Jeep not turning over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep not turning over

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

Jeep not turning over

This is a simple question with simple answers but I figured I'd post incase I miss anything. Last night, I went out to my CJ7 to go somewhere and when I turned they key, it wouldn't turn over but there was a small short noise like a click or thunk. I couldn't turn on any lights but my radio and interior lights came on. When I tried to turn on my lights with my interior light on, it took the juice from them. This morning I jumped it and figured it was the battery and drive to austozone. They ran a check and it came out fine. I have noticed that my horn has been very sensitive and sometimes will turn on without my pressing it, just turning the wheel. I'm thinking its some kind of short, my battery had just enough of a charge on it to pass, or something weird with my alternator (I just had work done on it in the past few months.) any other ideas?

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

You might check the connection between the solenoid and the starter motor - or your grounds. As many have said here before, if it's a wiring problem, 90% of the time it's the grounds.
PostDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Easy check on the alternator is get her running and probe the battery posts with a voltmeter.

A good battery will sit mid to high 13 volts across the posts without the jeep running

A good alternator will sit mid to high 14 volts across the battery posts.

Also check your battery connections and alternator connections.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

If your alternator tests good, you can pull the ground wire off your battery while its off and sitting and run an ammeter from the negative wire to the negative post to see if you have a short pulling current while the jeep sits.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

Thanks everyone. It was the started cylinder and the faulty wiring between it and the starter.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.