help of the amp. I stuffed the speaker boxes with memory foam to deaden any echo.

The new stereo deck has a bluetooth feature that connects to your phone when you get a phone call. I got the idea of wiring the mic along with the CB mic. So heres the bluetooth mic mounted on the CB hand set.
esalamanca_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
esalamanca_usmc
1981 CJ7 

*correction on my last post- its a Pioneer deck, not a kenwood.

Also- those marine speakers are Pyles. Awesome speakers. Best part about them is- got them free (brand new) from my cousin who wires cop cars.
esalamanca_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.