Jeep is not level - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
ggking7
1960 CJ6 

Jeep is not level

I've always kept my CJ6 in the driveway of my old house which is on a slant. I just moved and now it's in the garage which is flat and I can see that the Jeep is far from level. How can I figure out what's wrong? The PO did say he replaced the leaf springs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The "Jeep Lean" is very common in CJs and usually a result of a bent frame. Some even came that way from the factory.

Place your CJ on jack stands located at the flat center section of the frame rails, then measure how far each corner of the frame is from the ground.

Matt
pedal2themetai likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 12:06 PM
gmakra1

Look up Jeep lean its been covered numerous times here and it basicly is adding a 1 inch shim on the high rear side between the axle perch and the spring.
It lowers the high side and levels out the Joop.

post #4 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

When you say level, you mean front to rear, or left to right?

If the latter, It can also be as simple as swapping spring packs side to side.

Before you do anything, you need to measure. I'd do it with and without your tires on for reference.

Pics too please (because 6's are cool)

Hoss

"three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."
post #5 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I wonder how many CJ frames were bent from owners trying to mimic the jumping and other silliness in old ads like this one:

OP, the shimming solution George mentioned applies to the specific "Jeep lean" that came from the factory. Your lean may, or may not be the same problem. Pics would certainly help us offer solutions to your specific situation.

Matt

post #6 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Great video. At that point, with a 32 year history (including the MB/GPW), who would have thought the CJ-5 would be forced out of production in only 10 more years?
post #7 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
ggking7
1960 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The "Jeep Lean" is very common in CJs and usually a result of a bent frame. Some even came that way from the factory.

Place your CJ on jack stands located at the flat center section of the frame rails, then measure how far each corner of the frame is from the ground.
Do I need 4 jack stands to do this? Any way to figure it out with 2?

I just looked at those flat rail sections and one side sure looks slightly turned out toward the outside of the Jeep while the other side looks flat. There are a lot of shims between the body and frame from the PO too. I bet this frame is all bent out of shape.

BTW the problem is left-right, not front-rear.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You really need 4 jack stands.

The idea is to support the entire vehicle up off the suspension (wheels in the air), by the flat section of the frame in-between the wheels. Then measure the 4 corners of the frame to the ground. The front corners should be the same measurement, likewise on the rear corners.

Matt

post #9 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM
whatsupdoc2day

Just turn your beer can mouth toward the lean in cup holder....it will seem more level if u drink six.

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)
post #10 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Matt is correct, but for starters, measure the distance from the bottom of the frame rail to the top of the spring (or axle) at the front, middle and rear of spring.

If those aredifferent side to side, it's your springs. If the same side to side, it's your frame.

Hoss

"three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."
post #11 of 24 Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggking7 View Post
I've always kept my CJ6 in the driveway of my old house which is on a slant. I just moved and now it's in the garage which is flat and I can see that the Jeep is far from level. How can I figure out what's wrong? The PO did say he replaced the leaf springs.
Obviously you need to cut a slant back in the driveway........

This was a common issue with CJ's especially the pre 71's due to the drivetrain being offset to the drivers side, the gas tank on the drivers side and, yes, say it, the driver on the drivers side.

Quote:
JeepdaddyRC who would have thought the CJ-5 would be forced out of production in only 10 years?
Pretty sure the run was about 28 years...

bazinga
post #12 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 PM
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Hey boss the hauler just unloaded the 5 CJ's we ordered. Do they look ok? Well two are sitting level. Well fix them and clean up the three and park em on the lot
post #13 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
ggking7
1960 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Matt is correct, but for starters, measure the distance from the bottom of the frame rail to the top of the spring (or axle) at the front, middle and rear of spring.

If those aredifferent side to side, it's your springs. If the same side to side, it's your frame.
I guess this is good news. The rear spring measurements are identical or nearly identical, but the front measurements are different with the biggest difference being 5 11/16" vs 6 3/4" left vs right from the bottom of the frame to the top of the middle of the leaf spring. So bad springs? Or maybe a bad install? The PO said he did install new leaf springs.

Here's a photo of the seams in the garage door compared to how the Jeep sits. (That's a heater installed by the PO.)
Attached Thumbnails
level.jpg  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Swap the front springs from side to side.

If that doesn't straighten out the lean, or cause the lean to go in the other direction, it's the frame.

Matt

post #15 of 24 Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
ggking7
1960 CJ6 

Can I do that with a jack and a pair of stands?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.