Jeep Noob.. 79 CJ7 intro and question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Noob.. 79 CJ7 intro and question.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
1979er
1979 CJ7 

Jeep Noob.. 79 CJ7 intro and question.

Hey all,

Just got a '79 CJ7 last week, my first. My apologies for the long post, but just wanted to let y'all know where I'm at so you can provide any feedback you like. Here's the details:

304 V8, runs ok, idles a little rough.
Recently Rebuilt T150
Not sure about the Tcase model
New Wheels and Tires
New front brakes (complete)
Decent tub and fenders
Horrid camo spraypaint job

I started tearing down this weekend, and I have a long way to go. This time around I'm not going to do a complete frame-off rebuild, but will be giving the motor a "tune up", sanding and repainting the interior and exterior, and probably rewiring (I'm afraid of what I'll find when I take the dash apart..)

It's my understanding I'm still too new to post pics in a thread, so here's the link to my picasa gallery - Picasa Web Albums - Tim - Jeep feel free to take a look and let me know what you think.

I also have a question - I found about a 2" x 1" chunk missing from the front of the bell housing - other than the obvious water/mud/dirt intrusion issues this could cause/have caused, is a patch job possible without an engine pull?

Thanks for any input you can provide..

Tim

1979er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

The bell housing is going to be hard to repair. I beleive it is pot metal which is difficult to weld. You could try some liquid metal with a scab patch. If you plan on doing any heavy wheeling you might rn inot problems with structural issues when the drive train twists and the associated torque
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

A few click free for you.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
1979er
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
The bell housing is going to be hard to repair. I beleive it is pot metal which is difficult to weld. You could try some liquid metal with a scab patch. If you plan on doing any heavy wheeling you might rn inot problems with structural issues when the drive train twists and the associated torque
Appreciate the info on the bell housing - a patch job will have to suffice for now.

Coiz - Appreciate you posting the pics man. Here's what I have learned thus far in my short time with my Jeep: Beers left on the front fender will more than likely end up being knocked off, and 99.9% of all screws, nuts and bolts will need to be grinded, cut off or just left for some other time..
1979er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979er View Post
Appreciate the info on the bell housing - a patch job will have to suffice for now.

Coiz - Appreciate you posting the pics man. Here's what I have learned thus far in my short time with my Jeep: Beers left on the front fender will more than likely end up being knocked off, and 99.9% of all screws, nuts and bolts will need to be grinded, cut off or just left for some other time..
Yup, he's a Jeep owner!

trailhead

Tags
1979 , 304 , cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.