Jeep not firing/starting...HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep not firing/starting...HELP

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

Jeep not firing/starting...HELP

Bear with me and let me tell you where I'm at. The motor is an all stock 1979 304. It quit while driving around the campground a few weeks ago and couldn't get it started so we pushed it back to the campsite and later got it started again. Restarted it again at some point later and went out into the dunes. I couldn't tell if it was really running rougher than normal or missing a bunch but it did seem lower in power just getting back into the dunes. It quit on me a half hour or so later but the idle is kinda low and that would not be odd in itself if you don't feather the gas a little sometimes but I could not restart it since. Now I did notice at one point at the campsite the key was left in the on position but I don't recall if it was before or after the first stalling and at the time I was not aware of the damage it could do so I turned it off and didn't worry about it. At some point after we were home and it was rolled off the trailer into the garage I noticed someone had left the key in the on position again and by this time I had googled enough to be aware off the problems this can cause. I turned it off and could barely touch the coil it was so hot, needless to say the battery was dead. Anyway, I got a new coil and still no start. At first I thought maybe a fuel problem but I can see the gas spray in carb when I step on the pedal. I took the line off on motor side of filter and cranked it and got about a cup of gas in 15 seconds so seems to be pumping fine with no filter problems. I sprayed starter fluid in carb and still no start. The front plug smells like gas when removed after trying to start. The 2 plugs I looked at appear to have spark when cranking but no way to tell how strong it is. I did some testing with a probe light as per advice from jeephammer in another post and the coil and module appear to check out OK.

Quote:
Testing the ignition module 'Ground'...

Check for 'Ground' at the coil wire 'Green' wire.
Do this by hooking up one side of your tester to the battery POSITIVE,
Then probe the coil 'Green' wire.

With the key switch in the 'Run' position, you should show a constant 'Ground'.
This will tell you the 'Green' wire is connected to the module, and the module is getting 'Ground' through the 'Black' wire.

With the engine cranking, you should show a 'Flashing' or 'On/Off/On' while the engine is cranking.

If you are getting the 'On/Off/On' while cranking (Flashing test light) then the distributor/module is working.

This means the distributor is triggering the module, both distributor and module are working.

I am about to replace the plugs/wires/cap/rotor but it just seems like maybe I am missing something. I know they don't really cost that much but if that doesn't do it whats next, the module? than what? Hate to just start throwing money at all kinds of new parts just because I have no clue what's wrong. I want it running but I'm scratching my head here. Thanks

Unread 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Find out WHY you have no spark BEFORE you piss money at it in guess'n.
Is this a points type ign? Replace the points and condenser and if it then starts, set the dwell and ign timing.
LG
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

"75 should be Prestolite...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

Jeep is 1975 frame/body...the motor and ignition is 1979 and not points...not sure what else to check. I don't have a way to actually check the plug voltage or coil wire voltage. might just have to replace to see if that fixes. any other ideas what I could check first?
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Do you have the return line on your fuel filter?
Is that return line fitting at the 12 O'clock position?
Ck your fuel pump for psi.
LG
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Pigtrail23
1976 CJ5 

Hard start....rough idle.....I would check the timing. Could have jumped a tooth to two
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
yleefox

Easy enough to pull a spark plug, put the plug wire back on it and lay it on an exhaust manifold (for a ground) have someone turn the engine over with the key while watching for a spark at the spark plugs gap. It should be blue, but any spark at all is a start. I would also check the distributor to make certain the hold down bolt hasn't worked loose and allow the distributor to turn. Just grasp the upper part of the unit and see if you can turn it with moderate pressure. Let us know what you find.
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the replies. The distributor is def not loose and I did look at the spark from 2 plugs the other day and I thought they should have looked a little more blue but hard to tell. I know I have power going to the coil and it's a new coil, maybe replacing the wires/cap/rotor is the only way to know. Any other thoughts?
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Put your old coil back in and try that.
Sounds like you may have lost your module, inside the dizzy.
LG
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
yleefox

No popping, backfiring, or anything like that coming out the carb or the exhaust correct?
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

LG, it didn't work with the old coil before, why would it now? Not sure I understand what I hope to learn by doing that.

yleefox, that is correct...just turns over and over and over and doesn't sound like it even wants to start. Would it not sputter or backfire if the timing chain had jumped teeth?
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If you look down the carb and give the throttle a twist, do you see two shots of gas going in? How old is the gas filter?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

quickest way to eliminate a fuel problem is to spray something flammable, ether/brake clean, in the carb. and see if it attempts to start.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

I did see the two shots of gas in the carb from the throttle and the filter itself prob has less than 100 gallons through it. It would seem like if it had any reasonable spark at all it would at least try to start with the starter fluid sprayed in it. I looked at the spark again last night in pitch black and I would have to say it is not blue but more just plain orange or yellow. Coil/plug wires? rotor or dist. contacts?
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Make sure the fuel filter return is at 12 o'clock position.
Go throught and ck ALL ele. connections.
FWIW: The horseshoe connector on the coil is the source of allot of ign issues.
I.E. weak spark--
BTW-Forgot you had a 'no-fire' with the OEM coil--CRS is a bi'ch at times
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.