Jeep shut off and died in a shallow puddle??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep shut off and died in a shallow puddle???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Jeep shut off and died in a shallow puddle???

1985 jeep cj7 258

I was messing around in a water hole last night (water barely reached my hubcap) and I was in 4 low just playing around spinnin all four tires and all of a sudden my jeep just shut off and when I turn the key my lights and everything still come on but when I go to crank it all it does is Dim my headlights & doesn't even try to start all it does is make a single click sound somewhere by the motor when I turn the key to start position .

Im still learning my way around how stuff works but I'm thinking water in my distributor? but it looked bone dry.
Also Air filter seemed dry

Any ideas anyone?

Swampjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The headlights dimming when trying to start it is a sign of low voltage in the battery.
The clicking is the solonoid doing it's thing, but not enough power to turn the starter.
If the distributer was wet, it would crank , but not start.

Have the battery tested, and go from there. Start at the beginning, as my dad always said.
Unread 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

In a case like this it's plausible that the alternator quit supplying power to the battery. I'm assuming the engine cranked over strong at the beginning of your adventure, so that rules out dirty cable connections.

Driving around on battery power at night only works for a short while until the ignition system and lights drains the juice left in the battery down far enough to kill the engine.

Of course it had to wait until you were in a puddle to cut off the engine. That sounds just right

After you get your battery charged up just put a volt meter on it with the engine running. Should be registering somewhere around 14 volts and will slowly drop down to 13.5 as the battery is topped off after cranking it up. If it's 12.5 volts with engine running then the alternator is not supplying power.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Swampjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Tomorrow will be the first time I have a chance to mess with it, will definitely check these things out first. Thanks!
Swampjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I had that problem. Turns out that my Motorola alternator was worn out, probly had bad insulation , and killed the engine when water got in it..
Unread 11-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would be checking the connections on the main battery cables first. The bumping around might have knocked one loose or a dirty connection decided the water was the last straw and quit. Don't forget the cables have two ends...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.