Jeep Stalls Out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Stalls Out

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Jeep Stalls Out

I need help. I have a 1980 CJ7 with a 304. The 304 has holley projection, a crower cam, edelbrock intake and assorted other bolt ons. My problem is that it idles fine but as soon as you start to drive it stalls out. You can drive it in four low but none of the others. I checked the plugs, timing and vacum advance, replaced the plug wires, cap, and rotor as well as the fuel filter. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Jami

Unread 03-19-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

Hey Jami, It sounds like the engine needs to be running at a higher rpm if it only runs in low range.
maybe a fuel pump problem?
I'm not familiar with those F.I. systems does it have an electric fuel pump? is it putting out enough pressure? They usually require a certain amount of pressure to work properly. or do you have a stock pump that may be bad? maybe holley has a tech support line you can call.
I am curios about that fuel injection though, how do you like it? have you had a chance to use it or did you just install the system? good luck!
jason
I think i have read that it is sopposed to be used with the stock manifold.
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Bulletproofcj7

It does'nt have a points distributer does it?
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:11 AM   #4
Jami
1973 CJ6 

The system does have an electric fuel pump, but I have not gotten around to check the pressure. That will probably be my next step to check it in both lines(it has a return). I haven't had the system on long but it was used(it was used on this engine). It ran great and I like it's flexibility of adjustment. I will keep you posted.
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Sorry,
No it does not have a points distributor, it has a Mallory magnetic breakerless distributor and pro master coil..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.